MCG vs Magellan

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Yarc

MCG vs Magellan

Post by Yarc »

Just completed a ten game match at 40 moves in 2 hours between the MCG and Magellan and the result was a draw. I knew the result was going to be close but had suspected the Magellan would win. Ten games is just not enough to determine the stronger program.

I noticed in one game the Magellan's play was very rash. It went all out for a win but did not have enough pieces to back it up. A poorly executed plan that resulted in a loss. Against me it probably would have worked but the MCG was too clever for it.

In the three matches I have done, the decision has always been on the last game despite the hardware. The most surprising result to me out of these matches was with the Cosmos. Despite its much lesser hardware, the result was only one point difference. I naively thought there would have been a larger gap.

Regards.