Another Mephisto Berlin Question

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

HI Steve

No 68000 eproms would not work on a 68020. Someone must have had the whole front casing removed and replaced it with a wrong one to make the photo work. Which is strange because to change the eproms you just have to remove the eprom cover.

It's probable that the computer was apart at one time being repaired maybe and the error occurred?

Or the manufacturer's production line was very sloppy.

Or someone, a very clever prior owner underworld figure, figured this would allow him to sell a 68000 to some unsuspecting victim at the higher 68020 price, while keeping the real 68020 for themselves and later sell it as a prototype 68020 LOL. There are enough people out there that don't care about preservation, more important is the computer strength itself irrespective of what is done to it.

regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Or someone, a very clever prior owner underworld figure, figured this would allow him to sell a 68000 to some unsuspecting victim at the higher 68020 price, while keeping the real 68020 for themselves and later sell it as a prototype 68020
Hey Nick

Yes
I think you have constructed the exact scenario
dubious sellers...unknown shadowy previous owners...all in an unregulated internet market place

sadly ..what we are seeing here is a product of the ....

Dark Underbelly Of The Hobby Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Here's how I obtained the Berlin this week.

I have now basically given up buying chess computers from eBay. The ones I would like to own now end up being too expensive.

I do however look at a web site called 'Gumtree'. The only problem with that is that it's mainly just for local pickup. But I have managed to persuade a few sellers in the past to post chess computers and this is what happened with the Berlin.

I noticed an advert for two chess computers for only £25 that had been listed only six hours previously. The advert photo was very poor but I could make out that one was a Mephisto Talking Chess Trainer and the other had 68020 on it. The only problem now was that the seller was in Scotland a few hundred miles away. Obviously getting quite excited I immediately rang the contact number and spoke to a very nice lady who said that they where still available and very kindly agreed to post them to me. Upon arrival I eagerly opened the big cardboard box and out popped a Mephisto carry case with the Berlin inside.

It looks like we will never know what went on with the Berlin, maybe it belonged to the nice lady's late husband, who knows?

Mysterious regards
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Here's how I obtained the Berlin this week.

I immediately rang the contact number and spoke to a very nice lady who said that they where still available and very kindly agreed to post them to me.
and here was your first clue that something was wrong
generally speaking nice little old ladies never post chess computers for sale on the internet
they don't even know what the internet is..let alone a chess computer
it was probably some desperate fugitive ..in hiding..one step ahead of law enforcement.. speaking in a high voice and masquerading as a women
anyway..at least you didn't spend a lot of money
you never mentioned if your computer(whatever version it actually is) even works

FBI Most Wanted Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Yes my old friend, it does work!
LCD is a bit faint but I can live with that.
You win some, you loose some regards
Bryan
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Yes my old friend, it does work!
LCD is a bit faint but I can live with that.
You win some, you loose some regards
Bryan
No matter how you slice it
£25 for a working Berlin-London is a great find

Well Done Regards
Steve
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

NOW FOR SALE

A few months ago I paid £25 for this Berlin London plus £10 postage.

Well, I have never really liked this style of Mephisto board and much prefer my newly acquired Richard Land 'Computachess Champion' (CXG Chess 2001).

So if anyone would like to come to Cheshire with £35 cash then they can have the Berlin London together with its Mephisto carry case.

Please PM me if interested
Larry

Post by Larry »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:NOW FOR SALE

A few months ago I paid £25 for this Berlin London plus £10 postage.

Well, I have never really liked this style of Mephisto board and much prefer my newly acquired Richard Land 'Computachess Champion' (CXG Chess 2001).

So if anyone would like to come to Cheshire with £35 cash then they can have the Berlin London together with its Mephisto carry case.

Please PM me if interested
Hi Bryan, could you please check your pm's
thanks... Larry