Vancouver / London 68020/12 module needs new backup battery

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
mauben

Vancouver / London 68020/12 module needs new backup battery

Post by mauben »

Being once again bitten by the chess bug, as it routinely happens, I took my Exclusive / London set out of the Mephisto bag after 5 years of rest. I bought the Exclusive from Eric H when it was sold with the MMIV, then bought the Polgar, then exchanged the latter with the Vancouver 68020 when available, lately upgraded to London (by Eric himself). My only regret in all that story is not having bought the 68030 (which was however horrendously expensive).

If I correctly remember, the Vancouver dates back to 1991 or 1992, so it is 23 or 24 years old. Now it sometimes resets to German: backup battery issue, I presume.

Years ago Eric told me how to access the backup battery to replace it. I remember it was a sort of "pill" unit soldered somewhere inside the display module, which could not be dislodged by hand. So the original factory battery is still working inside the Vancouver.

I would kindly ask to members of this community if there is any resource or directions or diagram to replace the backup battery. I remember the name Arno Kreuzberg for old chess computers servicing, but I would much prefer to carry out the replacement here in Rome.

I thank you all in advance.

Best,

Mauro
youen

Post by youen »

Hi Mauro

is it this what you looking for
http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/mep ... odule.html

Best .
Youen
mauben

Post by mauben »

youen wrote:Hi Mauro

is it this what you looking for
http://www.chesscomputeruk.com/html/mep ... odule.html

Best .
Youen
Thanks Youen !

It looks like replacing the "soldered pack" with a clip-on battery holder.

I will try to get in touch with Chess Computer UK for some hints on which holder and battery I should look for and maybe work involved.

Thanks again.

M