Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Murat

Post by Murat »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:
Murat wrote:Make the squares non glossy.
Not that it addresses your other concerns, but the squares do actually have the traditional textured mat finish we associate with sensory boards. The glossy squares are the result of a publicity mock-up that was required prior to actual manufacturing commencement. .
Thank you very much for this. it's good to know.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:Use a normal light instead the backlight.
Thanks for the tip
makes sense for the computer to have a backlight option but then we cant use it because it turns off too quickly every 60 sec.

In The Dark Regards
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

Steve B wrote:
Thanks for the tip
makes sense for the computer to have a backlight option but then we cant use it because it turns off too quickly every 60 sec.

In The Dark Regards
Steve
It's Christmas. Use Christmas lights.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

mclane wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Thanks for the tip

In The Dark Regards
Steve
It's Christmas. Use Christmas lights.
i think i might need better lighting because i cant see your answer to my question earlier...

http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=74475#74475

performance elo calculation for MCG in the Tournament Regards?
Steve
mclane

Post by mclane »

No sorry.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I continue to be conflicted over this unit. The firmware or playing experience as described by Jon, SteveB and others seems so much better than many of my boards, but, so far I can't get over the design. It reminds me too much of this (an awful unit that has sat in its box for 5 years after only playing it once):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excalibur-Einst ... 2006244773?

Ugly Duckling and Swan Regards,
Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

SirDave wrote:I continue to be conflicted over this unit. The firmware or playing experience as described by Jon, SteveB and others seems so much better than many of my boards, but, so far I can't get over the design. It reminds me too much of this (an awful unit that has sat in its box for 5 years after only playing it once):

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Excalibur-Einst ... 2006244773?

Ugly Duckling and Swan Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave
well to be honest..you would be buying this unit principally for the strength of the program at the low price
the display is great but the board itself is nothing to ring home about
the pieces are really quite cheaply made and i didnt even remove them from the plastic tray..never plan on ever using them
the housing is very light weight and has the feel of being cheaply made
proof of this is we have Jon..the plastic master ..saying for the first time i can remember that he would like to see this in a wooden board
if you buy it with very high expectations for the playing strength and very low expectations for anything else about it i think you will not be disappointed

Its Xmas Time ...Treat Yourself Regards
Steve
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

I agree with Steve 100%. You have to go into this purchase with the mindset of buying a strong, human-like dedicated machine at what is a bargain price. And an acceptance that in 2015 - as has been the case for 2 decades plus in various manufacturing industries - cost cutting is extremely evident in order to deliver an excellent performance to cost ratio. With performance having nothing to do with actual presentation.

If someone wants build quality as a consideration these days the only real options are the Revelation II or the various DGT e-boards (which of course need a computer and engine).

Mind you, if Millennium were to ask me to be a consultant on a future machine, I would be happy to provide them with expert advise that would result in a machine that would make absolutely everyone here happy for the additional manufacturing cost of about $5 - $10. It's all about the plastic and aesthetics - seriously - it is, and it isn't rocket science. I am Mr. Plastic and I am at your service Mr. Millennium. Give me a call :lol:
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Monsieur Of This Ugly Material,
Monsieur Plastique wrote: ....Mind you, if Millennium were to ask me to be a consultant on a future machine.......
or me....! 8)

As I mentioned earlier,
blaubaer wrote:
Monsieur Plastique wrote:Or a deluxe wooden one reminiscent of the Monte Carlo style housing of the golden-age Mephistos.
In terms of physical appearance, I can see some enterprising people buying these machines and making aftermarket deluxe versions.
fortunately there are always chances for new projects to start...

I need more time besides the 24 hs per day...
after solving some problems like convert reed switch signals into these "nice" pressure sensor signals (ideas are welcome!), I'll be happy to assist you! :P

Consultant Regards,
Michael
Monsieur Plastique

Post by Monsieur Plastique »

RadioSmall wrote:Amazingly for chess Genius 34. c4 would have held the game .....( It takes 4 seconds for Chess Genius running on my android tablet to find this although its first choice is 34.c3......).......
Interesting...your post made me think a bit more about this. When we first saw the MCG games from Millennium themselves (i.e. well before the units were commercially available), I determined that I could emulate the moves of MCG on my Genius Windows Phone by setting the level to 3 seconds per move, pondering off, hash tables at minimum. Obviously the opening books are different but otherwise the moves matched exactly and any variances were only down to the flexible time usage algorithms employed by the MCG at tournament level.

So it would seem to be that the size of hash tables are what pulls the MCG back in the endgame. I am not sure how big they are (does anyone know - is it published anywhere?) but quite simply the MCG cannot match the search depth of my phone version when given that same 3 seconds in the endgame. Since it matches it in the middlegame, however, this would mean the small hash size is handicapping the endgame search depth - especially in positions such as the one I reached where there are a relatively limited number of permutations, no pieces on the board but a deep search is nonetheless required. Obviously when I say handicap, that is relative is it still seems to be comparable to any other old premium 32 bit Mephistos (bar the engine-in-a-wooden-box ones such as WunderMachine) and even the last generation top of the line Novags.
Chess is like painting the Mona Lisa whilst walking through a minefield.
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote: makes sense for the computer to have a backlight option
Which means you could also play with it under the bed covers at night with no pieces by just pressing on the squares with your finger and reading the LCD board like...

...a naughty little boy Regards
The Klute offers you the white pieces and the advantage of the first move.
klute

Post by klute »

SirDave wrote:I continue to be conflicted over this unit.
Dave

In the plastic so to speak, the ChessGenius is a wondrous machine to behold and light years ahead in build quality (inside and out) compared to anything with an Excalibur / Einstein badge on it.

As for strength, no Excalibur / Einstein ever made would have a snowball's chance in the hot toasty place of getting a look-in.

...don't be afraid Regards
klute

Post by klute »

Monsieur Plastique wrote:I am Mr. Plastic
No! I am Mr Plastic!

Spartacus Regards
klute

Post by klute »

Steve B wrote:the pieces are really quite cheaply made and i didnt even remove them from the plastic tray..never plan on ever using them
Could this be the first signs of a...

...Born Again Minty Steve?
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

klute wrote:
Steve B wrote:the pieces are really quite cheaply made and i didnt even remove them from the plastic tray..never plan on ever using them
Could this be the first signs of a...

...Born Again Minty Steve?
actually i did buy two of these
one i have been putting through rigorous use and the other i havent even opened yet
not sure why i bought two?

Are The Parle Bros. getting into my ...

Subconsious Regards?
Steve