Fidelity Elite Avant Garde 2265

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Dave S

Fidelity Elite Avant Garde 2265

Post by Dave S »

Hi All,

Please accept my humble inquiry for information as I have been eye-balling this forum as a potential source of intelligence a few times since this past spring. I registered (within the last hour) in order to post my questions. To be clear, I’m certainly not outside a podium level (or above) donation amount to the world of chess for my intrusion, but didn’t see a link tonight to the administration on the busy main page.

In any case, I own a Fidelity Elite Avant Garde 2265. I am the actual original owner of the board, and bought it new from the manufacturer approx 1988-1989. I have read that the company is no longer in business, but if company records do still exist – they will show me (Dave S.) as the original purchaser. I can provide my full name if necessary. Link to pics:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147043744@N08/e950oB

I maintained and played the board regularly from purchase until 1998. In 1998 I lent the board (on indefinite sort of terms) to a friend’s junior-high son (I’ll call him AK) who in my opinion was a very skilled player for his age. His interest in chess continued, and he had success in tournaments throughout and beyond his secondary education. Very, very proud of him indeed for his pursuit of the sport.

In January 2016, the son (AK) returned the board to me, knowing that I have a nephew who is 10 years-old with a growing interest in chess. I rewarded him for the return and for his great “stewardship” of the board. The board looked pretty much the same when I got it back. Couple things I have to solve now, however.

When I originally lent the board out in 1998, there were a few issues.

1. A knight was coming apart at the seam. Still same knight. I can epoxy. No big deal.

2. One square on the board at the time was stubborn, so you had to tap a few times but it would ultimately register the move. (first sign of a failing reed switch…looking back).

3. As two of the bumpers on the bottom of the board were gone, I pro-actively peeled off the remaining two bumpers, and stuck the dusty backed VIN label onto the front of the owner’s manual so as to not get gouged-up thru time.

I could not have asked for better stewardship of the board. Let this be PERFECTLY clear. However, I did not get back the owner’s manual, certificate, and the pieces were returned in a different bag. Who cares.

I now need the help of the chess community. Mainly, I need to know the following few things: Here is a link to photos of my board since I got it back. I took the board apart so you all could see every aspect of the hardware (printed circuitry) Link follows:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/147043744@N08/e950oB

1. What model do I have exactly? I believe it’s a 6114-2? Although the DRAM has four slots…two more extendable. What are upgrade options, and what model would upgrade options in theory take me to…6114-5?

2. Where can I buy reed switches as there are about 6 squares (now) that need replacement? Should I replace them all so it’s not a future problem for my nephew? I tried a moderately strong magnet (stronger than the pieces) but couldn’t tease them into working again.

3. Who is a trusted reed switch replacement technician? I know good soldering technicians here, but I’d rather send the board to someone familiar with chess circuit boards and testing. It’s not a big deal as long as I get back the same parts I sent.

I want to thank anyone who comments or even cares about this post in general. I don’t want to ever sell the board – I just want to be clear on that. I see there is sort of a revival on these things…some selling for 500 upwards, etc...much better models than mine…2325, etc. I wouldn’t sell mine today for even 5K. It’s just a family thing (hopefully). I just want this board to do what it has always done. Provide itself as an opponent (esp these days maybe more of a real-time 3-D dimensional opponent). Inspire. Train thought. All this while staying within a family. Hope you all understand.

I was a nobody playing chess back in the 80’s, but bought this board later in the decade to find a challenge at that time. I didn’t have anyone to play with. Two main players…Dad (& another relative in the intelligence-type community) were not available for games anymore. Was grown-up on my own and didn’t have friends who played.

I just want to know who can fix this for my nephew and how long it will take. I played nephew last year at X-Mas time. He’s young, but so clever in the best ways. I see the potential in him too (like AK). I live in the Midwest and my nephew lives in Beaverton, OR. I might have to figure out how to exercise with him online.

I can’t deny…I am looking forward, however, to cracking-off about 50 games with the board before I bid it farewell. We’ve got a love-hate relationship that I won’t forget. I got the feeling I’ll re-live a lot of hate when I box it up…but that’s ok!!! It’s not gonna get outta here without experiencing some losses either…lol!!!

In closing, please feel free to also email me with any recommendations at davescheuer@gmail.com. I will try to log onto this forum at least once a day to see what my next move should be. Take care everyone and my well-wishes for a great holiday season and a Merry Christmas!!!

