HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index HIARCS Chess Forums
World Championship winning computer chess software program & downloads for chess database, analysis and play on PC, Mac and iPhone
 
 QuestionsQuestions   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Private MessagesPrivate Messages   Log inLog in 

PEWATRONIC New Grandmaster
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author
PATB
Member


Joined: 04 May 2011
Posts: 12

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PATB wrote:
I watched the video and it appears the evaluation score is always displayed, unless configuring the system. I sent an email to Pewatronic to confirm.

Always seeing the evaluation score will not be ideal when playing against the computer, especially when losing! I guess I can always cover it up with a piece of paper Wink


With the position view, the evaluation is not shown, which is a nice feature.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dave C
Member


Joined: 17 Jul 2015
Posts: 272
Location: SoCal, US

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Pewatronic Grandmaster Reply with quote

franco88 wrote:
Hi Dave,
Yes, I have the new Pewatronics GM. It is a wonderful computer. It has squares slightly smaller than the Mephisto Exclusive board. The pieces are also just slightly smaller, but well balanced and a joy to play with. The program is quite strong and at full strength goes up to 64 !! ply. So it is not fooled by minor tactics. You can decrease the time to one second a move and the ply down to one. At intermediate levels it will be plenty tough for most chess players. It seems to know a wide variety of opening replies. Attention- there is no replay feature. If you want to replay a game, you must first take back each move while writing it down, and then manually enter the moves yourself using the monitor mode to have the computer remember these. The computer will remember the last position if you turn off the machine. As far as I know there is no easy way to print out a position or game score to a computer. I think the style is interesting. aggressive at times, and positional at times. at intermediate levels will not usually play waiting moves, and in the endgame he understands opposition and other basic tactics. I am very pleased with this computer. Note- when the computer came to me in California it only had the round European pegs adapter and not an adapter like the Rev II. I had to hunt around for the USA two prong adapter. I wrote Peter asking him to include this for USA buyers lest they have a computer sitting there at home until they find the proper adapter. Hope this helps. My recommendation is to get this if you can afford it. It is fun and has improved my play.
Hi Franco
Thank you for the excellent summary of your experience with the new Pewatronics. Sounds like a very impressive dedicated machine. It seems that Pewatronics is working to upgrade and improve the software system they have created. Unfortunately, the small size of the screen is a problem for me.

Bigger is better, regards,
Dave
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
southernlights
Member


Joined: 13 Nov 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to study chess to move beyond a rank novice. As I do programming all day, the last thing I want to do is play chess on a computer screen in the evenings. As such, I'm looking for a nice computer with real wooden pieces to continue my learning.

Is there any more feedback on this board now that it has been out a while? In particular, I'm looking for feedback on the engines and if they can be decreased in strength substantially for a beginner. Also if it has any kind of coaching/training modes to help new players avoid mistakes or practice positions easily. Any other feedback also appreciated.

Finally, would I be better off getting a DGT board with DGT Pi instead of this setup? Price would be getting close to each other once you get nice DGT board, pieces, and the Pi.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
paulwise3
Full Member


Joined: 06 Jan 2015
Posts: 571
Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernlights wrote:
I'm trying to study chess to move beyond a rank novice. As I do programming all day, the last thing I want to do is play chess on a computer screen in the evenings. As such, I'm looking for a nice computer with real wooden pieces to continue my learning.

Is there any more feedback on this board now that it has been out a while? In particular, I'm looking for feedback on the engines and if they can be decreased in strength substantially for a beginner. Also if it has any kind of coaching/training modes to help new players avoid mistakes or practice positions easily. Any other feedback also appreciated.

Finally, would I be better off getting a DGT board with DGT Pi instead of this setup? Price would be getting close to each other once you get nice DGT board, pieces, and the Pi.

