Electronic chessboard sending moves to GUI

You can discuss all aspects of programming and technical matters here.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Mrkrx

Post by Mrkrx »

Hello everyone!
I built electronic chessboard using arduino and i am having trouble with sending moves to chess GUI. Are there any toturials or someone could tell me how to do it? My chessboard can gather information like:
Keypad: playground.arduino. cc/Code/Keypad
8x8 matrix: sites.google. com/site/bergersprojects/reedcb/programming
Help would be much appreciated!
Cheers!
Mikako

Post by Mikako »

I'm using firefox on linux and no # of messages show but there are no new messages to show so perhaps that is why.
h.g.muller

Re: Electronic chessboard sending moves to GUI

Post by h.g.muller »

Mrkrx wrote:I built electronic chessboard using arduino and i am having trouble with sending moves to chess GUI. Are there any toturials or someone could tell me how to do it?
Chess GUIs are designed to interact with chess engines. So the usual way to handle this is to disguise the driver program for your board as an engine. That means you would have to make it print something like "move e2e4" (WB protocol) or "bestmove e2e4"(UCI) when something is moved from e2 to e4.

Chess engines are not supposed to print the moves the opponent is playing, and which is sent to them by the GUI, though. So you would have to take care that your driver knows which side it is playing for (e.g. through the "new", "force" and "go" commands of WB protocol), and suppress printing of the moves of a side it is not playing for. (Which the user presumably will have to perform on the board, after which the board would detect them.) You could also have the driver pay attention to the moves sent to it by the GUI, and suppress printing when a user plays that on the board (assuming he merely performs the move the GUI instructed him to do).
AxelFusco

Post by AxelFusco »

Hi...i am a new user here. I am not experienced in Arduino development but as per my knowledge you would have to take care that your driver knows which side it is playing for , and suppress printing of the moves of a side it is not playing for. You could also have the driver pay attention to the moves sent to it by the GUI.
h.g.muller

Post by h.g.muller »

That should be no problem. The GUI tells to a Chess engine which side it is playing for.
DougBlanch

Arena Chess GUI Help/Info :)

Post by DougBlanch »

Check out the Arena Chess GUI Help/Info :)

http://www.playwitharena.com/
NoellEagan

Post by NoellEagan »

Hi...i am a new user here. As per my knowledge you would have to take care that your driver knows which side it is playing for , and suppress printing of the moves of a side it is not playing for. You could also have the driver pay attention to the moves sent to it by the GUI.