Revelation II serial numbers 010001 - 010005

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Scally

Revelation II serial numbers 010001 - 010005

Post by Scally »

Hi,

I was reading on the BestChessMenEver site that their Revelation II is serial number 010006, they say that this was the first production machine sold and that the the 5 earlier serial numbers were test units, how true is this? I know that the 010xxx serial numbers were bought from Ruud directly and had the owners name hard coded within.

Here’s the link to this statement, it’s from the site where my lovely Revelation II S2WB DGT chess pieces were bought from.

http://www.bestchessmenever.com/blog/fi ... -test.html

Cheers,

Al.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Al,

Well, he may have been the first to get a RevII physically in his hands, but 010001 - 010005 are definitely normal production units.

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Scally

Post by Scally »

paulwise3 wrote:Hi Al,

Well, he may have been the first to get a RevII physically in his hands, but 010001 - 010005 are definitely normal production units.

Best regards,
Paul
Thanks Paul,

That's a shame I thought mine was a "special test unit" as mine is 010005 bought 2nd hand last August.

Cheers,

Al.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Al,

Don't be sad, yours is still special: one of the first ten commercially available units!

And by the way: if you contact Ruud Martin, he may help you in personalizing it to your own name.

Best regards,
Paul
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Paul,

Before I bought it I contacted Ruud, soon after I bought it I paid a modest fee for my name on the unit, a software upgrade and Stockfish 6. But thanks anyway.

I’m still waiting for the promised Komodo Engine but am on the latest software release 3.22E, required for an LED problem with PicoChess & DGT Pi with the Rev2.

Cheers,

Al.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi all,

I mailed about this also with Hein Veldhuis, and he decided to make an item about it, which can be found at
http://www.schaakcomputers.nl/hein_veld ... mbers).pdf
(best is to copy and paste the link...)

In short: first he proudly shows his RevII, which is the number 01001! Ruud Martin originally reserved this one for himself, but as there were production problems, he finally decided to sell it to Hein, with the restriction that Hein would NEVER sell it to anyone else.

About the serial numbers: Ruud has the exclusive rights on selling the numbers 01001 to 010999. DGT sells numbers from 020001 and higher. Number 010006 was mistakenly sold by DGT. After the second owner of it asked for a software upgrade, he got that from Ruud under the condition that it was renumbered to 010011!

Hein also lists the buyers of the first 11 Rev II's. Among them a certain mister S. Blincoe ;-).

About the test-units: these are the serial numbers 010950 - 010954.

Furthermore, Hein is allowed to reveal good news: there is a Rev II emulation coming up for the Novag Robot Adversary, where the robot arm will be simulated by moving board-leds...!

Emulation regards,
Paul
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Small correction: 01001 should be read as 010001.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

paulwise3 wrote:

In short: first he proudly shows his RevII, which is the number 01001! Ruud Martin originally reserved this one for himself, but as there were production problems, he finally decided to sell it to Hein, with the restriction that Hein would NEVER sell it to anyone else.

Hein also lists the buyers of the first 11 Rev II's. Among them a certain mister S. Blincoe ;-).
Yeah...number 2(01002)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@ ... 087821003/

Before the Rev 2 Ruud always offered me the first of every computer he made because i was the very FIRST customer he had back in 2005 with his release of the Res I
Res I,Res II,Rev I ... i have the first serial number for each
with the Rev II he told me he was going to keep no.1 for himself and never sell it ..so i bought no.2

I Guess Never Is Not Such A Long Time Regards
Steve
Last edited by Steve B on Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Paul,

I guess Hein will have to update his list, as I now own 010005.

I’m looking forward to the Novag Robot Adversary emulation & am still waiting for the promised Komodo Engine.

Cheers,

Al.
Shaun

Post by Shaun »

Scally wrote:Hi Paul,

I guess Hein will have to update his list, as I now own 010005.

I’m looking forward to the Novag Robot Adversary emulation & am still waiting for the promised Komodo Engine.

Cheers,

Al.
Komodo? I'm still running v3.14 with Hiarcs & co. I'm struggling to upgrade as I have a Mac. Any hints/tips would be gratefully received!

011033 Regards

Shaun
qortahelots

plastic

Post by qortahelots »

You now know probably as much as anyone about the Igor/Ivan/GM/Mirage story.

Definitely program Mirage=Igor=GM=IvanT2. They’re all the same thing, marketed in different plastic.
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

Hello all,

I indeed confirm that I have the Rev II number #8 (010008). When I bought mine, there were other lower numbers available but I decided to get the lucky "8".

Numerology regards,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.
fdimeglio

Post by fdimeglio »

@Shaun,

I am a Mac and Linux guy and I created a Windows Virtual Machine (with Parallels, but could be also VM Ware or Virtual Box or even Linux KVM) and I am updating my Rev II that way and I can keep that "WinCrap" in a box.

AFAIK there is no way to have any macOS applications from Ruud (I asked many times already).

Hth,

Fabrice
Looking for a nice Fidelity EAG or A/S and a Odin Encore. Please send me a private message.