Chess pieces in setup position

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Laith Hayali

Chess pieces in setup position

Post by Laith Hayali »

I lately installed my purchased HIARCS 10 on my new computer running Vista Business.

I find a problem in that when I press S to go to position setup I see the pieces appear as letters not the chess piece symbols, i.e. RLKQ(white)-rlkq(black).
In the board design it shows no pieces to choose from and the space is blank.

How do I fix this problem. I tried to do a reinstall and it is the same.

Please help.

Is it to do with Vista?

Regards
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: Chess pieces in setup position

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Laith Hayali wrote:I lately installed my purchased HIARCS 10 on my new computer running Vista Business.

I find a problem in that when I press S to go to position setup I see the pieces appear as letters not the chess piece symbols, i.e. RLKQ(white)-rlkq(black).

Please help.

Is it to do with Vista?
Are you using the Chessbase GUI? If so log onto the CB server and download any GUI updates that are there - it does sound like a Vista issue.
Peter Grayson

Post by Peter Grayson »

Laith Hayali wrote:I lately installed my purchased HIARCS 10 on my new computer running Vista Business.

Please help.

Is it to do with Vista?

Regards
If Harvey's solution doesn't work it may be the special fonts have not installed properly. You may need full administrator rights to do this.
You will need to completely uninstall, confirm full admin rights and then reinstall.

You should be able yo view fonts from control panel and see a number of fonts starting with the name Diagram e.g. DiagramTTFritz. I counted 14 so if you cannot see them the fonts have definitely not been installed.
regards,
PeterG
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Peter Grayson wrote:

Please help.

Is it to do with Vista?

Regards
If Harvey's solution doesn't work it may be the special fonts have not installed properly. You may need full administrator rights to do this.
You will need to completely uninstall, confirm full admin rights and then reinstall.

You should be able yo view fonts from control panel and see a number of fonts starting with the name Diagram e.g. DiagramTTFritz. I counted 14 so if you cannot see them the fonts have definitely not been installed.
regards,
PeterG
If this is the CB H10 yes - if it is uci H10 it is the GUI you need to reinstall.