Who is who

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Sebastian Boehme

Who is who

Post by Sebastian Boehme »

Hi chessfriends,
I always find that this world nowadays is moving so fast and that one does not really get to know about who the other really is or what they do.

Therefore I felt like opening this thread.
The idea of this thread is that everyone writes a little bit about themselves (you do not have to share your most private secrets here of course, just the normal stuff)
Let me give you an example by myself:

My name is Sebastian as you can see and I am currently 25 years of age. I am a student of special texts translation and in my freetime I am very addicted to both chess and poker.
Furthermore I got a very annoying sister and nice parents.
The town where I live in is called Bernburg (Germany) and has approximately 30000 inhabitants. One would call it a rather quiet town, for German standards.

Now give it a try fellows and post something about yourselves too.

Regards,
Sebastian
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Hi Sebi,

A good idea so here goes:

I am 42 and live in London. I moved here in 1990 before then I was living in a seaside town in the North West of England called Southport. I also have one annoying sister.

As a child I was always fascinated by 2 things Radio's and record players. At age 19 I got a job on a commercial Radio Station in Israel as a DJ. I then returned to England and finally ended up working for the BBC in Radio News. This last year or so I have been mainly based in London but I do get to travel to all the interesting places like Baghdad.

As far as Chess goes my father taught me to play when I was about 6. I got my first Chess Computer in 1978, I think, and later discovered Hiarcs....
Last edited by Harvey Williamson on Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

hi Sebastian

i am 95 years old and a collector of old dedicated chess computers

i am making posts here as quickly as possible because i will probably be dead very soon
:wink:

Best Regards
Steve
Alain

Post by Alain »

Hi,

I am from France (Paris's south suburb) and I am 29 years old (what ? cheating ? ok 0x29 years old :wink: )

I am interested in all forms of computer chess but I only use chess engines for analysis : I don't run engine vs engine match nor do I play against engines, I prefer dedicated machines for that.

Best regards,

Alain
Ted Summers

Hello

Post by Ted Summers »

Hi,

I'm Ted and like Harvey I am also 42 years old. I live in Atlanta GA. I enjoy Chess and Computers. Go figure! :lol:
gerold

Re: Who is who

Post by gerold »

Sebastian Boehme wrote:Hi chessfriends,
I always find that this world nowadays is moving so fast and that one does not really get to know about who the other really is or what they do.

Therefore I felt like opening this thread.
The idea of this thread is that everyone writes a little bit about themselves (you do not have to share your most private secrets here of course, just the normal stuff)
Let me give you an example by myself:

My name is Sebastian as you can see and I am currently 25 years of age. I am a student of special texts translation and in my freetime I am very addicted to both chess and poker.
Furthermore I got a very annoying sister and nice parents.
The town where I live in is called Bernburg (Germany) and has approximately 30000 inhabitants. One would call it a rather quiet town, for German standards.

Now give it a try fellows and post something about yourselves too.

Regards,
Sebastian
Good idea Sebastian.
Professinal Engineer. 27 yrs. old. Love chess and all forms of chess.
Many hobbies farming,sawmilling,hunting,fishing,swimming,hiking,biking,
artist heavy oils,to name a few.
Living on my 1 square mile farm and woodland in the heart of the
Ozarks in Missouri.

Good luck,
Gerold.
Daniel Mehrmann

Re: Who is who

Post by Daniel Mehrmann »

My Name is well known and my engine as well... :lol:
Oh well, i'm 32 years old and love womens :) My hobbys are computerchess and reading books.

ps: You can watch me in cinema's currently. :wink:

Thanks to the hiarcs team for a nice forum !

Best,
Daniel
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:Hi,

I am from France (Paris's south suburb) and I am 29 years old (what ? cheating ? ok 0x29 years old :wink: )

I am interested in all forms of computer chess but I only use chess engines for analysis : I don't run engine vs engine match nor do I play against engines, I prefer dedicated machines for that.

Best regards,

Alain
hi Alain
nice to see you
if you are 29 then i am a great expert on all PC Chess Engines
:)
More Like 49 Regards
Steve
Andreas Guettinger

Post by Andreas Guettinger »

Hi,

I'm living in the capitol of Switzerland. I'm a doctor in microbiology (since Mai of this years) and my main hobby is C/C++ programming.
I'm a Mac person and my main computer is a Quad PowerPC G5, that I use for programming and for bioinformatics. I therefore will represent a part of the the Mac customer base of Hiarcs. :)

Of course, I'm a long time Hiarcs user (starting form Hiarcs4 for the Mac, if I remeber correctly).

PS: I would also be interested to know whether discussions about chess programming (general, not Hiarcs specific) are allowed in this subforum?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Andreas Guettinger wrote:Hi,

I'm living in the capitol of Switzerland. I'm a doctor in mycrobiology (since Mai of this years) and my main hobby is C/C++ programming.
I'm a Mac person and my main computer is a Quad PowerPC G5, that I use for programming and for bioinformatics. I therefore will represent a part of the the Mac customer base of Hiarcs. :)

Of course, I'm a long time Hiarcs user (starting form Hiarcs4 for the Mac, I think).

PS: I would also be interested to know whether discussions about chess programming (general, not Hiarcs specific) are allowed in this subforum?
Hi Andreas,

Welcome to the forum. It will be good to have some mac users here.

Yes discussions about Chess programming are definately welcome.

Best Wishes,

Harvey
Alain

Post by Alain »

Steve B wrote:
Alain wrote:Hi,

Best regards,

Alain
hi Alain
nice to see you
if you are 29 then i am a great expert on all PC Chess Engines
:)
More Like 49 Regards
Steve
Sorry, Steve, this was a (bad I admit) geek joke... 0x means hexadecimal so 0x29 is 2x16+9=41....

Alain 1 - Super Constellation 0 on the pool side regards,
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Alain wrote:
Alain 1 - Super Constellation 0 on the pool side regards,
please post the game here HEAVILY annotated and complete with Fen Diagrams every other move Regards
Steve
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

Steve B wrote:hi Sebastian

i am making posts here as quickly as possible because i will probably be dead very soon

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Sebastion, Hi Steve!

I joined per request of Steve B who said he'd put me in his will if I promptly signed up and lavished him with praise! :wink:

Great Place, I'm Humbled by Your Invitation Steve, and Congratulations to You Steve for acquiring the position of Moderator along with being the....

Founding Father of Dedicated Chess Computers Regards,
Terry
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Steve B wrote:hi Sebastian

Best Regards
Steve
Hi Sebastion, Hi Steve!

I joined per request of Steve B who said he'd put me in his will if I promptly signed up and lavished him with praise! :wink:

Great Place, I'm Humbled by Your Invitation Steve, and Congratulations to You Steve for acquiring the position of Moderator along with being the....

Founding Father of Dedicated Chess Computers Regards,
Terry
welcome Terry
and thanks for those kind words

now where do i make the Paypal Payment Regards?
Steve
AMD64inside

Post by AMD64inside »

Hi All

My name is Darrell Golder and I am 40 :(

I have had an intrest in computer chess for many years after my mother bought me my first chess computer, a Fidelty Mini Sensory.

I then became a Mephisto fan and often used to visit Countrywide Computers to buy or upgrade or window shop!

HIARCS 3 was my first PC program purchase after I had the pleasure to play against it in a weekend chess congress in 1994. Operated by Mark Uniacke the computer on a P90 if I remeber correctly, sac'd its Queen and went on to win an exciting game. I became a fan of HIARCS from that day.

Regards

Darrell