PEWATRONIC New Grandmaster

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

southernlights wrote:I'm trying to study chess to move beyond a rank novice. As I do programming all day, the last thing I want to do is play chess on a computer screen in the evenings. As such, I'm looking for a nice computer with real wooden pieces to continue my learning.

Is there any more feedback on this board now that it has been out a while? In particular, I'm looking for feedback on the engines and if they can be decreased in strength substantially for a beginner. Also if it has any kind of coaching/training modes to help new players avoid mistakes or practice positions easily. Any other feedback also appreciated.

Finally, would I be better off getting a DGT board with DGT Pi instead of this setup? Price would be getting close to each other once you get nice DGT board, pieces, and the Pi.
If you are still a novice, my advice would be to get a Mephisto Exclusive board, with a Mirage or MM I module. These modules are modest in pricing these days. Their strength is about 1500 FIDE elo, and at shorter time settings they play weaker of course. When you outgrow it in strength, there are a number of stronger modules available for the Exclusive board.
In this way you can start with a modest budget instead of buying an expensive machine without knowing if you like it in the end.

EDIT: if you want training, then try to get the Mephisto Europa, it has a booklet with a nice training course.

Budget regards,
Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
southernlights

Post by southernlights »

paulwise3 wrote:If you are still a novice, my advice would be to get a Mephisto Exclusive board, with a Mirage or MM I module. These modules are modest in pricing these days. Their strength is about 1500 FIDE elo, and at shorter time settings they play weaker of course. When you outgrow it in strength, there are a number of stronger modules available for the Exclusive board.
In this way you can start with a modest budget instead of buying an expensive machine without knowing if you like it in the end.

EDIT: if you want training, then try to get the Mephisto Europa, it has a booklet with a nice training course.

Budget regards,
Paul
Thanks for the input. I am researching a Mephisto Exclusive such as MMIV or Polgar module. I am unsure about the age of the boards now and reliability. Bu,t I will look further into them. They look like they are well made and can be run on batteries which would be nice for tabletop use without cords all over the place.

I heard back from the owner of Pewatronics about the engines. He informs me that they run a couple engines (Stockfish and Madchess) with more possibly coming. He also states that training modes can be used or you can reduce search down to one ply, or down to 0.01 seconds of search time to lower the level. Plus, there are various levels selectable from novice to grandmaster.

I will keep thinking about this. Any other input is appreciated.
mauben

Post by mauben »

southernlights wrote:
Thanks for the input. I am researching a Mephisto Exclusive such as MMIV or Polgar module. I am unsure about the age of the boards now and reliability. Bu,t I will look further into them. They look like they are well made and can be run on batteries which would be nice for tabletop use without cords all over the place.

I heard back from the owner of Pewatronics about the engines. He informs me that they run a couple engines (Stockfish and Madchess) with more possibly coming. He also states that training modes can be used or you can reduce search down to one ply, or down to 0.01 seconds of search time to lower the level. Plus, there are various levels selectable from novice to grandmaster.

I will keep thinking about this. Any other input is appreciated.
Hi,

to move forward into chess, the Polgar module looks to me one of the best options, as it is not overly aggressive as the Morsch-based programs and it as a very useful feature allowing to set the sw to play at an approximate Elo rating for a 30 minutes game. No other Mephisto module does that to my knowledge. The MMIV is similar in strength but hass less features than the Polgar and its play levels are not as customizable.

The MMII is also an inexpensive option, but it sometimes plays a very boring chess and can get quite predictable.

Just keep in mind that most, if not all, the Mephisto modules and boards have somewhat dated opening books with shallow branching. If you want to explore more recent variations, the module responses can get weird (like the Polgar / Milano / Milano Pro early exchanging a Knight for a pawn in f2 when trying a variation of the Colle - Zukertort).

The Lang modules (I have the London 68020) allow to input custom opening variations but I never used that feature.

Another inexpensive option to improve is the Mephisto / Saitek Chess Challenger (also called Admiral), which has an 8-bit Morsch program also used in other boards but only in the CC allowing to select 8 "training levels" - so to speak - of which the strongest 2 can offer fun challenges.

To sum-up, my recommendations would be:

Exclusive + Polgar (long lasting value; board upgradeable to any Lang or even Magellan; I would avoid MMV, MMVI and Senator);

Chess Challenger / Admiral: nice strength setting option in a plastic board;

Milano - Milano Pro: Polgar software in a plastic "laptop" board;

Exclusive + MMII: very cheap entry level module, easy to deal with but sometimes boring.

Best,

Mauro