Conchess A0 mod module

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
BillT

Conchess A0 mod module

Post by BillT »

Hi All
Ive been updating the database of my collection recently....photos /info etc and during this I decided to look at my Conchess stuff more closely.
I have an A0 modified module - and just for fun and interest thought I would see if I can determine exactly what the "small permanent modification" is that had to be done to it in order for it to work with the Add-on module P.
So comparing an unmod and the mod modules very closely......well I'm buggered if I can see any change.....(.made difficult because of the variation of the PCB layout, all of my 3 unmod std modules are different.....) 1 of them even has removable chips.

So (just to quench my thirst for knowledge and who knows ....if my A0 goes belly up in the future ....maybe I could modify one of my spare std modules myself.......)
does anybody know what the small modification was????

A mod acceptable to Steve regards
Bill
Mike Watters

Re: Conchess A0 mod module

Post by Mike Watters »

BillT wrote:Hi All
Ive been updating the database of my collection recently....photos /info etc and during this I decided to look at my Conchess stuff more closely.
I have an A0 modified module - and just for fun and interest thought I would see if I can determine exactly what the "small permanent modification" is that had to be done to it in order for it to work with the Add-on module P.
So comparing an unmod and the mod modules very closely......well I'm buggered if I can see any change.....(.made difficult because of the variation of the PCB layout, all of my 3 unmod std modules are different.....) 1 of them even has removable chips.

So (just to quench my thirst for knowledge and who knows ....if my A0 goes belly up in the future ....maybe I could modify one of my spare std modules myself.......)
does anybody know what the small modification was????

A mod acceptable to Steve regards
Bill
Hi Bill

I have had this conversation with a French collector and we came to the conclusion that the only difference is one broken track between the RAM and ROMs. Well that was just a conclusion based on visual examination but it seems consistent with the Technical Guides which refer to a very simple but permanent change.
The first photo is of an original cartridge and the second of a modified one. See the red arrow pointing to the broken track. Hopefully yours is the same????? Fingers crossed!

All the best
Mike
BillT

Post by BillT »

Hi Mike

Thank you so much for your responce,and yes you're absolutely correct about the mod.
Ive now looked again more closely and sure enough there is the "cut" between the Roms and Ram on my modified A0.(actually its the one I bought from you ! some years ago). I cant believe I didnt spot it without referring to your photo.

So if the A1 was to fail then I could return the A0 to std by simply resoldering the cut section.......marvellous. Naturally I hope never to have to do this ,but its nice to know what to do should I ever need to do it..

Many thanks
Bill