Dedicated test position

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Cubeman

Dedicated test position

Post by Cubeman »

[fen]8/8/8/8/3N4/K5N1/1rp1R2p/3k4 w - - 0 1[/fen]
This is a good test of dedicated chess computers ability to spot zugzwang late in the search. My own budget Novak and Mephistopheles brands want to play 1.Rxh2 which leads to a draw. Can any dedicated comps find the key move 1.Ne4!!
Larry

Post by Larry »

Mephisto Master responds instantly with Ne4 with a mate in 4
announcement.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Well kudos to Mephisto Master for finding 1.Ne4 but it is not a mate in 4 but should be saying Mate in 6
Larry

Post by Larry »

Cubeman wrote:Well kudos to Mephisto Master for finding 1.Ne4 but it is not a mate in 4 but should be saying Mate in 6

:oops: I must have double pressed 'enter' button.
I reset the position... now the Master is stumped. It did, however, announce
a mate in four. Can old chess computers have senior moments?
L
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Larry wrote:
Cubeman wrote:Well kudos to Mephisto Master for finding 1.Ne4 but it is not a mate in 4 but should be saying Mate in 6

:oops: I must have double pressed 'enter' button.
I reset the position... now the Master is stumped. It did, however, announce
a mate in four. Can old chess computers have senior moments?
L
Just wonder if you had the board set up right, remember black pawns are 1 square away from promoting
Larry

Post by Larry »

Cubeman wrote: Just wonder if you had the board set up right, remember black pawns are 1 square away from promoting
Yep, some chess positions can make for an optical illusion when a pawn
is one step away from queening. Good to hear from you anyway, Chris.
Larry
BillT

Post by BillT »

Hi
Novag Star Diamond finds the move N-e4 in around 20 mins but no mate announcement.

Bill
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Radio Shack Master found N-e4 in less than 20s and announced mate in 4. I'm impressed!
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

Mephisto Miami finds N-e4 in 4s and announces mate in 4.

Excalibur Einstein LCD keychain does the same but takes 103s (fixed time level) and 73s (mate in 4 or higher level). Not bad considering it is running on 2 x AG13 batteries.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Okay something weird is happening if computers are making Mate in 4 announcement. The main line runs 1.Ne4 Rb3+ 2.Kxb3 c1=N+ 3.Kb2 Nxe2 4.Nf3 h1=N 5.Kb1 Ng3 6.Nf2#
I wonder if the computers that are making the false mate in 4 claim understand underpromotion. The position after 5.Kb1 is rather cute as both sides have KNN but black is forced to move which allows the mate. I have tested the position on high-end PC programs like Hiarcs, Stockfish, Komodo and all confirm that it is Mate in 6.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Cubeman wrote:Okay something weird is happening if computers are making Mate in 4 announcement. The main line runs 1.Ne4 Rb3+ 2.Kxb3 c1=N+ 3.Kb2 Nxe2 4.Nf3 h1=N 5.Kb1 Ng3 6.Nf2#
I wonder if the computers that are making the false mate in 4 claim understand underpromotion. The position after 5.Kb1 is rather cute as both sides have KNN but black is forced to move which allows the mate. I have tested the position on high-end PC programs like Hiarcs, Stockfish, Komodo and all confirm that it is Mate in 6.
Who knows perhaps they don't count the move just played plus the last move.
Nick
BrianM

Post by BrianM »

The excalibur does not understand underpromotion, so forget the excalibur.

The Miama (GK2000 clone) does underpromotion and plays the main line by repeatedly pressing the enter key. The "mate in" announcement is just wrong and displays 2 x "mate in 3" and 2 x "mate in 2" during play.
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

My ChessGenius Pro announced mate in 6 in 3 mins 14 seconds using analysis mode. Not the quickest but the correct solution.
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

Yarc wrote:My ChessGenius Pro announced mate in 6 in 3 mins 14 seconds using analysis mode. Not the quickest but the correct solution.
Thanks I thought the Lang programs would find it with correct announcement. I feel that the King program from Tasc or RISC 2500 would be very fast.
Scally

Post by Scally »

Cubeman wrote:Thanks I thought the Lang programs would find it with correct announcement. I feel that the King program from Tasc or RISC 2500 would be very fast.
Hi all,

I have a Tasc R30 on route (will try on arrival), plus I need to get my Berlin 68000 out for the weekend so will try both the Berlin & London 68000 tomorrow.

Cheers,

Al.