New chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Daniel_R

New chess computer

Post by Daniel_R »

Hi all,

This week I started my graduation for Industrial Design.
I got the opportunity to link this project to my computer chess hobby.
The assignment consists of developing a new chess computer.
I'm working on this project on behalf of DGT B.V.

I have a couple of questions for this project (see link below).
https://goo.gl/forms/jxvTTNS1hlLBSTEC2
Five participants will be randomly rewarderd with a DGT starter set.

If you have any tips or comments you can drop it here or at the end of the survey.

Regards,
Daniël
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Hi Daniel

Very interesting, I have sent you a PM.

Regards
Bryan
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

In essence I think you need to take a look at Gavon running on the Raspberry Pi with the official touchscreen........ it sets the benchmark for me.
Santito

Post by Santito »

Hi friend. I would consider a high quality wood chess computer (50 x50 cm) or (40 x 40cm) with a robotic arm. Or maybe, to develop an affordable robotic chess arm for current DGT o Rev II boards.

Regards,

Santiago
lexman

Post by lexman »

Personally I think that the DGT Pi and Revelation already cater well to the mid top end of the market for luxury wooden devices. Probably competing at the bottom end would be the way to go. Perhaps looking at a plastic DGT board, looking something like the Excalibur Grandmaster comp, with a separate processing/clock unit that can perhaps offer two or three engines for under 300 euro would go into a segment that at the moment has only one real competitor.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

i guess this thread has morphed into a wish list for a new dedicated computer
i totally agree with Santito here
i have been collecting for a long time and on my bucket list is a robotic arm computer that dosent break down after a few hours of use
i own the only 2 Robotic arms ever sold..the Novag Robot Adversary and the Novag 2Robot ..the Adversary will give you 2-3 Hrs of playing time and then go bad...I owned 3 brand new ones..all 3 went bad in less then 3 Hrs. of playing time

the 2Robot is somewhat more reliable but it too can go defective quite easily..of the two i own one is defective and the other is working(but needed a small fix)..playing strength is low(mid 1500-1600)
while we are dreaming ...
make an auto sensory robotic armed computer with a beautiful wooden base and board and pieces
any programmer (except Lang...too many Lang Engines out there already)
elo around 2200 and keep the price under $2500
do this and the .....

World Will Beat A Path To Your Door Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:i guess this thread has morphed into a wish list for a new dedicated computer
i totally agree with Santito here
i have been collecting for a long time and on my bucket list is a robotic arm computer that dosent break down after a few hours of use
i own the only 2 Robotic arms ever sold..the Novag Robot Adversary and the Novag 2Robot ..the Adversary will give you 2-3 Hrs of playing time and then go bad...I owned 3 brand new ones..all 3 went bad in less then 3 Hrs. of playing time

the 2Robot is somewhat more reliable but it too can go defective quite easily..of the two i own one is defective and the other is working(but needed a small fix)..playing strength is low(mid 1500-1600)
while we are dreaming ...
make an auto sensory robotic armed computer with a beautiful wooden base and board and pieces
any programmer (except Lang...too many Lang Engines out there already)
elo around 2200 and keep the price under $2500
do this and the .....

World Will Beat A Path To Your Door Regards
Steve

This is the voice of the rich, de wealthy, the opulent of this world. For me I could perhaps afford a computer made of paper and costing around 5 bucks.
And then the unwashed masses will run to your door to say thanks...

Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:

This is the voice of the rich, de wealthy, the opulent of this world. For me I could perhaps afford a computer made of paper and costing around 5 bucks.

Fern
If they cannot afford to pay $2500 for a chess computer

Then Let them Eat Cake Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Fern
If they cannot afford to pay $2500 for a chess computer

Then Let them Eat Cake Regards
Steve
Ok, queen Antoinette, we are already polishing the razor of the guillotine for you...
Festina Lente
Santito

Post by Santito »

Hi friends, I meant some chess computer like this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ero_thanks

You can build something similar using wood (40x40 mm each square), using a similar concept as the link or build an arm to play in DGT boards or Rev II. In fact my dream chess computer would be a REV II with an arm.