Sincerely,

-Dave S.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Welcome to the board Dave S

you have a V2
model number 6114..sometimes you will see a model number of 6114-2 but not very often..they are both the same computer
upgrading to a V5 would be very hard as the V5 has a dual-processor

more on the different Fidelity EAG models here:
http://www.zanchetta.net/echecs/referencesfidelity.aspx

if I can ask you a quick question...
I have a V6 with a dead C1 square..i want to replace the reed switch but I think it will take forever to get to it
can I ask you...how long did it take you to remove the three circut boards to get to the switches??
I have replaced reeds on other chess computers where the reeds are easy to get to but on an EAG the task seems daunting

Time Matters Regards
Steve
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Hi Steve,

Yes, it appears the V-5 is a dual processor. Didn't notice that originally. It took me about 20 minutes to unscrew everything. I was surely hoping you or Larry or somebody could tell me who can solder with they're eyes-closed.

Pretty impressive collection my friend!!! I believe I saw your photo collection previously. I've been eye-balling this site before I asked for advice :)

Thanking you and everyone in advance,

-Dave.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Dave S wrote:
It took me about 20 minutes to unscrew everything..
Only 20 min..thanks
hmmm..i guess I can manage that
Prolly take me 20 Min just to ...

Remove The Back Cover Regards
Steve
dedicate computers

Hastable memories

Post by dedicate computers »

Hi,

For the photos I don't see the hastable memories, if I'm not mistaken.
Regards
Oswaldo
youen

Post by youen »

Here a link to repare the Fidelity (sorry it's in French)

http://www.link-tothepast.com/geekeur/t ... ant-garde/
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Well ... since Dave S surprised me by saying that it took only 20 min to get to the Reeds on the EAG'S....
I Finally bit the bullet and attempted to replace the dead C1 reed on my V6

took me a total time of just over 1 Hr...Repair Successful!

I Am A Schachcomputer Repair God Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:Well ... since Dave S surprised me by saying that it took only 20 min to get to the Reeds on the EAG'S....

Steve
GOD'

Only God here its me. I just destroyed a 2200 program

almost master regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:Well ... since Dave S surprised me by saying that it took only 20 min to get to the Reeds on the EAG'S....

Steve
GOD'

Only God here its me. I just destroyed a 2200 program

almost master regards
Fern
Yeah well...now that I finally fixed the V6
I played two 5 Min blitz games against it and it annihilated me

Removing The Repaired Reed Switch Regards
Steve
Scally

Post by Scally »

Lol......

I get beat up every day, so occasionally lower the level to win ....

Rev2 & PicoChess revenge ....

Al.
Dave S

Post by Dave S »

Good morning all,

First, I would like to extend a sincere thanks to all...for all of your responses. A special shout-out to "youen" for their post. I had seen that thread before - and really the content is just is a testament to pride and mutual shared interest. Great detail.

Second, although I know Steve is teasing me...it makes sense for me to work with someone closer to me - one of the best (world-wide) I'm certain. A person I was trying to attract for advice originally with my post.

So, Steve...I'll PM you with my contact info, and I'd like to hire you for the repair. Please know that I respect you, and will pay your rate. Please call me at your earliest convenience.

Here is a challenge though...I was hoping to give the board to my nephew at Christmas as a, "used second-hand" gift - this combined with a different (primary) nonsense gift that is on his list. I can package perfectly en route to repair - and I can ship the fastest. Up for it? In closing,

Time Matters, Regards

-Dave :)
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

assitanton, rape, robbery and murder.
Dave S wrote:Good morning all,

First, I would like to extend a sincere thanks to all...for all of your responses. A special shout-out to "youen" for their post. I had seen that thread before - and really the content is just is a testament to pride and mutual shared interest. Great detail.

Second, although I know Steve is teasing me...it makes sense for me to work with someone closer to me - one of the best (world-wide) I'm certain. A person I was trying to attract for advice originally with my post.

So, Steve...I'll PM you with my contact info, and I'd like to hire you for the repair. Please know that I respect you, and will pay your rate. Please call me at your earliest convenience.

Here is a challenge though...I was hoping to give the board to my nephew at Christmas as a, "used second-hand" gift - this combined with a different (primary) nonsense gift that is on his list. I can package perfectly en route to repair - and I can ship the fastest. Up for it? In closing,

Time Matters, Regards

-Dave :)

and I'd like to hire you for the repair. ..."

I hope that is just a joke. Steven has a long list of legal complaints, has been sued, has payed in prison and committed crimes in all territories of the law, including arson, rape, robbery and murder. Not the man to repair nothing. Beware

Fern, legal assistant
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steven has a long list of legal complaints, has been sued, has payed in prison and committed crimes in all territories of the law, including arson, rape, robbery and murder
this is of course all a lie

I never set fire to anything Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:
Steven has a long list of legal complaints, has been sued, has payed in prison and committed crimes in all territories of the law, including arson, rape, robbery and murder

Steve

It is well known you put in flames your mother in law, but you was declared innocent.
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Steve B wrote:
Fernando wrote:

Steve

It is well known you put in flames your mother in law, but you was declared innocent.
That was an Outdoor Barbequing accident...

May She Rest In Peace Regards
Steve