Nick is alive and well!

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Nick is alive and well!

Post by Reinfeld »

I just got off the phone with him - a first-time chat with someone I've long admired, as well as a happy answer to worries many of us expressed here.

Nick said to tell everyone he is just fine, don't worry. He hasn't moved, he's not sick. He received a promotion a while back that involved a great deal of work, and it's been taking all of his time, to the point where he had none to spare for chess and our little hobby.

He expects to pop into the forum at some point this weekend to say hello, though his work will continue to keep him busy, and he may not have as much time for chess in the near term. He said he was very gratified by the messages of concern, and happy to know his friends care about him, in spite of the occasional salty back and forth here.

I told him that's just low-level crabby stuff, not nearly as important as his health and well being, and that we all hold him in high esteem. I mentioned that Steve was worried because Nick hadn't been making his regular ebay purchases. Nick laughed.

Happy ending regards,

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Larry

Post by Larry »

Truly excellent news!
L
mychess

Post by mychess »

Hi all,

Thank you Reinfeld.

I think I'm not the only one to finally be able to consult the site without some apprehension.

Marea tranquiliity is back.
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

I might have to buy a dedicated on ebay just to celebrate!

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Thanx Reinfeld! That's really a great relief to hear.
Now I can just ask him to replace that boring testgame 4 for a nicer one :-P

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Excellent News!
Relieved Regards
Steve
Dave C

Nick is doing fine!

Post by Dave C »

Thank you Reinfeld.

What a relief. For someone like Nick that was so involved/dedicated to collecting and testing chess computers to completely disappear was worrisome.

It is unfortunate that he has his priorities all mixed up. Work?

Relieved regards,
Dave
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Yes good news and thanks for contacting him 👍
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Yes good news and thanks for contacting him 👍
Perhaps we should impose a special tax on him due to the worries he caused. I offer myself to collect it

Paypal regards
Fern
Festina Lente
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Fernando wrote:
Chessmaster Ireland wrote:Yes good news and thanks for contacting him 👍
Perhaps we should impose a special tax on him due to the worries he caused. I offer myself to collect it

Paypal regards
Fern
not to mention all of the money we spent on hiring a private investigator to track Nick down

Billions With a B Regards
Steve
fourthirty

Post by fourthirty »

Larry wrote:Truly excellent news!
L
+1 !!!
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Hi Everyone,

Thank you everyone for your concerns on my well being and for also not chipping in and sending me a wreath! :)

Seriously though I am very touched that you were worried about me and it is completely my bad for not communicating my circumstance.

Several months a ago I received additional responsibilities at work through the addition of a few extra departments and teams to manage. This change in my role has resulted in a lot extra work through the blending and merging of divergent directions into one overall team strategy and direction.

It will still be a few more months before my work responsibilities will settle down to a level where I can get back to spending some quality time with the hobby that we all love.

I am sure many of you have gone through something similar before, where there are times in your life when your focus changes completely and 1 week becomes 1 month followed by several months of sacrificing something else that you may love and enjoy, so that you can learn to jump this new life's hurdle successfully.

So please all don't worry, I still love our hobby and all who contribute to this Forum and I hope to also contribute again soon.

Best regards to everyone.
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Good to hear from you Nick
wishing you continued success in your career

Neglected Regards
Steve
:P