a very important question

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

a very important question

Post by Fernando »

WHY should I get a Mac after decades using PC?
Gime a good reason.....
If there is one.

Fern
Festina Lente
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

It really depends on your needs and preferences. The short answer is that if Windows-based PCs have worked for you, there's no reason to change.

Apple units are well made and handle video editing particularly well, but they are relatively expensive and you can't easily open them up and upgrade them yourself the way you can with PCs.

Windows-based PCs can be had relatively cheaply and can usually be upgraded easily. They can be used for almost any purpose, but for more complex purposes, one has to become pretty familiar with the hardware/software choices and requirements. That said, generally there is a lot more software/programs available than for Apple desktops/laptops.

Fwiw: I have used Windows-based PCs since they first came out and have never felt the need for Apple computers. However, when it comes to tablets, I am totally an Apple iPad guy. :)
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:It really depends on your needs and preferences. The short answer is that if Windows-based PCs have worked for you, there's no reason to change.

Apple units are well made and handle video editing particularly well, but they are relatively expensive and you can't easily open them up and upgrade them yourself the way you can with PCs.

Windows-based PCs can be had relatively cheaply and can usually be upgraded easily. They can be used for almost any purpose, but for more complex purposes, one has to become pretty familiar with the hardware/software choices and requirements. That said, generally there is a lot more software/programs available than for Apple desktops/laptops.

Fwiw: I have used Windows-based PCs since they first came out and have never felt the need for Apple computers. However, when it comes to tablets, I am totally an Apple iPad guy. :)
Well, sir Davis, I think exactly the same, but from time to time I need some reinforcement NOT to fall in the temptation to test a new thing...
Death to Mac regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Larry

Re: a very important question

Post by Larry »

Fernando wrote:WHY should I get a Mac after decades using PC?
Gime a good reason.....
If there is one.

Fern
I was considering one, the one with the big screen. They are quite
fast at powering up and have sharp screen graphics. No tower and
ugly cords the workings are built into the back of the monitor.Macs
generally don't get viruses. Now and then there are sales on them,
making them tempting.
As someone said, there are more software options for PCs.
My last PC tower broke down, bad hard drive, a few months back.
My daughter gave me her old PC tower, and it will do for some
years.
L
Scally

Post by Scally »

I have an iPhone, iPad mini & and an iPad Air2, but my main PC has always been Windows, I have yet to be convinced otherwise....

Al.
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

I am all Apple currently an iMac, iPad mini and iPhone once used to the OP system in my opinion Mac out performs PC running windows in every way. Also remember if you use the built in Bootcamp Mac will boot from both Mac and windows but a fresh reboot is always needed. Any other operating system can also be run inside Mac using a program called VMware Fusion a better way to run two system then Bootcamp. So if your currently running windows 10 using Fusion you can install that and change from Mac to windows seamlessly a week or so ago a friend ask me to do something for him that needed windows so as the last windows I remembered was XP I put XP pro on my iMac. My friend was impressed when I was running Mac then just clicked on Fusion and windows XP pro came up so in my opinion Apple Mac as the best of both worlds all in one the only downside is the cost but you pay for what you get.

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830