Why do I do this? (Super Mondial II)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Why do I do this? (Super Mondial II)

Post by Reinfeld »

I thought I'd sworn off. I thought I'd acquired all the dedicateds I could possibly want - nothing on the order of Steve or Nick or other stalwarts, but a decent number, 30 or so, all nice and strong.

And then...ebay, worming its way into my consciousness, alerting me to this lonely little Super Mondial II, waiting for an owner...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-Computer- ... 2929060448

I forked out 96 USD, which seemed reasonable. No box, but everything else.

My motive: a second Ed Schroder model. I have the original Milano, a very nice machine, but this one looks to be the strongest of the 8-bit machines. I wasn't interested in another Morsch - I have plenty of those. It fits right in to a potential 8-bit tourney. I'm looking forward to running it through its paces.

Now, about that Tiger Chess Grenadier I still need...

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
ricard60

Post by ricard60 »

Nice machine, but i believe that the strongest 8 bit machine is Mephisto Nigel Short not counting the portable Novag Sapphire.

Outstanding 8 bit machine regards
Ricardo
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Why do I do this? (Super Mondial II)

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:I thought I'd sworn off. I thought I'd acquired all the dedicateds I could possibly want -

- R.
Now thats the spirit!

Addicted Regards
Steve
paulwise3

Re: Why do I do this? (Super Mondial II)

Post by paulwise3 »

Reinfeld wrote:I thought I'd sworn off. I thought I'd acquired all the dedicateds I could possibly want - nothing on the order of Steve or Nick or other stalwarts, but a decent number, 30 or so, all nice and strong.

And then...ebay, worming its way into my consciousness, alerting me to this lonely little Super Mondial II, waiting for an owner...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chess-Computer- ... 2929060448

I forked out 96 USD, which seemed reasonable. No box, but everything else.

My motive: a second Ed Schroder model. I have the original Milano, a very nice machine, but this one looks to be the strongest of the 8-bit machines. I wasn't interested in another Morsch - I have plenty of those. It fits right in to a potential 8-bit tourney. I'm looking forward to running it through its paces.

- R.
Your post reminded me that I have this one too, including College module. I have only the dutch manual, Alain has only the German manual. Do you have it with the US manual?

Good luck with it!
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

paulwise asked:
I have only the dutch manual, Alain has only the German manual. Do you have it with the US manual?
Answer: I have the German manual, which compounded my frustration today as I tried to pit SMII against GK2000. SMII appears to have a fault which I can't fix, despite slogging through the German manual with a translator.

I know others have had problems with various machines. This is one of the few times it's happened to me, and I fear I've been conned. Maybe someone familiar with the guts of these things can help me.

Here's the error: After playing a few moves, SMII will abruptly revert to a new game. I'm using fresh new batteries, not the generic adapter that came with this sale. The manual provides no option that I can see for a full reset or memory clearing - it simply suggests turning it on and off. That's not working. The error persists. Any ideas, friends?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Peter63

Post by Peter63 »

Hi Reinfeld.
I have the same computer. It was bought new in 1991. I recognize your problem description. I'm not a technician but I think there's something wrong in the battery compartment and that the fit is not perfect. Perhaps there will be a short gap, the power will be broken, and the computer will restart? I do not know the answer but this problem has never occurred to me when I use the adapter. So if I play on traveling, I have other portables nowadays. Try using the adapter and see if the problem persists.
Good luck!
Greetings / Peter
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Peter,

Thank you *very* much. I haven't tested this yet, but the instant I saw your comment, I flash-recalled that the battery compartment was a wee bit loose and I had to press them in several times to get a response. Will report back.

Operator error regards,

- R.
– H.G. Wells
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

Good news: paulwise was right. With an adapter plugged into SMII, I had no hitches or restarts and played through a complete game with GK 2000. Thank you!

Game result: a draw. SMII (as Black) held a persistent advantage in a French Defense, and maintained it throughout, only to miss its chances in an endgame.

Assessment of SMII: I like the physical feel of it. The squares are a bit bigger than the GK2000 housing style we all know so well, used on many machines. The beveled front-button panel is appealing and responsive. It's very hard to talk about programmer styles with any real judgment, but I like Schroder programs (I also own the Milano). They play with deceptive solidity. Not as crazy as Kittinger, not cold as Morsch or Spracklen machines, if that makes sense.

- R.
– H.G. Wells