Weak Chess Computers with Good Software

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
afos99

Weak Chess Computers with Good Software

Post by afos99 »

Hi

With all the talk of playing a CC7 in order to win a game. I thought I'd ask the question.

Are there machines that are weaker BUT will give an interesting and varied game?

Dave[/b]
scandien

Post by scandien »

What is (in your view ) a weak program ?

Here is my own feeling :

Mephisto II level : app 1400. very Human like playing style, main weakness is tactics.

Mephisto Mirage : level : app 1500-1550 , same program as in Mephisto II but with a better processor.

Mephisto MMI : the Mephisto III program with a better processor,level app 1500. This program is very interesting but i think it need a better processor , or longer time control , to be really stronger.

Scysis express 16K : the hand held version of the Scysis Turbo 16K, level app 1500, this program is quite interesting and is always able to find a ressource in difficult position. The program have (in my view) a good chess knowledge and a human like playing style . his main weakness is tactical skill and king safety.

Scysis Turbo 16K : the same program as Express 16K but with a better processor. The level is between 1650-1700. It cannot be considered really as weak ...

Best Regards

Nicolas
afos99

Post by afos99 »

Thanks for the reply

Perhaps weak is the wrong term. Mid range and beatable. Obviously I know and have many. I wanted members views on which has a really good program. Interesting, varied, good opening book etc.

Dave
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

afos99 wrote:Thanks for the reply

Perhaps weak is the wrong term. Mid range and beatable. Obviously I know and have many. I wanted members views on which has a really good program. Interesting, varied, good opening book etc.

Dave
You already answered the question: interest, varied, etc and of course minimal tactical acumen NOT to be crushed with a simple comb.

CC7 does not qualify in any of those respects.
Festina Lente
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

A machine which plays interesting but not very strong is the CXG Enterprise S and it's clones, like for instance the CXG Sphinx Comet, the SciSys Concord II and the Mephisto Merlin 4K. It plays a nice active game, and you can choose out of four playing styles. Also a number of Lexibook machines have the same program. Strength around 1300 elo. It contains the 4kb program of Kaare Danielsen, of which is said that it may be the best 4kb program ever. I once saw it even beat my Sphinx Concerto, but apparently that was a once in a lifetime achievement ;-), due to a very passive opening of the Concerto.

It seems to know about 20 opening variants, obviously it cannot have much more given the small ROM size

Edit: And it has a permanent brain, which not many machines have in this category.
Edit2: It has a buit-in randomizer, which makes it choose randomly between more or less equally evaluated moves in a given position.
Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...