Ireland's Premier Chessmaster tests Android, Tablet and Ipad

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Ireland's Premier Chessmaster tests Android, Tablet and Ipad

Post by spacious_mind »

I thought I'd put a post together with Bryan's tests. Here is the first one:

TESCO HUDL2 ANDROID TABLET

Based on what I could research Tesco which is a superstore in UK similar to Walmart sold their HUDL 2 Android table for 99 British Pounds = @ $150. It is a Quad Core 16 GB Android Tablet computer with a speed of 1.83 GHz with 2 GB RAM.

HUDL 2 STOCKFISH 7 - TORD ROMSTAD ETC - JAN 2016

Stockfish 7 came out January 2, 2016 and was originally written by Tord Romstad. But nowadays there is a whole team of people working on this project.

TESCO HUDL 2 STOCKFISH 7 FINAL RATING

Well the new Stockfish 7 on a quad core tablet at 1.83 GHz hits top spot with a final rating of ELO 3183.

That's the score to beat folks!

Best regards
Nick
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Now you are making me blush!!

Serious though, what I have noticed is that it also depends on what chess program you run your tests on.

These excellent results where produced with the Droidfish program which is the only 3rd party Android chess programming mentioned on the Stockfish website. I also started the tests on two other Android chess programs that enable the import of UCI engines and their results where not as good and obviously played weaker moves.

The other 3rd party app mentioned on the Stockfish website is Smallfish for the iPhone & iPad. Ted Wong the author has advised me that he has ported Stockfish 7 to Smallfish and is presently awaiting Apple's approval. When it is released, I shall test that also. Unfortunately the official Stockfish app for the iPad contains a older version with no news of v7 being available soon.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Here is another test from Bryan.

APPLE IPAD 3 A5X DUAL CORE

Apple IPad 3 is a 1 GHz dual core ARM-Cortex A9 processor with 32 GB storage and 1 GB RAM. Costs in the US around $499

IPAD 3 HIARCS 13 - MARK UNIACKE - 2013

Hiarcs 13 I believe (not 100% sure) first came out for IPAD in 2012. I am not sure what version Bryan used for this test. The latest IPAD version is 13.7.5

MARK UNIACKE - PROGRAMMER

This is a young Mark Uniacke playing and winning the 1993 World Championships.

The photo is from Thorsten Czub's Hiarcs fan page:

http://thorstenczub.de/hiarcs.html

You should go and read Thorsten's website as it has a lot of good historic information and photos.

Thorsten's Home Page: http://www.thorstenczub.de/

IPAD 3 HIARCS 13 TEST RESULT

IPAD 3 Hiarcs 13 finished with a rating of ELO 2908 placing it currently in 10th place, which is really good for a 1000 MHz Ipad.

Best regards
Nick
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Also Hiarcs is still only using 1 core on the iOS Apple devices. Would like to see Hiarcs use multicore for the added speed.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Cubeman wrote:Also Hiarcs is still only using 1 core on the iOS Apple devices. Would like to see Hiarcs use multicore for the added speed.
Yes if you would like to test it!!

Best regards
Nick
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

I decided to forget about the super chess engines for a while and dug out one of my favourite piece of chess software the Mephisto Meisterschach that contains the Nimzo engine. Although nearly 20 years old and originally for Windows 95/98, I tested it on my Windows XP and its scores where very impressive!

Combined Scores
GM 1 = 2988
GM2 = 2552
GM3 = 2695
GM4 = 2502
GM5 = 2584

spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:I decided to forget about the super chess engines for a while and dug out one of my favourite piece of chess software the Mephisto Meisterschach that contains the Nimzo engine. Although nearly 20 years old and originally for Windows 95/98, I tested it on my Windows XP and its scores where very impressive!

Combined Scores
GM 1 = 2988
GM2 = 2552
GM3 = 2695
GM4 = 2502
GM5 = 2584
That gives Nimzo a combined score of ELO 2634. Do you know what version of Nimzo it is?

Best regards
Nick
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Apparently Nimzo 3
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Bryan recently sent me his test results for Psion 2 (assuming it is Psion version 2.13) tested through DOS Box using his HP Compaq 2.4 GHz 2-Core computer.

HP COMPAQ 8510: INTEL 2 DUO CPU 64 BIT @ 2.40 GHZ: 2GB RAM

It's a little slower than my HP duo core laptop which runs at 2.8 GHZ.

DOSBOX PSION 2 (2.13?) - RICHARD LANG - 1987

The above is what Psion 2 written by Richard Lang in 1987 looks like under DOSbox.

DOSBOX PSION 2 (2.13?) TEST RESULT

DOSBox Psion 2 finished with a score of ELO 2032. I had recently also tested Psion version 2.0 on Atari ST 8 MHz 4 MB RAM where Psion 2.0 scored ELO 2011.

It looks like Bryan's DOSbox test plays at around the equivalent of a 68,000 Atari ST running at 11.3 MHz. (+42% faster than a standard Atari ST).

Best regards
Nick