building a chess computer

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
DanJ

building a chess computer

Post by DanJ »

I'm thinking of building a chess computer and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this one has enough horsepower to be a top contender?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Intel-Xeon ... Sw5UZY~9eu

What kind of case would I have to buy? I have built pc's before but never anything like this, just small PC's.

Will it run stockfish to a high level?

Thanks
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

why would you want stockfish, no human can beat it. It would be depressing to play.
Now if you put in some engine with human like characteristics, or something stupid but learning like a neural network, it would be very very interesting.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

Stockfish has 20 different levels of play, the lowest of which is estimated to be around 1000 ELO. So it would work for almost all except the very young or complete novices, who might need some more handicapping.
BenRedic

Post by BenRedic »

TracySMiller wrote:Stockfish has 20 different levels of play, the lowest of which is estimated to be around 1000 ELO. So it would work for almost all except the very young or complete novices, who might need some more handicapping.
If you want an adjustable but solid UCI engine that goes lower than Stockfish I can suggest Arasan or Texel. Arasan at 10% strength and Texel at 30% strength are comparable to Stockfish at 0%. They both play completely apeshit at lowest settings.
Thank you for an interesting game.
blaubaer

Re: building a chess computer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi DanJ,
DanJ wrote:I'm thinking of building a chess computer and was wondering if anyone could tell me if this one has enough horsepower to be a top contender?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dual-Intel-Xeon ... Sw5UZY~9eu
are you joking or is this a real question? With 36 cores and 72 threads you are asking, whether it has enough horsepower?? You can be sure it has enough horsepower to win against Magnus times 2...:P
DanJ wrote: What kind of case would I have to buy? I have built pc's before but never anything like this, just small PC's.
That's up to your taste and feel - it should be suitable for the mainboard form factor.
DanJ wrote: Will it run stockfish to a high level?

Thanks
Yes, it will run stockfish - to which level you have to test.

Regards, Michael