HELP !! PORTOROSE TM MACHINE FAILS

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Queegmeister

HELP !! PORTOROSE TM MACHINE FAILS

Post by Queegmeister »

:shock:

I am very upset that I turned the TM on today to find that the 32 lights light up as if no pieces are on them.

I can't play it at all

What could be wrong ? The menu works and the computer marks its move but the board does not sense ANYTHING AT ALL

I seriously need a SCHEMATIC . someone must have one.

taking the gaspipe regards
Dr.Q :cry:
Only he who never plays, never loses
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi, I have a Lyon TM board and had a similar problem recently when I upgraded the Lyon EPROM with the London upgrade. Part of the replacement meant disconnecting the ribbon cable to the playing board from the main board. I obviously didn't replace it properly as it all worked when I disconnected and connected it again. You may want to try this?

Al.
Queegmeister

I never removed ribbon

Post by Queegmeister »

Thank you for your assistance

i never removed the ribbon when i changed the EPROM and the unit functioned fine without this step, I had no clue to do that when I ordered the London from Lang.

It was suggested that I clean the contacts with alcohol.

blue ribbon regards
Dr.Q :(
Scally

Post by Scally »

Fair enough. I removed the board from the main board because of lack of space on the table, and the ribbon cable was in the way, so I unclipped it. I had similar problems to you when I reconnected it, so unclipped it again and clipped it in properly. Your fault sounds as though it's with the board, it can't harm to try that ...

Al.
Queegmeister

More information

Post by Queegmeister »

It will play itself and all squares light up and the game plays on to the end. The program is working properly.

I even switched the EPROM to the original and no difference, I had previously lost the EPROM and found it in the back of the drawer

It sends info out and the board receives it

but What we have here is...

failure to communicate back regards
Dr.Q
Queegmeister

need tech sheets ICs , can you add to this ?

Post by Queegmeister »

Hello fellows

this advice came from my friend but where do i get diagrams of the ICs

look at all components: perhaps some of them are broken, burned, etc and you can see it with a superficial view.
the circuit board must be perfect and clean

unplug all the connections. Many times, the cables are ok, but the connections are dirty. Mark the orientation of every bus cable (with a marker, writing the same line on the connector and the cable)

check the continuity of every cable: the bus cables are (many times) broken because they are delicate. If the tester notify a fail, there is a special glue with electrical contact. Cut the cable and glue both parts, checking the continuity.

check every capacitor, specially the electrolitic. The ceramic capacitor usually functions for a lot of years, but not a electrolitic usually fails at 20 or 25 years

If the problem persist, the diodes & transistors must be checked
If there is still a problem, all integrated circuits must be checked. This is a very very difficult work, because you must do it with the technical sheet of every IC. it's hard work; every chip has his own problems

long road regards
Dr.Q :( :shock:
Queegmeister

link to key problem

Post by Queegmeister »

https://postimg.org/image/h9g09ihpz/

if you see the lights do not correspond to pieces

this is what i see/ the computer plays itself so i suspect its not ram or cpu

thx 4 looking
Dr.Q
Queegmeister

new PERTINENT information

Post by Queegmeister »

I have received word from my friend,

Phoenix Chess Systems has advised the following

The problem is in reading the reeds. This curcuitry is driven by two chips.

If someone knows which chips these are the repair can be possible !!

Shalom
DR.Q
Queegmeister

keeping you updated

Post by Queegmeister »

expert advice received, the chips ro replace are 74HC244N and if that does not fix then 74HC138N otherwise there is a fault in the led reed board or cable but the expert is 95 % certain of the chip 75HC244 being the fault

Saga goes on regards
Dr.Q
Queegmeister

PORTOROSE TM WORKING AFTER CHIP REPLACED !!

Post by Queegmeister »

HELLO Fellows

The TM PORTOROSE is REPAIRED and working smoothly. The board is on its way back to me, my friend spent many hours contacting people to finally find a person to fix this machine. I want him to join our group.

the advice by an expert to replace chip , worked instantly after replacing the chip from digikey. The specific chip is mentioned before .

I want to thank everyone who made an effort to help and a HUGE thank you to the man who knows how to fix these machines. I would mention his name but I don't want to flood him with repair requests.

HAPPY DAYS ARE HERE AGAIN REGARDS
DR.Q :D
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: PORTOROSE TM WORKING AFTER CHIP REPLACED !!

Post by Steve B »

Queegmeister wrote:HELLO Fellows

The TM PORTOROSE is REPAIRED and working smoothly. The board is on its way back to me, my friend spent many hours contacting people to finally find a person to fix this machine. I want him to join our group.
Congrats on the repair Dr .Q
it should be noted that the mystery person who fixed your computer is already a long time member here

Whats My Line Regards
Steve