Grand master excALIBUR HOOPLA

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Grand master excALIBUR HOOPLA

Post by Fernando »

I have always read with some amazement the nice words said all the time about GM Excalibur. IN my opinion is too big to be useful, too cheap material was used to make it and the program is just mediocre, with no more positive things to say about it that, as even very old engines, it defends stubbornly.

Not because Ron, an illustrious name in this industry, visited us two years ago, are we going to lose our common sense regards

Fern
Festina Lente
scandien

Post by scandien »

Hello fern,

If You read m'y post, you'll ses that i have the same view on the grandmaster.

The point is that This machine is greatly better than other Ron product.

Best regards

Nicolas
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Personally I love the GM
the large playing board and green and white buff squares and large plastic pieces bring back the days when I played in weekend tournaments
we used the same pieces and roll up plastic boards with those colors
(of course the GM-Platinum Edition has different square colors)

love the equal time level(1) where I try to blitz the computer off the board
downside..cant turn off the annoying beeps and cant play Black from bottom
without turning the board around

all in all a ...
Must For Any Serious Collection Regards
Steve
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

Certainly is a collector item, but besides that is not a great machine, though it has some points. My problem with it is where to put it to play. For that, I should clean the full dinner table or so. My desks are already full of things, no room but for normal, not too big things.

Wiping the full furniture regards to play GM
Fern
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Steve B wrote:downside..cant turn off the annoying beeps
You could always install a kill switch on the speaker, or install a potentiometer to turn the volume down. (Insert evil laugh...)

Fernando wrote:My problem with it is where to put it to play.
I have the GM, several large Novags, and an Impos Royal, so I've learned to very creatively stack stuff on my desk and tables so that I can move it all like one great mountain when I need to clear a space. And sometimes that approach actually works, at other times, well, I have little computers for those occasions, and I've learned to walk around great piles of books that have toppled over onto the floor. Not that I have too much stuff, mind you...
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

JeffB wrote:
Steve B wrote:downside..cant turn off the annoying beeps
You could always install a kill switch on the speaker, or install a potentiometer to turn the volume down. (Insert evil laugh...)

Fernando wrote:My problem with it is where to put it to play.
I have the GM, several large Novags, and an Impos Royal, so I've learned to very creatively stack stuff on my desk and tables so that I can move it all like one great mountain when I need to clear a space. And sometimes that approach actually works, at other times, well, I have little computers for those occasions, and I've learned to walk around great piles of books that have toppled over onto the floor. Not that I have too much stuff, mind you...
If I knew how to post a photo here I would show you the stacks of books I must sort to get a path to any corner of my study room.
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I know the feeling. Your photo would probably strongly resemble my room. But I'm working on that. So far, I've moved more than a dozen large plastic storage bins of books to the garage (with desiccant to protect them from mildew), so I have a few actual pathways to stumble around in.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

JeffB wrote:I know the feeling. Your photo would probably strongly resemble my room. But I'm working on that. So far, I've moved more than a dozen large plastic storage bins of books to the garage (with desiccant to protect them from mildew), so I have a few actual pathways to stumble around in.
man, that is almost a sin. Books out of you sigh, etc. What you must do is to send there the furniture to give more room to the books.
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Oh, but they're not out of sight. The bins are organized by subject, and they're clear so I can see the spines. Plus, that's only less than half my books. I still have enough in my room to start a used bookstore. (But I'd never sell any, so I'd go out of business really quickly.)

One reason I had to move books to the garage: Too many chess computers! Again, enough to open a small shop, again, I'd probably go out of business very quickly.

I hear they have doctors for things like this...
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

JeffB wrote:Oh, but they're not out of sight. The bins are organized by subject, and they're clear so I can see the spines. Plus, that's only less than half my books. I still have enough in my room to start a used bookstore. (But I'd never sell any, so I'd go out of business really quickly.)

One reason I had to move books to the garage: Too many chess computers! Again, enough to open a small shop, again, I'd probably go out of business very quickly.

I hear they have doctors for things like this...
As we get older we accumulate things in an uncontrollable manner and what is more, we do not care. I have around 4000 books in several languages and I just tremble when they say to me I should leave some go. People I do not like much, but the one that wrote for me. They are my friends, my equals or better than me. I do not need much more company.
Festina Lente
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Fernando wrote:I do not need much more company.
Well, except for chess computers, right. (And perhaps the occasional redhead or auburn beauty?)
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

JeffB wrote:
Fernando wrote:I do not need much more company.
Well, except for chess computers, right. (And perhaps the occasional redhead or auburn beauty?)
Of course, some exceptions can be made with ladies....
Festina Lente