ELO rating and time per move

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Salaryman

ELO rating and time per move

Post by Salaryman »

I've used HIARCS14 both in HIARCS Chess Explorer and Arena. I'm very impressed by how human it seems at lower ELO ratings compared to other engines.

In Arena, I can limit the ELO as well as set the amount of seconds given per move. At an ELO rating such as 1600, is the strength or realism affected at all if HIARCS analyzes for 1 second vs 10 seconds before moving?
herO

Re: ELO rating and time per move

Post by herO »

Salaryman wrote:I've used HIARCS14 both in HIARCS Chess Explorer and Arena. I'm very impressed by how human it seems at lower ELO ratings compared to other engines.

In Arena, I can limit the ELO as well as set the amount of seconds given per move. At an ELO rating such as 1600, is the strength or realism affected at all if HIARCS analyzes for 1 second vs 10 seconds before moving?

Time control does affect engine strength. It simulates human player. If a human player has less time his strength will be lower than if he has more time. just imagine a human player who has 1 second per move. He will do more mistakes and blunders. If he has more time eg. 10minutes his performance will increase. Hiarcs simulates the same behavior like a human player.
Salaryman

Post by Salaryman »

Also in HIARCS Chess Explorer, there is the option to disable time controls completely. If you do so, then the computer moves pretty much instantly after you make a move. Does disabling time controls affect the strength of play of the engine?
herO

Post by herO »

Salaryman wrote:Also in HIARCS Chess Explorer, there is the option to disable time controls completely. If you do so, then the computer moves pretty much instantly after you make a move. Does disabling time controls affect the strength of play of the engine?
Of course it affects the strength of the engine even if you set maximum strength! If you have ponder option off, then engine calculates about 0,5s I suppose. If a player have to make a move during 0,5time limit (liches in Lichess server) his performance will be really weak. If you set this option don't be surprised when higher elo opponents (1800 - 2000) can play poorly sometimes, because you can think as long as you want, but they have to move instantly. You have a massive advantage.