Constellation (not super or expert)

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

What are your experiences with a constellation? not the super or expert these are far above my budget.
- how does it play? does it blunder?
- does it break or freeze or have otherwise problems with static?
- can it play without batteries but with an adapter?
- does it run on rechargeable batteries?
- does it remember move after reset or disconnecting adapter power?

i ask this because i recently got frustrated by a kasparov machine that froze every 7 moves. Forget to reset once and your whole damn party is gone.

It did run on rechargeable batteries but had only space for 3xaa+1xaaa, which felt like a design flaw, but otherwise did not pose any problem.

Thank you for sharing!
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
scandien

Post by scandien »

Hello

below my answers

- how does it play? does it blunder?

i have plaid a match Constellation 3.6 vs Internet , and i was able to analyse his style of play.
here is the comments on th ematch :

'The Constellation was a answer of NOVAG to Fidelity Electronic. I don't know if the weakness in endgame can drop his level severely or not when facing modern players.
I stop the match with 12 games only , as the results seems ok , and when i saw the quality of the games.
The Constellation seems quite efficient versus Humans, and his tactical strength , enables him to get a FICS rating of 1840 ( in speed game, so in tournament conditions the level should be near 1760 as per larry Kaufman rules).
When the Constellation faces strong opponent ( rated above 1850) the CONSTELLATION is less efficient (only 33%) but the results shows that it is able to defeat stronger players ( specially in very tactical games). Players below 1750 are really crushed by the CONSTELLATION.

if the CONSTELLATION strength is the Tactivcal game, it has real weaknes in end game , and in close position where long term planification is needed.
In overall when facing the constellation a player should take care about the machine opportunities, because the CONSTELLATION is able to find awesome ressources.'

- does it break or freeze or have otherwise problems with static?
no mine is working fine

- can it play without batteries but with an adapter?

i play always with adapter but you can use battery

- does it run on rechargeable batteries?
i don't know i never try , but why not ?

- does it remember move after reset or disconnecting adapter power?

no

best regards

Nicolas
kosterix

constellation

Post by kosterix »

hm this doesn't sound too positive.
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
scandien

Post by scandien »

Why ? this is a good machine. The level is compliant with club player and the games are often entertaining.

of course this is a old machine an program ... but i don't see anythging negative in this.

What do you expect from a dedicated machine? What is your level in chess ?

best regards

Nicolas
Larry

Post by Larry »

I remember buying one new. Compared to the previous years
Fidelity SC9, the Connie was a leap in the fun factor, with its
sharp tactical style taking me by surprise. I own one now, and
still enjoy playing it.
L
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

I would not use rechargeable batteries in chess computers. Their full-charge voltage is significantly lower than an alkiline battery, and that difference could cause erratic behavior.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

Ok thanks for your help.
It seems to give surprising play.
Including the adapter, box etc and shipping $15 would a price total of 130$ be a real ripoff?
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

First of all scandien many thanks for answering!

It didn't sound positive because it seems the constellation plays like the wall in Berlin before 1989. I'm not familiar with the term efficient in chess, I guess it means avoiding placing the knight back and forth repeatedly.

My level in chess? Dunno, good recreational, below club I guess. I played at several countries in pubs with total strangers, and won every time. I lose from star aquamarine level A2, win 1 in 4 on A1, does that help?

I don't know how good club players are. I have played on club level 30 years ago but quit because the chess players were very unpleasant there, not as in body odor, but noisy and childish and throwing pieces through the building, and after a while I decided that was not what i was looking for. Later, I met some colleagues at the office that were involved chess players, but there seemed something "off" with each of them, so I don't intend to join a club any time soon, nor have any ambition to play face to face. I played on schaken.nl (online free thing), but after a while found players that I could not beat, but the rating of such sites is hard to translate to elo.

Constellation on highest level would be impossible for me, but I intend to use it for lowest (and fastest) level.

Rechargeable batteries : i don't know i never try , but why not ? well because non rechargeable is bad for environment, but well, they last a very long time, and rechargeables also end up in the environment anyway, so forget about it, it was just curiosity. It was just that the voltage is 1.3v vs alkaline 1.5v.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

My constellation (3.6mhz not super) just arrived in good condition and is ready for a game. It is beautiful, if one can say such a thing about a chess computer.

However I seem unable to find a location for a manual. Can anyone post a deeplink or step by step instructions? Simply turning it on makes it wait for a move by white, assuming that was me, it gives near-instantaneous response with black.
But I hate to suspect it can do much more...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=download+nova ... fab&ia=web

fails. Help!
royb

Post by royb »

kosterix wrote:My constellation (3.6mhz not super) just arrived in good condition and is ready for a game. It is beautiful, if one can say such a thing about a chess computer.

However I seem unable to find a location for a manual. Can anyone post a deeplink or step by step instructions? Simply turning it on makes it wait for a move by white, assuming that was me, it gives near-instantaneous response with black.
But I hate to suspect it can do much more...

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=download+nova ... fab&ia=web

fails. Help!
Try this excellent site for chess computer manuals:

http://www.zanchetta.net/

Use the pull-down menu to select Novag and there the Constellation 3.6 manual sits, ready for download in English, French, or German.
kosterix

Post by kosterix »

thanks!