New Stats on Dedicated chess computer market

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
scandien

New Stats on Dedicated chess computer market

Post by scandien »

Hello

i have note the mean price and the number of sells on Internet ( severals sources but the mostly on EbAY) for a quite great number of dedicated Chess Computer Machine.
i didn't consider some machines (lexibook, most Excalibur, Tiger, Millennium or Saitek lowest which are of no interest for me, and there are too numerous...) but it can give a good idea of the 2016 market.

Obviously some machine are not indicated, it may be cause by 3 factors:
The machine wasn't available for sale, i miss the sell , or finnally i didn't consider this machine.

I began this "work" on end of February 2016, and i still continue to update this sheet.

here is the sheet so far :
http://lechiquier-orseen.pagesperso-ora ... chines.htm

For each manufacturer , you can find :
name of the machine, Number of sell during the period ( so far from end Feb-2016 till today) , and the average price of the machine.

Best Regards

Nicolas
Scally

Post by Scally »

Nicolas,

Nicely done, am I misreading it as the prices look low, are they in Euros or what?

A Chess Challenger 1 for 162? I've seen one on eBay for over $2000?

Al.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks for Posting that Nicholas

Jose Elpeon used to maintain a nice web site also tracking Ebay sales of dedicated computers but he no longer updates it

http://www.elpeon.com/index.php?mod=fidelity

The Price Is Right Regards
Steve
scandien

Post by scandien »

Hello

yes the price are all in Euros ( i am French).

I have seen computer with very high prices , but they most of the time the machine were not sold.
I consider only finalized sell. May be i have miss some of then , but i don't think i miss a lot ;)

BR

Nicolas
Alain

Post by Alain »

Scally wrote:Nicolas,

Nicely done, am I misreading it as the prices look low, are they in Euros or what?

Al.
in fact, tracking the sales is a hard work and it's easy to miss some. Nicolas table lists one sale for the CC1 since February, at 162€ and it definitely took place, it was a non tested machine... but it's not the lowest price for a CC! that I saw in this period.
Here are the successful sales I am aware of:
02/12 = 235€
02/25 = 71€ =$78!!!
02/27 = 161€ / $177
04/05 = 224€
09/09 = 2181€ / $2400
10/07 = 324€

And I know that I miss many sales as well...

Best regards,
Alain
Scally

Post by Scally »

Alain,

That's nice to know thanks. I'm always looking for a CC1.

By the way, I'll have to get my Mephisto Lyon 68030 TM box out the loft and get a copy of the manual over to you at some time.

Cheers,

Al.
scandien

Post by scandien »

Alain wrote:
Scally wrote:Nicolas,

Al.
in fact, tracking the sales is a hard work and it's easy to miss some. Nicolas table lists one sale for the CC1 since February, at 162€ and it definitely took place, it was a non tested machine... but it's not the lowest price for a CC! that I saw in this period.
Here are the successful sales I am aware of:
02/12 = 235€
02/25 = 71€ =$78!!!
02/27 = 161€ / $177
04/05 = 224€
09/09 = 2181€ / $2400
10/07 = 324€

And I know that I miss many sales as well...

Best regards,
Alain
The two first sells was perform before end of February 2016, so i didn't saw them ( i began really on the end of February) .. But i will had them to my listing.

I think the third one has not been sold has it is not indicated has sold .Alain how can you say it was sold for 2400 $ ?

br

Regards
Alain

Post by Alain »

scandien wrote:think the third one has not been sold has it is not indicated has sold .Alain how can you say it was sold for 2400 $ ?

When it's not sold, it not written "Vendu". Sometimes, ebay.de is not clear but ebay.fr and ebay.com are usually explicit.

And the one where I did not paste the URL correctly is also clearly sold:
324€ on 10/07

Alain
Alain

Post by Alain »

I can also give some information about the auction which is not available anymore, i.e. the 04/05 for which the price I indicated was 224€:

That being said, as a direct offer was accepted here, the price might have been lower than indicated here.

Proving all my data regards,
Alain
scandien

Post by scandien »

Thank you Alain , this is interesting .. So i think i miss a lot of sell :)

As you said it is really difficult to follow

BR

Nicolas
Alain

Post by Alain »

scandien wrote:Thank you Alain , this is interesting .. So i think i miss a lot of sell :)

As you said it is really difficult to follow

BR

Nicolas
yes, even without counting the "Buy it now" that can appear and be done between two visits, I have never seen a piece of program written as poorly as ebay researches. I have stopped counting the occasions where it returns me totally random results and fails to find obvious ones.
Correction: Ebay's automatic translation feature is even worse ;-)

Amicalement,
Alain