Excalibur Chess Products Ron Nelson designed/programmed

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
ChessChallenger

Post by ChessChallenger »

spacious_mind wrote:Hi Ron,

Here is a computer that I found recently that I had not seen before. Unfortunately I know little about it.

Excalibur Model 119E-CS

It is confusing because as you know Model 119E is Chess Express. However it resembles much more the Model 169-E2 Travel Kingmaster II and Radio Shack's Travel C&C Model 60-2219.

It didn't have a manual so I am not really sure what's inside it.

The photos are almost to scale being about 3/4" smaller than the actual chess computer. Actually the last photo (back of computer) is exactly to scale.

Best regards
Hi Nick,

It has been 20 years ago, so I can't remember for sure, but it was the time we were transitioning from Eric's products to our own.

We were replacing Eric's Chess Express 119E with our Squire 117E.
It is possible Shane had a good size order for the Small Peg style 119E and had some Squire 117E units manufactured without the Squire name and had the Rating label on the back made with the Chess Express name and Model 119E.
CS in the Model number means Clam Shell blister card. So having a modified blister card and Instruction Manual would not have been a major problem.

The Lancer Express Model 170SI-C was Eric's Chess Express 119E Peg unit sold to Sharper Image.

In researching this I was curious about what a Travel King Master I model 169E was. It was Eric's Small Peg Style Chess Express with checkers added to it.
Which we replaced with our new Travel King Master II model 169E-2 in our Squire 117E housing.

Regards,
Ron
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

ChessChallenger wrote:
Hi Nick,

It has been 20 years ago, so I can't remember for sure, but it was the time we were transitioning from Eric's products to our own.

It is possible Shane had a good size order for the Small Peg style 119E and had some Squire 117E units manufactured without the Squire name and had the Rating label on the back made with the Chess Express name and Model 119E.
CS in the Model number means Clam Shell blister card. So having a modified blister card and Instruction Manual would not have been a major problem.

The Lancer Express Model 170SI-C was Eric's Chess Express 119E Peg unit sold to Sharper Image.

In researching this I was curious about what a Travel King Master I model 169E was. It was Eric's Small Peg Style Chess Express with checkers added to it.
Which we replaced with our new Travel King Master II model 169E-2 in our Squire 117E housing.

Regards,
Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks, I will try and do some tests with it tomorrow. If it is the Chess Express program, then Level 48 should be it's 30 seconds per move setting.

Best regards
Nick
ChessChallenger

Post by ChessChallenger »

spacious_mind wrote:
ChessChallenger wrote:
Hi Nick,

Regards,
Ron
Hi Ron,

Thanks, I will try and do some tests with it tomorrow. If it is the Chess Express program, then Level 48 should be it's 30 seconds per move setting.

Best regards
No Nick, it is my Squire Model 117E program.
Ron
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

ChessChallenger wrote: No Nick, it is my Squire Model 117E program.
Ron
Ok thanks Ron.
Nick