BBC News; 'Google's ... DeepMind AI claims chess crown'

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
pennine22

BBC News; 'Google's ... DeepMind AI claims chess crown'

Post by pennine22 »

Not sure if old news in the chess community but spotted this BBC News item Dec. 7th on Google's AI chess software learning chess from scratch 'in a few hours' and then beating or drawing Stockfish 8 over 100 games.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-42251535
chesspcmac

Hmmm

Post by chesspcmac »

Interesting. Thanks for sharing it. So chess at the end will be like tic-tac-toe. I wonder how much input the computer received. This AI was able to learn about OPENINGS, open files, bishop pairs, passed pawns, weak points etc. by itself in few hours, days? So decades of chess knowledge and this AI learnt all of this in few hours, days? So for this computer we are like roaches.

More depressed than happy regards

Mike
"Sir, the slowness of genius is hard to bear, but the slowness of mediocrity is insufferable"

Henry Thomas Buckle
Yarc

Post by Yarc »

The Alpha 0 neural network is clever for sure, and I read that it's ELO performance is about 3489 ELO in its match against Stockfish8. This strength was obtained after only 4 hours of playing itself at chess! I call this true AI, no human knowledge programmed in, only the rules of the game.

As we have already been defeated at chess by conventional chess engines such as Stockfish, Komodo, Houdini etc. for sometime now, I don't think we need to be depressed, just accept that it's pointless playing against such programs.

There is still plenty of interest for us in the Royal of chess, we can play other mortals or our weaker but still strong dedicated machines and enjoy discovering new things all the time.

Even though draughts/checkers has been solved, it still does not take away the pleasure of playing this game against other humans or weaker engines.

Just My Not So Deep Thought Regards
Ray
X__Gandalf__X

Re: BBC News; 'Google's ... DeepMind AI claims chess crown'

Post by X__Gandalf__X »

pennine22 wrote:Not sure if old news in the chess community but spotted this BBC News item Dec. 7th on Google's AI chess software learning chess from scratch 'in a few hours' and then beating or drawing Stockfish 8 over 100 games.

I am truly astonished. I'm also a little bit scared of what the future might bring :shock:
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

X__Gandalf__X wrote:
pennine22 wrote:Not sure if old news in the chess community but spotted this BBC News item Dec. 7th on Google's AI chess software learning chess from scratch 'in a few hours' and then beating or drawing Stockfish 8 over 100 games.

I am truly astonished. I'm also a little bit scared of what the future might bring :shock:
Well if it were ever made available to the public it might destroy the engine chess hobby and human correspondence chess.

As an oldie fan it is not going to change what I enjoy and neither will it change anything with over the table face to face human vs human games.

So I guess I am not that worried about it or interested :)

Best regards
Nick
Clive

Post by Clive »

It sounds impressive. But is it really?

Consider this.

1: Deep Mind was running on faster hardware. It could have been running on thousands of processors. Stockfish was probably running on some old R&D laptop.

2: No opening book means that Stockfish could have been playing the same move again and again. Deep Mind finds a way to win with white after 25 games and then repeats this another 25 times. With Black it took it 47 goes before getting a win.

3: Limited to 1 minute a move. This would surely favour Deep Mind running with all that hardware.

The best we can say is that it never lost to Stockfish which on its first game means it had at least reached a good standard of chess with only four hours training.
BlackSails911

Post by BlackSails911 »

I agree with Clive. We need more transparency regarding the match, the hardware, and other conditions. The cherry picked games Deepmind/Google presented are very impressive in any event.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
As an oldie fan it is not going to change what I enjoy and neither will it change anything with over the table face to face human vs human games.

So I guess I am not that worried about it or interested :)
pretty much my thoughts exactly
in fact..the stronger these super computers get in chess...4000.5000.6000 elo and beyond....the more I push back drilling down deeper and deeper into my old computers
Hmmm ..Perhaps a match...Novag Savant II vs.Scisys Mark VI Philidor(with auto-sensory board attachment) is in order...

Luddite Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:
pretty much my thoughts exactly
in fact..the stronger these super computers get in chess...4000.5000.6000 elo and beyond....the more I push back drilling down deeper and deeper into my old computers
Hmmm ..Perhaps a match...Novag Savant II vs.Scisys Mark VI Philidor(with auto-sensory board attachment) is in order...

Luddite Regards
Steve
Wise decision. I am still trying to understand how this all works.

Google buys a company for $500,000,000.00 who spends 7 years playing Go, Shogi and Chess.

For most of that time they probably go and take open source chess information to develop their program, do 5 years of testing, use 2000+ core computer power to play Stockfish for about 4 years or so and then post 10 games to show how superior it is without sharing code much of which probably originates from Stockfish and Co. to begin with :) (They have to take chess info from somewhere in order to figure chess out)

Sounds more like desperation, someone has to justify that initial $1/2 Billion dollar purchase plus millions of $'s spent per year over the past 5 or 6 years.

To show what? To do what with it? What ever Google has they probably are still trying to figure out what to do with all this.... lol

Perhaps they could have saved $400,000,000 by just offering the world's top 10 chess programmers $10,000,000 each to collaborate full time in an office together for a couple of years and perhaps they might have achieved the same results and at the same time saved $400,000,000 in the process :)

Let me guess... If we can figure out and master chess, then we can figure out and master the world next! :)

It's a mad, mad world!

Regards
Nick