Need help on choosing between these two computer chess board

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Peeter

Need help on choosing between these two computer chess board

Post by Peeter »

Hi
I am in a position to choose between a Mephisto Milano(not pro). And a saitek mephisto chess challenger (2004). Can you advise me which one will give me the best game? Im around 1750 elo. I see they have different processors rams etc. Im looking in terms of speed and general play?

Many thanks for any help.
royb

Post by royb »

I'm not familiar with a Mephisto chess challenger (Fidelity, yes, Mephisto, no).

The Milano V1 is roughly 1900 Elo (plus or minus 100 maybe?).

The Fidelity Chess Challenger was an series of machines all relatively weak compared to your rating. The strongest ones I see listed are in the 1600-1700 Elo range, with some older ones near 1100-1300.

I'm not sure this will help, but in case it does, there it is.
spacious_mind

Re: Need help on choosing between these two computer chess b

Post by spacious_mind »

Peeter wrote:Hi
I am in a position to choose between a Mephisto Milano(not pro). And a saitek mephisto chess challenger (2004). Can you advise me which one will give me the best game? Im around 1750 elo. I see they have different processors rams etc. Im looking in terms of speed and general play?

Many thanks for any help.
If you are referring to the Saitek Mephisto Chess Challenger then this computer is about the same strength as the Mephisto Milano.

You should as a 1750 elo be able to enjoy both of them. You might find them initially tough to beat but as you practice against them you should be able to improve and have opportunities to beat them. I personally that would be a right choice for you as there is no point in buying that you beat time and again from the moment you unpack it.

best regards
Nick
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks Nick
Yes thats the model. I think i willl go for the challenger as its much newer. I was tempted by the chess genius but the build quality seems very lacking. And im not keen on the small led display.

Cheers
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

Here's the Wiki ELO list that might be of some help?

https://www.schach-computer.info/wiki/i ... o-Liste_En

Regards
Bryan
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks Bryan. Does anyone know if the speed is the same?
Bryan Whitby

Post by Bryan Whitby »

If you click on the chess computers name in the list, this will then take you to a new page with all the relevant details about that chess computer.

Regards
Bryan
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks Bryan. I would like to know how long you have to wait for a ELO 2000 response. I know it can be very long but thats the comparison id like.
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

Smart move avoiding the Millennium Chess Genius. It's built like a cheap child's toy, takes a lot of pressure to register a move, has pieces that are even uglier than the worse from Excalibur, and seems confused about who it's designed for. (The squares are all labelled a1, a2, etc, like it's for beginners, yet it has a reasonably strong chess engine, like it's for advanced players. But I can't imagine any advanced player not finding the labels annoying!)

The Chess Genius Exclusive is another story altogether. I still can't believe the same company produced both machines.

Regarding Milano vs Challenger, I have both, and I believe you'd like either one.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Cheers Jeff.
It looks now like it may be the Milano. If they played against each other who would win? Are the speeds similar.

Thanks
JeffB

Post by JeffB »

They are so evenly matched that I would not be surprised to see a 12 game match between them go 6-1/2:5-1/2 either way. The Milano has a 6502 running at 5MHz, and the Challenger is an H8 at 10MHz, but clock speed can be a very misleading metric.

I also would not be surprised if Nick of Spacious Mind fame has already had these two face each other, though probably in a larger tournament.
Cheers,

Jeff B.
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks again Jeff. Ive read the Schroeder Milano plays a positional type game. Does that mean it puts less emphasis on tactics? This means that they would be two didfferent personalities perhaps?
paulwise3

Post by paulwise3 »

Hi Peeter,

The elo is typically measured at tournament level, that is 40 moves in 2 hours.
But as you are 1750 elo, you may better start using it at a lower level, for instance 15 or 30 seconds average thinking time per move, and permitting yourself to take more time for a move. Even at short computing times these machines easily compute 5 to 6 plies (half-moves) deep.

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
scandien

Post by scandien »

hello

in my view both machine are nearly playing with the same strength.

But the playing style of both machine differ greatly.

If the Challenger is an agressive player, it may launch fierce attacks, but then creating weaknes which may be decisive during the endgame, and that may be used by the opponent if he survives the attacks. The Challenger strength is really impressive during the middle game (may be master level) , but in end game it is (relatively) weak.

The Milano , even if active, will wait for good conditions to launch the attack (much like a real human expert) It is more balanced in the different part of the game ( middle game and end game) .

With the challenger you need to survive at he middle game to be able to win, but with the Milano you need to defeat it both in middle game and in end game.

best regards

Nicolas
Peeter

Post by Peeter »

Thanks guys. This has helped me a lot in deciding. Im more into the Milano by the sounds of it. A better balanced computer may be a better teacher for now. Its very addictive though seeing the different personalities.