Hope this help,

Santiago
ChessHouse

Post by ChessHouse »

Santito wrote:Hi friends, I meant some chess computer like this

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/18 ... ero_thanks

You can build something similar using wood (40x40 mm each square), using a similar concept as the link or build an arm to play in DGT boards or Rev II. In fact my dream chess computer would be a REV II with an arm.

Hope this help,

Santiago
Square Off -- Keep an eye on this one, whether it succeeds or fails it is likely worth investing in. This unit should resonate with a lot of people looking for computer chess that can compete with DGT at half the price.

"Challenge any online opponent across the globe or play against the artificial intelligence on this automated chess board. "

Currently it runs Stockfish 7 and Cuckoo Chess engines.

Or You can build your own version if you have the motivation:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0mqDF ... y6xFeCdVmQ

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... ying-Robo/

Unmotivated,
Paul
Daniel_R

Finished the survey

Post by Daniel_R »

Thnx for all the replies!
If I have any more questions/comments I will drop them here on the forum.
Keep you updated!

Daniël
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

7Chessfan7 wrote:Dedicated chess computers that have robotic arms are just a gimmick pure and simple. What the chess computer world really needs is a grandmaster strength, touch sensory wood board with a chess piece recognition system in which the board is the size of the Novag UECB with the Stockfish 7 program programmed into it, with the capability to upload other free chess engines from the internet and is compatible with Apple Macintosh computers. PC owners already have the Revelation2 chess computer which is compatible with PCs.
I still have the feeling that just to have a piece of furniture is NOT enough for qualifying a contrivance as that entiity we call a chess computer. The model you propose is nothing more than a PC simulated as furniture.
The thing we like is an HISTORIC thing, something that belong to a certain lapse of time with a limited strength and with all the weaknesses and peculiarities of those programs of 80's and perhaps too 90's.

The interest on pieces of museum is always historic. If you like 18 century muskets you will not abide for a Ak-47 piece of weaponry even if you can touch it as the musket.

Fern
Festina Lente
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi,
Fernando wrote:
7Chessfan7 wrote:Dedicated chess computers that have robotic arms are just a gimmick pure and simple. What the chess computer world really needs is a grandmaster strength, touch sensory wood board with a chess piece recognition system in which the board is the size of the Novag UECB with the Stockfish 7 program programmed into it, with the capability to upload other free chess engines from the internet and is compatible with Apple Macintosh computers. PC owners already have the Revelation2 chess computer which is compatible with PCs.
I still have the feeling that just to have a piece of furniture is NOT enough for qualifying a contrivance as that entiity we call a chess computer. The model you propose is nothing more than a PC simulated as furniture.
The thing we like is an HISTORIC thing, something that belong to a certain lapse of time with a limited strength and with all the weaknesses and peculiarities of those programs of 80's and perhaps too 90's.

The interest on pieces of museum is always historic. If you like 18 century muskets you will not abide for a Ak-47 piece of weaponry even if you can touch it as the musket.

Fern
I need all of this! :P

The good old dedicated ones - sure - I like them, I collect and play them!

But what I like too are the new upcoming stars with up to date technology, wood around and reed switches or better piece recognition - if the up to date technology looks like a nice furniture, the better it is! - Give it to me!! :wink:

The only thing I don't like is playing chess on the PC screen without the nice feeling of wooden chessmen....

....and, by the way, 7Chessfan7, if you can forget about piece recognition and Apple and want to use your hands not only for putting bills on the table, Mysticum is a nice and cheap alternative. Build your own nice toy is even better...

Enthusiastic regards, Michael
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

blaubaer wrote:Hi,
Fernando wrote:

Fern
I need all of this! :P

The good old dedicated ones - sure - I like them, I collect and play them!

But what I like too are the new upcoming stars with up to date technology, wood around and reed switches or better piece recognition - if the up to date technology looks like a nice furniture, the better it is! - Give it to me!! :wink:

The only thing I don't like is playing chess on the PC screen without the nice feeling of wooden chessmen....

....and, by the way, 7Chessfan7, if you can forget about piece recognition and Apple and want to use your hands not only for putting bills on the table, Mysticum is a nice and cheap alternative. Build your own nice toy is even better...

Enthusiastic regards, Michael
Who can discuss such a feeling? It is for certain a matter of tastes, BUT anyway we must find another concept and word for current, modern chess furniture. What about Neo-chess computers?
Festina Lente