New 'Wood' machine from MILLENNIUM

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Sargon1972

Post by Sargon1972 »

Hello Nick ,

Yes it was the 32Mhz version CM 3.1 Gideon Madrid playing style Normal and standard Book
I did get this "special "PC from C de Gorter
There are many books on it as well in the Chess Machine
So also some experimental Books ,as for Example G=Gideon GD4-D5 and so on ,as the Aegon Book,Montreux Book etc.
As ice cream on the top on this old PC it have the REAL WC program Fritz Hong Kong on it with the WC Book of C de Gorter as well ,so not the Commercial version that is sold
Also it is a 286/2x PC running normally on 20Mhz i believe
I know the story of C de Gorter he told me that Frans Morsch did take this PC and did bring ore tune it to 40Mhz ,as for testing with experimental Fritz Hong Kong version
But i have not play many games with Fritz Hong Kong ,as funny it is when u look at the Monitor u see a very ,little chessboard with chess man named as R-K-Q-p etc
Maybe after mine match vs the Reflection Vancouver i can do a match between this 2 "old" Giants from those days

Kr,Hans
Hello
I am from Netherlands and many years involved with computerchess
It,s a way of life i suppose :p

Kr,Hans
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Sargon1972 wrote:Hello Nick ,

Yes it was the 32Mhz version CM 3.1 Gideon Madrid playing style Normal and standard Book
I did get this "special "PC from C de Gorter
There are many books on it as well in the Chess Machine
So also some experimental Books ,as for Example G=Gideon GD4-D5 and so on ,as the Aegon Book,Montreux Book etc.
As ice cream on the top on this old PC it have the REAL WC program Fritz Hong Kong on it with the WC Book of C de Gorter as well ,so not the Commercial version that is sold
Also it is a 286/2x PC running normally on 20Mhz i believe
I know the story of C de Gorter he told me that Frans Morsch did take this PC and did bring ore tune it to 40Mhz ,as for testing with experimental Fritz Hong Kong version
But i have not play many games with Fritz Hong Kong ,as funny it is when u look at the Monitor u see a very ,little chessboard with chess man named as R-K-Q-p etc
Maybe after mine match vs the Reflection Vancouver i can do a match between this 2 "old" Giants from those days

Kr,Hans
That would be interesting to see. Remember to post the games when you get around to it :)

Best regards
Nick
steffen

Post by steffen »

A bit surprisingly the MCGE lost his last match in the Hiarcs-tournament vs. the Mephisto Atlanta. MCGE chose a bad opening, Atlanta played very strong.

With 6.5 out of 11 games the MCGE reached an inofficial tournament ELO of 2404 (assuming that the Reflection Vancouver has an ELO of 2400).
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Seems the MCGE has finally reached American Shores
should have mine by mid-next week

as we here in the states are always the very last to receive Millennium computers the MCGE has already been heavily tested,analyzed,dissected and entered into tournaments with an estimated elo of about 2400

So I Will probably set up a handicap match between it and the Novag Savant II at R odds ..hopefully the match will be interesting.. but at least it will be different

games will be posted in this thread:
http://hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic.php? ... vag+savant

Always The Bridesmaid Never The Bride Regards
Steve
steffen

Post by steffen »

A handicap match against the Novag Savant II? Nice idea :)
So you´re golfing, Steve?

B.t.w., the PGN tools are already for the MCGE available:
http://www.millennium2000.de/sites/defa ... indows.pdf

The English translation is going to come in a few days.

It´s the bride who cuts the cake regards,
Steffen
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

steffen wrote:So you´re golfing, Steve?
nah...never took up the game..Steffen
schachcomputers always took up a lot of my free time
:P

A Slave To The Hobby Regards
Steve
Dave C

MCGE On the Way

Post by Dave C »

I received an email today from the retailer I pre-ordered a MCGE from back in March. They placed my MCGE into the mail on Wed, 5/17. Maybe Friday delivery?...I hope. 8)

Anticipation....regards,
Dave
blaubaer

Post by blaubaer »

Hi Dave,

please tell us about your experience - I'm still in doubt...

Regards, Michael
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Dave I'm interested too...

I know that anticipation feeling, I'm still waiting for my Square Off Chess Computer, delivery has been pushed back to July.

Cheers,

Al.
Dave C

Exclusive Update

Post by Dave C »

Delivery Update: UPS indicates delivery on Monday, 5/22.

I'll report back after getting a chance to try it out.

Al - I went to the Square Off website and found info about your computer on order. It appears there have been a number of delays....sort of like the MCGE. I look forward to hearing about your experiences when you receive your Grand Kingdom set.

Sweet anticipation...regards,
Dave
franco88

Post by franco88 »

Hi Dave,
I just received my MCGE. I will try it out tonight.
Hard to send photos for me on Hiarcs.
Take care
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

franco88 wrote:Hi Dave,
I just received my MCGE. I will try it out tonight.
Hard to send photos for me on Hiarcs.
Take care
Hi Franco,
Lucky you! There are a number of us that are anxious to hear your thoughts on your new MCGE.

Congrats....regards,
Dave
steffen

Post by steffen »

Okay, and here is the link for the PGN-tool:

http://www.download.computerchess.com/F ... nglish.pdf

Steffen
franco88

Post by franco88 »

I was able to play a quick few games with the MCGE. Everyone will have their own opinion and that is the nice thing about our hobby. They are selling the MCGE now on eBay for $749 already.
The piece recognition feature is convenient and outstanding. Seeing the board close up I feel it is well made. The pieces remind me largely of the Novag wooden pieces. However, these have the piece recognition technology inside. The games against other computers have been recently chronicled expertly by Steffen and others. The initial impression is that it is over 2400 ELO at classic and active times.
I played some quick games where the MCGE never used any time at all. Maybe one second for a 40 move game with permanent brain turned off. Today, I want to link to my PC. If I can figure this out, then this should be easily accessible to our technologically advanced members. I believe in comparison that the TASC computers were slightly more elegant, especially for their time. Nowadays, the much more expensive Revelation is still the gold standard in looks and play for me. The Pewatronic board is very nice but with a very small screen, as pointed out by Dave. This MCGE is overall a very fun game to play and will challenge all but the highest rated titled players. Especially for the price, I think one can enjoy this computer and coming engine upgrades for many years to come.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

franco88 wrote:I was able to play a quick few games with the MCGE. Everyone will have their own opinion and that is the nice thing about our hobby. They are selling the MCGE now on eBay for $749 already.
The piece recognition feature is convenient and outstanding. Seeing the board close up I feel it is well made. The pieces remind me largely of the Novag wooden pieces. However, these have the piece recognition technology inside. The games against other computers have been recently chronicled expertly by Steffen and others. The initial impression is that it is over 2400 ELO at classic and active times.
I played some quick games where the MCGE never used any time at all. Maybe one second for a 40 move game with permanent brain turned off. Today, I want to link to my PC. If I can figure this out, then this should be easily accessible to our technologically advanced members. I believe in comparison that the TASC computers were slightly more elegant, especially for their time. Nowadays, the much more expensive Revelation is still the gold standard in looks and play for me. The Pewatronic board is very nice but with a very small screen, as pointed out by Dave. This MCGE is overall a very fun game to play and will challenge all but the highest rated titled players. Especially for the price, I think one can enjoy this computer and coming engine upgrades for many years to come.
Hi Franco,

Good post! Thanks for your first impressions!

Regards
Nick