If you are still a novice, my advice would be to get a Mephisto Exclusive board, with a Mirage or MM I module. These modules are modest in pricing these days. Their strength is about 1500 FIDE elo, and at shorter time settings they play weaker of course. When you outgrow it in strength, there are a number of stronger modules available for the Exclusive board.
In this way you can start with a modest budget instead of buying an expensive machine without knowing if you like it in the end.

EDIT: if you want training, then try to get the Mephisto Europa, it has a booklet with a nice training course.

Budget regards,
Paul
_________________
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
southernlights
Member


Joined: 13 Nov 2017
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

paulwise3 wrote:
If you are still a novice, my advice would be to get a Mephisto Exclusive board, with a Mirage or MM I module. These modules are modest in pricing these days. Their strength is about 1500 FIDE elo, and at shorter time settings they play weaker of course. When you outgrow it in strength, there are a number of stronger modules available for the Exclusive board.
In this way you can start with a modest budget instead of buying an expensive machine without knowing if you like it in the end.

EDIT: if you want training, then try to get the Mephisto Europa, it has a booklet with a nice training course.

Budget regards,
Paul


Thanks for the input. I am researching a Mephisto Exclusive such as MMIV or Polgar module. I am unsure about the age of the boards now and reliability. Bu,t I will look further into them. They look like they are well made and can be run on batteries which would be nice for tabletop use without cords all over the place.

I heard back from the owner of Pewatronics about the engines. He informs me that they run a couple engines (Stockfish and Madchess) with more possibly coming. He also states that training modes can be used or you can reduce search down to one ply, or down to 0.01 seconds of search time to lower the level. Plus, there are various levels selectable from novice to grandmaster.

I will keep thinking about this. Any other input is appreciated.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mauben
Member


Joined: 21 Nov 2016
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

southernlights wrote:


Thanks for the input. I am researching a Mephisto Exclusive such as MMIV or Polgar module. I am unsure about the age of the boards now and reliability. Bu,t I will look further into them. They look like they are well made and can be run on batteries which would be nice for tabletop use without cords all over the place.

I heard back from the owner of Pewatronics about the engines. He informs me that they run a couple engines (Stockfish and Madchess) with more possibly coming. He also states that training modes can be used or you can reduce search down to one ply, or down to 0.01 seconds of search time to lower the level. Plus, there are various levels selectable from novice to grandmaster.

I will keep thinking about this. Any other input is appreciated.


Hi,

to move forward into chess, the Polgar module looks to me one of the best options, as it is not overly aggressive as the Morsch-based programs and it as a very useful feature allowing to set the sw to play at an approximate Elo rating for a 30 minutes game. No other Mephisto module does that to my knowledge. The MMIV is similar in strength but hass less features than the Polgar and its play levels are not as customizable.

The MMII is also an inexpensive option, but it sometimes plays a very boring chess and can get quite predictable.

Just keep in mind that most, if not all, the Mephisto modules and boards have somewhat dated opening books with shallow branching. If you want to explore more recent variations, the module responses can get weird (like the Polgar / Milano / Milano Pro early exchanging a Knight for a pawn in f2 when trying a variation of the Colle - Zukertort).

The Lang modules (I have the London 68020) allow to input custom opening variations but I never used that feature.

Another inexpensive option to improve is the Mephisto / Saitek Chess Challenger (also called Admiral), which has an 8-bit Morsch program also used in other boards but only in the CC allowing to select 8 "training levels" - so to speak - of which the strongest 2 can offer fun challenges.

To sum-up, my recommendations would be:

Exclusive + Polgar (long lasting value; board upgradeable to any Lang or even Magellan; I would avoid MMV, MMVI and Senator);

Chess Challenger / Admiral: nice strength setting option in a plastic board;

Milano - Milano Pro: Polgar software in a plastic "laptop" board;

Exclusive + MMII: very cheap entry level module, easy to deal with but sometimes boring.

Best,

Mauro
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    HIARCS Chess Forums Forum Index -> Main Lobby / General Discussions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
Protected by Anti-Spam ACP