My Black Beast...

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

My Black Beast...

Post by Fernando »

Who does not have a black beast, an adversary that even if he is theoretically not your superior, even your inferior, nevertheless pounds on you almost every time?
Mine is Travel Champion Kasparov. Here it is at my side and at my sight, looking at me with a devious smile as I write. It is, supposedly, a 2054 Elo machine, probably less and even if 2054 theoretically well under my Elo. But I cannot remember once I have ever beat it!
I believe it is empowered by Fritz 1. This was a remarkable DOS engine at the beginning of the 90's. Surely I played it in a PC of that age and I won it. Nevertheless this plastic incarnation that surely runs lot slower than his PC brother has me every time
WHY?

I suppose that his mix of positional lack of acumen but sharp tactics are to blame. The first gives me once and again too much confidence every time I get a far superior position. From that comes nemesis, over confidence, relaxation, certain urgency to finish the job with a jab. And then he comes and surprise you with a kick in your balls!!!

I know that and I fall the same in the same attitude. No way. It is like a destiny. A sortilege....

Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Wait until you see the cost of your 2 Chess Genius's
you will not be a ...

Happy Puppy Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:Wait until you see the cost of your 2 Chess Genius's
you will ...

Not Be Happy Regards
Steve
TWO?
No.
I already explained to Quentin that it will be ONE.
BTW, yesterday he received his load of them...but not time yet to put them in the ICD page.
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
you will ...

Not Be Happy Regards
Steve
TWO?
No.
BTW, yesterday he received his load of them...but not time yet to put them in the ICD page.
You will not be happy with the price of one either

Loyalty Premium Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
you will ...

Not Be Happy Regards
Steve
TWO?
No.
You will not be happy with the price of one either

I know the price....around 180...more delivery
I know I will expend around 250 in total
So what?
I am brutally rich regards
Fern

Loyalty Premium Regards
Steve
Festina Lente
scandien

Post by scandien »

Hello,

i found your post interesting and and i perform some calculations about my performance versus different families of machine.

Some statistic ( specially versus Fritz family)are based on old results but i think there are relevant :

Versus Fritz ( program fritz 1 and Turbo Advanced trainer ) : i scored only a performance at 1718 ! ( the results are based on a match plaid in 2010 after a long interruption of playing).

Versus the Kapplan Family ( CC 2150L , Saitek CORONA, Scysis Turbo 16K, Yeno 416 XL): i scored at a 1925 level .

Versus the Kittinger Family ( SUPER VIP, Zircon, Constellation 3.6, Sapphire): i scored at a 2026 level .

Versus the Tiger Family ( Palm Tiger ): i scored at a 2127 level .

Versus the REBEL Family ( REBEL, MMIV , MMV , POLGAR ): i scored at a 2029 level

Versus the PSION Family ( PSION 2.17 and MEPHISTO ROMA2 ): i scored at a 2500 level ( only victories)

Obviously i am better when i am facing solid but not very active opponents.

The FRITZ based program are known to be very active and sharp ( i don't like to be under pressure). May be now i can have better result will see in the future. But i know that i don't like facing aggressive opponents. Wen i am playing versus those machine i must be very careful.

Lang and Schröder program are known to be solid, playing cautiously and to take advantage of opponent faults. They are very strong too. I am really efficient versus such opponents, as they are letting me to develop my own plan without pressure.

The kaplan program are interesting too. They are not s strong ( compare to other ) but i found their playing style very interesting and they are very efficient versus human! They may found sometime interesting move or combination , but as human they may be wrong. The main challenge with them is to know when they are right and when they are wrong.

Older program such as CONCHESS based , or Excalibur are not efficient.

best Regards

Nicolas
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

scandien wrote:Hello,

i found your post interesting and and i perform some calculations about my performance versus different families of machine.

Some statistic ( specially versus Fritz family)are based on old results but i think there are relevant :

Versus Fritz ( program fritz 1 and Turbo Advanced trainer ) : i scored only a performance at 1718 ! ( the results are based on a match plaid in 2010 after a long interruption of playing).

Versus the Kapplan Family ( CC 2150L , Saitek CORONA, Scysis Turbo 16K, Yeno 416 XL): i scored at a 1925 level .

Versus the Kittinger Family ( SUPER VIP, Zircon, Constellation 3.6, Sapphire): i scored at a 2026 level .

Versus the Tiger Family ( Palm Tiger ): i scored at a 2127 level .

Versus the REBEL Family ( REBEL, MMIV , MMV , POLGAR ): i scored at a 2029 level

Versus the PSION Family ( PSION 2.17 and MEPHISTO ROMA2 ): i scored at a 2500 level ( only victories)

Obviously i am better when i am facing solid but not very active opponents.

The FRITZ based program are known to be very active and sharp ( i don't like to be under pressure). May be now i can have better result will see in the future. But i know that i don't like facing aggressive opponents. Wen i am playing versus those machine i must be very careful.

Lang and Schröder program are known to be solid, playing cautiously and to take advantage of opponent faults. They are very strong too. I am really efficient versus such opponents, as they are letting me to develop my own plan without pressure.

The kaplan program are interesting too. They are not s strong ( compare to other ) but i found their playing style very interesting and they are very efficient versus human! They may found sometime interesting move or combination , but as human they may be wrong. The main challenge with them is to know when they are right and when they are wrong.

Older program such as CONCHESS based , or Excalibur are not efficient.

best Regards

Nicolas

Same here. Curiosly enough, I am a tactician prone to look how to sacrifice my queen as Tolush said, but I am always in problems with my own medicine.
Festina Lente