Millenium new release of chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Looks like details of the new Millennium ChessGenius Pro will be announced on the 1st July.
Which millenium pro???
Festina Lente
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Well Fern
The first of July might bring you a nice surprise!
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Well Fern
The first of July might bring you a nice surprise!
where is the info about that, pal?

F
Festina Lente
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Inside information
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Inside information
Perhaps you could share somewhat more with us...,
a new Lang thing?
Festina Lente
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Sorry Fern I have had to sign the Official Secrects Act but yes another Lang machine.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Sorry Fern I have had to sign the Official Secrects Act but yes another Lang machine.
I will not purchase yet another Lang thing-
This is or was the chance to make comps with programs coming from others great personalities of the field like Schroeder, Nitzche, the Spracklen, even Ron nelson.
A new program made by any of them instead of the refurbishing of an old engine was the thing to do.
With that you had double incentive to get the product.

Problem is I am not the marketing advisor of Millenium regards
Fern
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

I won't have any interest in it if it's the same hardware design. I'm fine with a Lang because it would be a more up to date program. Any Spracklen, Schroeder or Nelson would be old programs that we already have enough of.

Too bad they couldn't use the design of the Saitek/Mephisto Olympiad, Barracuda or Executive. IMO It was close to perfect for a low-cost unit: 16 LEDs plus a large LCD, portable, hardy and cheap to reproduce.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:I won't have any interest in it if it's the same hardware design. I'm fine with a Lang because it would be a more up to date program. Any Spracklen, Schroeder or Nelson would be old programs that we already have enough of.

Too bad they couldn't use the design of the Saitek/Mephisto Olympiad, Barracuda or Executive. IMO It was close to perfect for a low-cost unit: 16 LEDs plus a large LCD, portable, hardy and cheap to reproduce.
I was not thinking in an old program by those gentlemen, but a new one. Even Nelson produced some stuff in the 90's. Well, old discussion about this...
Of course almost surely none of them has any interest in trying a hand again in this field, but, who knows? Schroeder is still submerged in this, although commercially retired.
A better Lang program is of no interest to me.
The current one is more than enough for my mediocre skills. Besides Lang stuff is somewhat boring....
Festina Lente
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Schroeder turned down Millennium's offer of returning to dedicated chess computers so you won't see anything new from him for them.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Schroeder turned down Millennium's offer of returning to dedicated chess computers so you won't see anything new from him for them.
A pity. Even so, some other guys could be available. I mean, anything would be preferable to get just another Lang stuff. ¿Perhaps Morsch? ¿De Konning? ¿Old but still alive Spracklen team? There are MANY chess programmers behind so many chess engines that perhaps could jump to the boat.
Ok., yes, Lang has glamour and fame....
But no, I will not expend again 300 bucks for a Lang motorized computer
Festina Lente
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

Yarc wrote:
paulwise3 wrote:Hi Yarc,

Thanx for your report! I hope you will share the moves of game 8 with us, will be interesting to see how other programs/machines judge the positions ;-)

Curious regards,
Paul
I certainly will. Next couple of days are busy for me again, but hopefully should get to complete this match soon and will publish all games.

I think it's interesting watching these machines play, especially as they all suffer from the horizon effect. This introduces surprises in the games and makes them all the more fun to watch.

After this match I may try a match at the same time control against the Magellan. This machine might pose more of a stumbling block, especially considering the Cosmos did surprisingly well against the MCG.
Playing game 9 of 10 and SD currently has the edge in this game based on both machine's analysis! The advantage is about one pawn, and I know it could change because these machines can make mistakes. It's still possible for the SD to win the match, but theoretically the MCG should win with its higher ELO. It's close as expected which means the SD is a good machine and despite the extra processing power of the MCG, the SD must have a fairly decent program.
Queegmeister

MCG vs Atlanta 2-0

Post by Queegmeister »

I don't know whats going on but MCG beat Atlanta 2 - 0 in 1 min per move

Is it possibly better than the Atlanta ? Looks like it so far by my small test.

The Atlanta play Fried Liver attack !! :shock: and it fought for a big edge then retreated and MCG swarmed Atlanta winning the game. Not good to play passive even if up 2 pwns. I will post game later. too tired now

What is rating now by our tests of these two beasts ?

MCG over Atlanta regards
Dr.Q :)
Only he who never plays, never loses
Larry

Re: MCG vs Atlanta 2-0

Post by Larry »

Queegmeister wrote:I don't know whats going on but MCG beat Atlanta 2 - 0 in 1 min per move

Is it possibly better than the Atlanta ? Looks like it so far by my small test.

The Atlanta play Fried Liver attack !! :shock: and it fought for a big edge then retreated and MCG swarmed Atlanta winning the game. Not good to play passive even if up 2 pwns. I will post game later. too tired now

What is rating now by our tests of these two beasts ?

MCG over Atlanta regards
Dr.Q :)
I also played Atlanta/MCG in a short match, but mine were 5sec/move
games. I got a very similar result, I think it was 2-0 for MCG! Yes, we
can't draw much of a conclusion from just two games, but we certainly
can't accuse MCG manufacturer of fudging on its rating estimate. I think
the claim was simply "over 200". It sure is...
L
Larry

Re: MCG vs Atlanta 2-0

Post by Larry »

Larry wrote: I think
the claim was simply "over 200". It sure is...
L
Of course I meant "over 2000". I'll play a few games
MCG/Montreux.
L