DGT Pi Chess Computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Wardy

DGT Pi Chess Computer

Post by Wardy »

In case anyone's missed it the DGT website has been updated with regards the DGT Pi Chess Computer including the manual being downloadable.

http://www.digitalgametechnology.com/in ... t-e-boards
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Thanks Paul...

the Rev II can double as a normal DGT board when placed in "E board" mode
i wonder if the Rev ll could be used with this Pi Chess Computer/Clock??

Cherry Pi Regards
Steve
Wardy

Post by Wardy »

Hi Steve,

I can't see why not, I've linked the Rev to Pico Chess previously with no issues.

Quadcore stockfish ahead regards

Paul
Scally

Post by Scally »

Yes it can, I'm using it with with my Raspberry Pi3b and PicoChess v0.75 (the same version that the DGT Pi is using)

Al.

Image[/img]
Last edited by Scally on Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

The clock is not released yet but i guess you guys know
Thanks Regards
Steve
P.S. like the White Roses Scally...Nice Touch
Scally

Post by Scally »

Steve B wrote:The clock is not released yet but i guess you guys know
Thanks Regards
Steve
P.S. like the White Roses Scally...Nice Touch
Lol.....

Yes didn't notice them behind the misses chair .....

the DGT Pi manual mentioned in the first post details what is used ...

Regards,

Al.
Wardy

It's here

Post by Wardy »

So it appears that the Chess Pi is available........ well the DGT landing page says it is and even offers to let you buy it from the online store, however the online store doesn't list it!

I have found one UK seller with it listed at a price that is difficult to comprehend given the alternative of buying a plain DGT clock and knocking up a Raspberry Pi running Pico Chess upon which the DGT is based.

Must be missing something regards

Paul
royb

Re: It's here

Post by royb »

Wardy wrote:So it appears that the Chess Pi is available........ well the DGT landing page says it is and even offers to let you buy it from the online store, however the online store doesn't list it!

I have found one UK seller with it listed at a price that is difficult to comprehend given the alternative of buying a plain DGT clock and knocking up a Raspberry Pi running Pico Chess upon which the DGT is based.

Must be missing something regards

Paul
I've experienced the same thing -- the DGT page says it is available since Oct 17, however when you click the "Buy" link near the top of the page, you can scroll through all of their "chess computers" and never see the DGT Pi anywhere. Someone needs to update their web store it seems.
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

I received an email four days ago stating it was available at ChessHouse. However, it now appears to be on backorder:

http://www.chesshouse.com/DGT_Pi_Comput ... /dgtpi.htm

I'm a bit disappointed with the price. The DGT 3000 clock can be purchased for $99 USD and the latest Raspberry Pi 3 Model B Motherboard can be had for less than $40. I was expecting (hoping) for price closer to $200 USD.

The following is a nice post from one of the developers:
http://picochess.com/dgtpi-advantages-part-1/

Impressive clock response time versus a standalone DGT 3000:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgRr-B2 ... e=youtu.be

I'll most likely be adding one of these to the collection to accompany my Gavon and Picochess Raspberry Pi 2 Model B based)...

Greg
pennine22

Post by pennine22 »

Hi

I treated myself to a DGT Bluetooth board and DGT Pi clock. I used to run a Raspberry Pi with PicoChess and liked the combo’ but was looking for something neater and near wire free and to display when off.

I opted for the Walnut board, Classic pieces without numbers, a Bluetooth board finish which Schach Niggemann (and Doska) offers but not DGT shop but cheaper than the Rosewood.

A game with Stockfish 7 level 20 against Mephisto Master at 30 seconds/move, Master with 20% ponder time, the Master was checkmated in 21 moves with the king pushed in front of its pawns to h3. (Final position shown on image.)

The clock remembers the game settings when fully off, but if switch off in mid game, as far as can tell it won’t continue game when back on as asking to set pieces back to start. Need to do a setup position scan first to continue game although quick to do.

For the clock price increase remarked on in thread, a new dedicated LCD display for the prog would have been neat. Some of the the displayed alphanumerics are a bit clunky using the clock panel.

David

Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi David,

Nice board and pieces ....

The engine, level, book & time settings are stored in the picochess.ini file and are loaded on a new RPi boot. As you said, it then expects the pieces to set up for a new game, hence 'set pieces'.

Maybe Santa will be good to me, I'm currently using a RPi 3 and PicoChess with my Rev II board.

Cheers,

Al.