Fidelity Spare Parts

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Mike Watters

Fidelity Spare Parts

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi All

Yesterday I went down to Wokingham to see a chap called Peter Roberts.
Peter was Terry Knight's repairman at 'Competence', from the mid 1980s until Terry died in 2000. Therefore he repaired hundreds of chess computers, the vast majority Fidelitys. Although the boards and pcbs were claimed back by Terry's widow on behalf of the company, Peter was able to keep a lot of chips and other spare parts. He got in touch and offered me the parts which I was happy to buy.

The picture shows most of the hoard. There's processors, Roms, crystals and many types of chip (most unlabelled) for models right from the CC7 all the way to the later Avant Gardes. Chesspieces, LED and LCD displays, switches, speakers, Phantom belts and all sorts, even two packs of Bridge Challenger cards. Most of the parts still look in good condition. Some may be of doubtful value because there are cheap modern equivalents but I assume that some of the chips will be of interest along with other parts which may be missing or broken on people's Fidelitys.

It will take a while to catalogue what there is. When I've finished I will put a list on my website repairs section with some method for dealing with requests for parts. Any reasonable suggestions gratefully received.

Although Peter still dabbles with computers and gadgets of all sorts he says his eyesight is no longer up to doing chess computer repairs, more's the pity.

Faulty Fidelity regards
Mike

kgvetter

Post by kgvetter »

Hello Mike,

I am very interested in the Avantgarde (or AS)-pieces. Many years they were easy to get by from classic games and chess but they have not reacted to my last order. I would pay even a high price..

Please let me know if you are willing to sell them to me.

Gerhard Vetter (aeromotor(@)netcologne.de)

Leave the 4 brackets off naturally. It would be great to hear from you!

Best wishes,

Gerhard
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Hello Mike,

Are there a second set of chessmen for the A/S or Avant Garde? I'd also need a set. Just PM me.

Thank you,
Dave
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Hi Mike,

I'm in need a replacement game ROM for a Fidelity Designer Display 2100 if you have one. It's a 27c256 with "6I" sticker over the glass window. Also the original manual as well.

Needy Regards,

Your Pal
tt
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hello Gerhard, Dave C and trontreez

Having sorted out the Elite chesspieces, they include two complete sets and these are now shown on the Sale & Swap webpage, at the bottom. However one set is now sold. If you are still interested in the other set please let me know what your offer is.

Other than that I am making a note of people's PMs etc expressing interest in specific parts but I will not be repeatedly trawling through the collection looking for these parts, as this would soon become chaotic. When I have got a list I will post it on the Repairs section of my website, also post the information here, and let people know who have made requests. Please bear with me.

Chips with everything regards
Mike
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

trontreez wrote:Hi Mike,

I'm in need a replacement game ROM for a Fidelity Designer Display 2100 if you have one. It's a 27c256 with "6I" sticker over the glass window. Also the original manual as well.

Needy Regards,

Your Pal
tt
Hi trontreez

I have come across a few ROMs with the 27C256 number, they seem to be a common 32K ROM. But none with the 6I sticker. The vast majority of ROMs I am finding don't have any stickers.
Here is a photo of the four ROMs so far and I expect to find more.

Do you have any more details, a photo?

All the best
Mike
trontreez

Post by trontreez »

Hi Mike,

I already sold my Designer Display 2100 so am no longer in need of the said ROM. I believe it's going to be turned in a Mach V monster on a 68030 running at 50Mhz! A chess hybrid of the highest order and just enough to make Steve B sick I hope lol

I'm also after some 62C64-55/70 RAM chips now and a rare 5,626 Mhz frequency quartz crystal with form HC-49/U.

I'm no expert but am thinking if the ROMs have no stickers on top they're likely to be blank ones ...

There's no rush on my part so I'm happy to wait until you catalog and document it all on your website.

Curiouser and curiouser regards,

Your Pal
tt
Mike Watters

Post by Mike Watters »

Hi All

The list of spare parts is now up on my website -

http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/fid ... parts.html

Hopefully people will help out in identifying which chips go with which Fidelity. I don't want to provide parts to modders, traders or hoarders but if that leaves anyone you are more than welcome to make requests.

Perhaps some of this stuff isn't worth keeping if there are cheap easily obtained modern equivalents?

All the best
Mike