Power supply for Saitek Kasparov RISC 2500?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paco5560

current consumption in chess computers

Post by paco5560 »

Hi there:
Here are simple rules to take care about power supply:
a) Never surpass nominal voltage for more than 0.5 volts look for correct polarity.
b) Current is regularly demanded by the electronics to be fed on your device , current is not injected , but demanding by the electronic components. This means, power supply must be able to handle all the current demanding to it, do not worry, this sounds funny, how do you know the real value of it? You do not need to, the highest value in current, the better.
For example your device says 5.5v positive center. and 1.5amp, applying rules a and b:
You can use a power supply with no more than 6v but in current you can go 2amp or more ( depending on cost you can 10amps) in current the grater the better, but never exceed voltage value or polarity, this can ruin your device.
Hope I did not go very technical, any ways, i can help with any question.
Best regards.
F.H.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

This is indeed a matter of taste, but also evolving in time. When the first metallic grey coloured cars came out, everybody was baffled and impressed. But since now so many other metallic colours are available, it seems to have become a very standard colour instead of exclusive. But I still like it, just as I like the Cougar and the Prisma :-)

And of course wood remains the best colour for chess!

Regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Dave C

Re: current consumption in chess computers

Post by Dave C »

paco5560 wrote:Hi there:
Here are simple rules to take care about power supply:
a) Never surpass nominal voltage for more than 0.5 volts look for correct polarity.
b) Current is regularly demanded by the electronics to be fed on your device , current is not injected , but demanding by the electronic components. This means, power supply must be able to handle all the current demanding to it, do not worry, this sounds funny, how do you know the real value of it? You do not need to, the highest value in current, the better.
For example your device says 5.5v positive center. and 1.5amp, applying rules a and b:
You can use a power supply with no more than 6v but in current you can go 2amp or more ( depending on cost you can 10amps) in current the grater the better, but never exceed voltage value or polarity, this can ruin your device.
Hope I did not go very technical, any ways, i can help with any question.
Best regards.
F.H.
Thank you for this excellent and clear description of how power supplies function. I've printed out a copy of this description and have it on my chess computer desk for reference.

Enlightened....regards,
Dave