Kittinger Strongest

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Kittinger Strongest

Post by Fernando »

Almost with absolute certainty I would say that the strongest engine Kittinger ever delivered and in fact the last of them is NOT the one in Saphire or any other contrivance, but the one used in the software program "Majestic Chess".
You can bet that throw incredible combs far above any thing saphire could do.
I hope Blincoe does not read this post due to the fact I am talking of de devil, SOFTWARE.
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Greetings Fern:

Back around late '97, I recall how I was highly impressed by Sierra's Power Chess 98. Power Chess 98 was the sequel to 1995's Power Chess, featured interactive A.I. and allowed you to play against a multitude of A.I opponents with differing styles or to play on the internet with other users.

In any case, both versions were powered by David Kittinger’s WChess engine – which was the first program to win the Harvard Cup Intel Championship:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/3812 ... tml?pg=all

:twisted: The Devil’s in the Details Regards,
John
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Kittinger Strongest

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:.
I hope Blincoe does not read this post due to the fact I am talking of de devil, SOFTWARE.

i am growing more compassionate in my golden years
for too many years have i excluded diverse groups including Software,modified computers.. Etc Etc
In todays progressive world we must all learn to accept those different then ourselves

Bernie Sanders Sends His Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I see you are falling straight in the abysm of politically correct postures.
I demand my right to be raided by a squad of the elders police.

Trump send his regards
Festina Lente
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:Greetings Fern:

Back around late '97, I recall how I was highly impressed by Sierra's Power Chess 98. Power Chess 98 was the sequel to 1995's Power Chess, featured interactive A.I. and allowed you to play against a multitude of A.I opponents with differing styles or to play on the internet with other users.

In any case, both versions were powered by David Kittinger’s WChess engine – which was the first program to win the Harvard Cup Intel Championship:

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/3812 ... tml?pg=all

:twisted: The Devil’s in the Details Regards,
John

I had that powerchess 98, which was full of bugs. It was a charming program nevertheless.

Majestic is mucho better......No bugs, stronger engine, impecable gui.
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote: I had that powerchess 98, which was full of bugs. It was a charming program nevertheless.

Majestic is mucho better......No bugs, stronger engine, impecable gui.
Ah yes, I do recall those awful bugs and the game analysis feature not working correctly under Windows 98 Second Edition. Sierra Software was, however, good enough to provide a patch for SE users, and when applied immediately after installing the program, everything ran flawlessly on my system. The adaptive strength Power Chess King was by far my favorite opponent, and I enjoyed the in-depth analysis provided afterwards by the lovely Power Chess Queen. Unfortunately, upon upgrading to Windows XP, other games and software such as Hasbro Interactive Clue could be installed and successfully run under backward compatibility mode, but not so for Power Chess 98. Also, by this time Sierra had ceased proving support for the product, and had long since closed down the web portal for playing other users (I never really used that feature anyhow).

The obsolete CRT monitors we used back then put a terrible strain on the eyes, so I usually opted for a slow game with my Novag Diamond/Star Diamond back then. That said, I now regret not picking up a copy of Majestic Chess while I was still running 32 bit Windows.

Dave on Steroids Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

I have windows 10 and majestic run ok after the compatibility has been fixed by W10 b+itself.
I think I have seen Majestic still on sale somewhere OR even given as an abandonware, places which i visit often in search of old treasures, which I have got
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:I have windows 10 and majestic run ok after the compatibility has been fixed by W10 b+itself.
I think I have seen Majestic still on sale somewhere OR even given as an abandonware, places which i visit often in search of old treasures, which I have got
That’s fantastic you were able to run Majestic Chess under Windows 10. I’m still running Windows 7 on my primary PC, and have a secondary XP unit for backup and running some of my older software.

I have about 10 large floppy cases with software from the ‘80s, ‘90s and Y2K era that I never got around to transferring to CD or DVD-R. When I build my new PC, I will purchase USB external 3&1/2” and 5&1/4” floppy drives, transfer everything to the new hard drive, and backup all my old software on DVD-R. It will be fun to run some of my old programs and checkout all my data and text files from back in the day.

:cool: Rosetta Stone Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Well, in order to be capable of running everything, I even have a very old Armada running W95!
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Fernando wrote:Well, in order to be capable of running everything, I even have a very old Armada running W95!
A candidate for mood changes.

:D Hillary Clinton Sends Her Regards,
John