R.I.P. IM Danny Kopec

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

R.I.P. IM Danny Kopec

Post by Cyberchess »

Greetings fellow computer chess enthusiasts:

It is with great sadness in my heart that I must report that yet another notable chess player and computer chess pioneer has passed away on June 12, 2016.

Only this past winter I had seen IM Danny Kopec at a New York City chess club, and analyzed some of the ongoing tournament games with him on the sidelines. We were aware that he was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, though he appeared to be in good physical shape, and still sharp as a knife at his advanced age.

I first became acquainted with Danny in 1983 at a local chess club. He had apparently migrated to Scotland, worked as a chess consultant and computer scientist for Fidelity Electronics, and was on sabbatical visiting his family. He gave us a quick lecture on the merits of his “Kopec System,” and analyzed a professional game played by top players of the day.

He Will Be Greatly Missed Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: R.I.P. IM Danny Kopec

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:Greetings fellow computer chess enthusiasts:

It is with great sadness in my heart that I must report that yet another notable chess player and computer chess pioneer has passed away on June 12, 2016.

Only this past winter I had seen IM Danny Kopec at a New York City chess club, and analyzed some of the ongoing tournament games with him on the sidelines. We were aware that he was undergoing chemotherapy for cancer, though he appeared to be in good physical shape, and still sharp as a knife at his advanced age.

I first became acquainted with Danny in 1983 at a local chess club. He had apparently migrated to Scotland, worked as a chess consultant and computer scientist for Fidelity Electronics, and was on sabbatical visiting his family. He gave us a quick lecture on the merits of his “Kopec System,” and analyzed a professional game played by top players of the day.

He Will Be Greatly Missed Regards,
John

amen
every day bring us a new sad notice about the demise of talented and nice people.
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Re: R.I.P. IM Danny Kopec

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote: amen
every day bring us a new sad notice about the demise of talented and nice people.
Sad but true, Fern.

Dr. Kopec will always be remembered for his kind, patient virtues, his pioneering research in the field of A.I. gaming, and his tremendously insightful chess analysis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QoYataloI3M

Flags Flown @ Half-Staff Regards,
John
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Attention Savvy New Yorkers

The Marshall Chess Club (23 West 10th Street NYC) will be hosting a tribute to Dr. Kopec on 6/28 from 7:00pm to 9:00pm. I plan to attend, and a special guest star appearance of "The Chess Gorilla" has been scheduled.
Even if you’ve never met the man, you are welcome to attend and pay homage to a legendary chess lecturer and computer chess pioneer.

:arrow: Be There or Be Square Regards,
John