...and now, how did you get the first?

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dave C

First Dedicated Chess computer -MGS

Post by Dave C »

Not sure about the year, probably early 1980's, I was browsing through an electronics store. I was shocked to see a little brown box that the advertisement said could play chess. What? It was an MGS with the Boris 2.5 module. I bought it on the spot and could not wait to get it home to try it out. It was great fun. I could finally play whenever I had a few minutes of spare time. After a while I figured out it would give up a positional advantage for a minor material gain, but it was still a blast to play. A year or two later I found a Capablanca endgame module on close-out for $30. Now, the keyboard is not responding correctly... argh.

Retro..regards,
Dave
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

Steve B wrote: lol
Great Story John
Better To Fade Away Then Resign Regards
Steve
Thanks Steve!

I've often wondered how that game would have turned out had it not been for the CPU failure, but elected not to spend money on repairing the unit. I wasn't technically savvy back in '80, and had no idea that there was a risk of this happening with prolonged usage. The choice of using NEC processors in these units marked the start of a corner cutting trend for Fidelity Electronics. In their defense, however, I must cede that they offered the best price/rating ratio on the numerous plastic units of the ‘80s.

Burnt Offerings Regards,
John