New to the forum, and some other stuff :-)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
luis

Post by luis »

Hi chesspcmax, thanks :wink:
luis

Re: New to the forum, and some other stuff :-)

Post by luis »

luis wrote:On a similar note... I'm about to buy a Mephisto Europa (not A, the silver one).
Can someone here share a copy of the english manual ? I downloaded the French one because my wife can help me there, but I would like to have the english one. Anybody can help ?
I have found the manual in english for the Mephisto "Europa A".

Seems to be applicable to the "Europa" too.

I scanned it and sent to Alain, so it will be probably available on his site soon

http://www.zanchetta.net/default.aspx?C ... mentations
Dave C

Welcome

Post by Dave C »

Luis - I'll add a belated "welcome to the forum". I especially enjoyed your excellent comments about each of your chess computers, how they are different, likes and dislikes, programmers, etc.

Very well done....regards,
Dave
luis

Post by luis »

Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome :)
In the meantime I added a couple of Radio Shack machines to the "collection" if we can call it that way.

BTW: in some posts I made I attached some pictures but recently dropbox made some changes (no comment) so my links don't work anymore.

Normally I would edit my posts and fix them, because I have a deep hatred for broken links, but I discovered in this forum is not possible to edit older posts.

Why is that ? I suppose there is a reason.

And is there no way to edit / fix your old posts then ?

Am I missing something ?
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

luis wrote:Hi Dave, thanks for the welcome :)
In the meantime I added a couple of Radio Shack machines to the "collection" if we can call it that way.

BTW: in some posts I made I attached some pictures but recently dropbox made some changes (no comment) so my links don't work anymore.

Normally I would edit my posts and fix them, because I have a deep hatred for broken links, but I discovered in this forum is not possible to edit older posts.

Why is that ? I suppose there is a reason.

And is there no way to edit / fix your old posts then ?

Am I missing something ?
Hi Luis,

Hiarcs has about a 30 minute rule where you can correct your mistakes in a post. After that time you cannot edit anymore.

Yes, sometimes it can be frustrating when you find a mistake which you later cannot fix. But there is a good reason as it keeps the posts original and avoids people rewriting their posts to suit their circumstance.

If you ever need to do a correction after the 30 minutes you can always message a moderator and ask them to kindly fix it for you. For small fee I am sure that they will always be willing to do that for you :P

Capitalism works regards....
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
If you ever need to do a correction after the 30 minutes you can always message a moderator and ask them to kindly fix it for you. For small fee I am sure that they will always be willing to do that for you :P

Capitalism works regards....
we mods think of it as an "aggravation" charge

:P

Cannibalizing the Members Regards
Steve
luis

Post by luis »

as it keeps the posts original and avoids people rewriting their posts to suit their circumstance.
Yes, that's the only plausible reason I considered, but why it is needed in the first place ?

What's happened to require enforcing something like this ?

Doesn't seem the kind of board where going back editing your posts can give you some monetary gain, more prestige, or any other more or less tangible benefit :D

Also it's like saying out loud: we don't trust our users enough :wink:

Maybe there is good reason for that, I don't know.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

luis wrote: Also it's like saying out loud: we don't trust our users enough :wink:

Maybe there is good reason for that, I don't know.
I don't think it has anything to do with trust. But it stops chaos :). For me it is bad enough that sometimes I misread or miss a detail in a post as recently happened with a MikeW post where he posted something that I didn't see when I responded.

Can you imagine how quickly out of context some replies would become if original posts were changed? You would lose track very quickly.

It is better this way to keep the context and flows moving naturally forward.

Best regards
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

luis wrote: Also it's like saying out loud: we don't trust our users enough :wink:
I have been posting on forums for over 20 years and I never looked at it like that
actually its quite common AFAIK
when I posted on the CCC and also moderated there the time limit to edit posts was 15 min.

sometimes the forum here engages in full throated debates and things do get a bit heated up
it would become impossible to have the debate and moderate it if members were editing their posts all the time
in addition..there have been a few instances where members have personally attacked and insulted other members and complaints were made
again impossible to moderate if members go back and edit their posts

Editorial Regards
Steve
mikemike

Post by mikemike »

Just wanted to jump in and say that I'm new here too and it's amazing that there's so much information and such dedication to this game!