Tasc R30 - Build Chess Pieces On Your Own

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
blaubaer

Tasc R30 - Build Chess Pieces On Your Own

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,

I made an update of my Tasc R30 page and added an instruction on how to build chess pieces on your own. It's in German - use Google's translator (that's real fun - queen=lady) or wait until I'll do the translation :wink:!

Happy soldering :shock: Regards, Michael
chesspcmac

Post by chesspcmac »

Excellent!!! Thanks for Sharing!!! After taking my renewal of medical boards I would try to do this as my pet project. Hopefully by then A translation would be available.

Again...Thank you

Good to know stuff Regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Thanks for sharing this most excellent and informative article!

This is interesting in that rather than utilizing simple reed switches, the TascR30 system uses individual Tank Circuits in each of the pieces. The system polls each square at high speed, and then, according to the resonant frequency, identifies each piece as it changes location. One also has the option of using the originally designed analog board or a digital equivalent. Personally, I’d tend to favor the former due to its inherent simplicity.

Since my understanding of German is quite limited, I used the Google Translator with your page’s URL.

I’m wondering if Dave Kittinger’s WChess program for Windows 98 would work with the 2 EPROM TascR30 system?

Resonant Regards,
John
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Mike and John,
chesspcmac wrote:...Hopefully by then A translation would be available...
I would say yes, because Google Translator has definitely it's limits... :roll:
Cyberchess wrote:....This is interesting in that rather than utilizing simple reed switches, the TascR30 system uses individual Tank Circuits in each of the pieces. The system polls each square at high speed, and then, according to the resonant frequency, identifies each piece as it changes location. One also has the option of using the originally designed analog board or a digital equivalent. Personally, I’d tend to favor the former due to its inherent simplicity....
Absolutely right - but the digital equivalent was a lot cheaper for Tasc to produce, although more components were needed, because the calibration effort was less compared to the analog system. You'll see that when you will produce your own chess pieces - it's try and error...
Cyberchess wrote:...I’m wondering if Dave Kittinger’s WChess program for Windows 98 would work with the 2 EPROM TascR30 system?...
I never tested it, but I'm quite sure that it won't work without adaptation of the WChess software.

Regards, Michael