Interesting puzzle from 1864 Illustrated London News

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
plook

Interesting puzzle from 1864 Illustrated London News

Post by plook »

I happened across this chess puzzle from the 1864 Illustrated London News and it has one of the most interesting solutions I've seen. White to move, mate in three. I must admit that I could not find the solution, and after a few minutes consulted Stockfish. Perhaps most of you will not be as challenged (or impressed) as I was by this puzzle, but I share it all the same. Of course, the game is millennia old, but it's interesting to see what was being done in just the previous century.

FEN:

Code: Select all

8/4Kp2/Q2N4/BPp1kb1r/1bPR4/8/3P4/2N5 w - - 
Or a thoroughly modern version here.

Large embedded image Regards,

Douglas
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Greetings Douglas:

There were a plethora of great chess problem composers in the 19th century, not the least of which being the American puzzle composer and strong tournament chess player, Sam Loyd:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sam_Loyd

It never ceases to amaze me what people accomplished in the pre-technology, pre-television days.
I’m also a fan of the antique spring powered jukeboxes and mechanical contrivances of this era.

:idea: Candlepower and Printing Presses Regards,
John
Larry

Post by Larry »

For some really good mate in 3's and mate in 4's a good book
called "Blackburne's Chess Games" comes in handy. I used to
use it to test mating times for dedicated chess comps. To me, it's
a bundle of fun. As short as the mates are, they are brain twisters.
L
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Larry wrote:For some really good mate in 3's and mate in 4's a good book
called "Blackburne's Chess Games" comes in handy. I used to
use it to test mating times for dedicated chess comps. To me, it's
a bundle of fun. As short as the mates are, they are brain twisters.
L
Greetings Larry:

Back in the days when dedicated computers were in their infancy (the late 1970’s), there was a chess shop in New York City that set up a mate in 5 puzzle on a demo board. The puzzle would remain on the board for the entire month, and a generous prize was offered to anyone that solved the puzzle within that time. On most months the prize went unclaimed, and a new puzzle would be presented on the subsequent month. The proprietor owned a rare, out of print book of chess problems that was used to draw spectators to the shop and promote interest in chess.

Prospective solvers were completely free to jot down the position and work on the solution at home, but due to the complex nature of mate in 5 puzzles, the owner seldom issued the prize to anyone. The names and date of solution were prominently displayed alongside the demo board of the few that did manage to successfully solve the problem for a given month.

:arrow: White to move... Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Nice classic puzzle Douglas.

I was able to work out mate in five with the starting move of Nf7.

Being impatient (and it was getting late), I finally broke down and plugged the position into HIARCS.

A-ha! I didn't think of that move...

Greg
plook

Post by plook »

fourthirty wrote:Nice classic puzzle Douglas.

I was able to work out mate in five with the starting move of Nf7.

Being impatient (and it was getting late), I finally broke down and plugged the position into HIARCS.

A-ha! I didn't think of that move...

Greg
Greetings, Greg. I'm glad you enjoyed this 151 year-old puzzle as much as I did. I hadn't considered that move, either.

WRT Nf7 leading to mate in five, I thought I had worked through it, as well, but then found an unforced black alternative reply to move 2 that goes well beyond 5.

Slippery opponent Regards,

Douglas
plook

Post by plook »

plook wrote:WRT Nf7 leading to mate in five, I thought I had worked through it, as well, but then found an unforced black alternative reply to move 2 that goes well beyond 5.
EDIT: OK, I see now that it's possible to mate in five no matter which black reply is made in move 2. :-)