Chess and Aging

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cyberchess

Chess and Aging

Post by Cyberchess »

This topic was brought up by a few players at my chess club last summer, though I don’t recall their names.

Being a “Fischer boomer” myself, I can sure appreciate the toll Father Chronos takes on our physicality. There was a time when I cycled to the beach, did one hundred consecutive pushups on the boardwalk, then cycled home without stopping. These days I embark on leisurely exercise walks, stopping every so often to avoid over exertion.

The good news is that we can maintain our mental faculties with reading, intelligent board games such as Scrabble, and good old fashioned chess!

http://en.chessbase.com/post/checkmatin ... ase-210513

Forget Me Not Regards,
John
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Chess and Aging

Post by Fernando »

Cyberchess wrote:This topic was brought up by a few players at my chess club last summer, though I don’t recall their names.

Being a “Fischer boomer” myself, I can sure appreciate the toll Father Chronos takes on our physicality. There was a time when I cycled to the beach, did one hundred consecutive pushups on the boardwalk, then cycled home without stopping. These days I embark on leisurely exercise walks, stopping every so often to avoid over exertion.

The good news is that we can maintain our mental faculties with reading, intelligent board games such as Scrabble, and good old fashioned chess!

http://en.chessbase.com/post/checkmatin ... ase-210513

Forget Me Not Regards,
John
No doubt we preserve our brain. I have not forgot that first best move is A pawn to 5
Festina Lente
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Fernando wrote:No doubt we preserve our brain. I have not forgot that first best move is A pawn to 5
Fern,

Well, things are no so bad yet. At least you are not attempting to play rook to a5!

Greg
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:This topic was brought up by a few players at my chess club last summer, though I don’t recall their names.
John,

Are you still a member of the Marshall?

Greg
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote: John,

Greg
Greg,

While I’ve never been a card carrying member of the Marshall club, non-members are permitted to participate in tournaments for a small fee, and privileges are extended to closing time on the last day of the tournament.

Old Manhattan Club Member Regards,
John
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Oh well, I forgot all my losses. I only remember the crucial loss at highschool that made me decide to get the book "Oom Jan leert zijn neefje schaken". The rest is (half forgotten) history.
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

fourthirty wrote:
Fernando wrote:No doubt we preserve our brain. I have not forgot that first best move is A pawn to 5
Fern,

Well, things are no so bad yet. At least you are not attempting to play rook to a5!

Greg
I do not play that because is not good move..In case I try to do something with that piece, I play it from a1 or h1 to c3 or f3.
I have not forgotten my Lasker regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

paulwise3 wrote:Oh well, I forgot all my losses. I only remember the crucial loss at highschool that made me decide to get the book "Oom Jan leert zijn neefje schaken". The rest is (half forgotten) history.
Ah yes, the good doctor from Holland.

http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chess.pl?tid=81959

I’m currently reading “Chess Master VS. Chess Amateur” for the first time, and highly recommend it.

History is Written by the Winners Regards,
John
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Cyberchess wrote:
fourthirty wrote: John,

Greg
Greg,

While I’ve never been a card carrying member of the Marshall club, non-members are permitted to participate in tournaments for a small fee, and privileges are extended to closing time on the last day of the tournament.

Old Manhattan Club Member Regards,
John
Ahh, that's right. I forgot that you were a Manhattan member. I was working a bit at JFK this summer and had a free evening - so I ran into the city and toured the Marshall. I even had the opportunity to hang out and attend the beginning of a lecture by GM Irina Krush. So much history there!
Cyberchess

Post by Cyberchess »

fourthirty wrote:so I ran into the city and toured the Marshall. I even had the opportunity to hang out and attend the beginning of a lecture by GM Irina Krush. So much history there!
Happy Holidays, Greg!

Irina Krush first came to our attention as an emerging chess prodigy in the mid ‘90s. Quite a few players from the old Manhattan Chess Club, The Marshall Chess Club, and throughout the Tri-State area were competing in the BMCC Open Tournament. Many of us arrived early, and I warmed up by playing a series of 5 minute blitz games with a FIDE Master from Poland (name withheld for privacy reasons). Being something of a speed chess shark at the Marshall Club, my friend was a bit too strong for me, and I found myself struggling to hang on in most of our games.

I was relieved when the first round pairings were finally up, allowing me to gracefully excuse myself from this humiliating bout. Due to first round cross-pairings, I was paired with a relatively weak opponent, and my game was over in about half an hour. With nothing else to do for the remainder of the round, I walked around observing the games of people I was acquainted with from the NY chess scene. When I came upon the board of my earlier blitz partner, I was taken aback to find him with his face red as a beet, looking deeply perturbed. A quick over-the-board analysis of the position revealed that the young lady, appearing to be only about 13 or so, had achieved total positional superiority.

That young lady turned out to be...

GM Irina Krush Regards,
John
pr1uk

Post by pr1uk »

As I age my chess keep getting better :-)

--

Rubbish really it's just as I get oder I forget how many games I lose ;-)

Peter
King Performance Chess Computer M830
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

pr1uk wrote:As I age my chess keep getting better :-)

--

Rubbish really it's just as I get oder I forget how many games I lose ;-)

Peter
Sadly ...as i grow older...
i even forget my wins

Senior Moments Regards
Steve
SirDave

Post by SirDave »

One of the best reasons for playing dedicated boards as we get older is that there are no witnesses to our losses.

I never lose a game; prove me wrong Regards,
Dave
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

SirDave wrote:One of the best reasons for playing dedicated boards as we get older is that there are no witnesses to our losses.

I never lose a game; prove me wrong Regards,
Dave
Let me add another reason to play dedicated units: they are weaker. I feel young when beating chess challenger 7 and I feel decrepit when losing to Fritz.

I am your electronic opponent regards
Fern
Festina Lente