Stockfish 8 was crushed by AlphaZero AI

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:Dear Nick, no neccesary all that work
I am happy with what I have.
We are not making Quid pro quo business. I send this program as the previous as a gift and happy to do so, not as a reimburse of a past or future delivery.
The sargon 3 failed probably because of me and so it is OK, You did an enormous effort and I am very grateful for that.
It is never quid pro quo with me :) I am doing this because I would want to. Besides I have work colleagues in Chile who are good people and good to me so it balances out.

Regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
We are not making Quid pro quo business. I send this program as the previous as a gift and happy to do so, not as a reimburse of a past or future delivery.
The sargon 3 failed probably because of me and so it is OK, You did an enormous effort and I am very grateful for that.
It is never quid pro quo with me :) I am doing this because I would want to. Besides I have work colleagues in Chile who are good people and good to me so it balances out.

Regards
Whom? The Colleagues?
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Regards
Whom? The Colleagues?
Its who I work for, we are big in South America.
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Regards
Well, if some time you are sent to my ciuntry, be sure you can count with a room and all that in my huge house - three levels- where lives two persons, my wife and I.

Whom? The Colleagues?
Its who I work for, we are big in South America.
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:Well, if some time you are sent to my ciuntry, be sure you can count with a room and all that in my huge house - three levels- where lives two persons, my wife and I.
Well you never know that might happen some day. We get together a couple of times per year. Next spring (March I think) its in Mexico. But it is possible that some time in the future it is in Chile and then we can have dinner together and talk about Steve B. and other forum members :)

Best regards
Nick
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:Well, if some time you are sent to my ciuntry, be sure you can count with a room and all that in my huge house - three levels- where lives two persons, my wife and I.
Well you never know that might happen some day. We get together a couple of times per year. Next spring (March I think) its in Mexico. But it is possible that some time in the future it is in Chile and then we can have dinner together and talk about Steve B. and other forum members :)

Best regards
That would be great. Or on the contrary, who knows, I will go to US. I have been there several times, in Boston, NY, LA, but not in Alabama....Maybe is the best place to get a good bourbon, my fav liquor
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Fernando wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:

Best regards
That would be great. Or on the contrary, who knows, I will go to US. I have been there several times, in Boston, NY, LA, but not in Alabama....May
be is the best place to get a good bourbon, my fav liquor
I am sure you can get bourbon anywhere in the U.S., but yes Alabama sells it too, except on Sundays when alcohol is still not sold in most counties in Alabama (religious conflict I guess).

Strange really because what people do then is just drive to a county that sells it, but even those don't sell it until after 12.00 in the afternoon.

Regards
Nick
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

I think it is pretty clear from the difference in hardware that we can't really compare AlphaZero to the top engines. It's a shame they didn't try harder to make that part of the match fair, and also that they didn't make all 100 games available, which should be easy in this day and age. But I'm still excited about the AI implications. Whether AlphaZero is the strongest chess-playing entity, or it is a few hundred ELO points lower than the top engines, if it did indeed learn on its own by playing thousands of games against itself in a few hours, that is an incredible thing, and AlphaZero has already proven its credentials with the way it became the best Go-playing entity on the planet by learning in a similar fashion last year.

I hope they can use the process now in applications such as optimal routing, genetics, medical research, astronomy, physics, etc.
herO

Post by herO »

spacious_mind wrote:
Fernando wrote:I my opinion what is amazing about this Google monster is the fact it learned the game and got such a level in just a couple of hours.
Any engine is at the end the result of centuries of chess playing, slowly accumulated knowledge, etc, which in one way or another get embedded in the engines that add to that, of course, his calculation power.
I cannot care less if this monster is better or not than any existing engine, but the fact of how fast it got what he can do. I wonder what will happens when mosnter ike this but even more powerfull be given not just the dabatase and rules of a game, but lot more, in extremis, the full knowledge in any field accumulated by the human race. I think we can debate about this...
That's the problem though no one has those 2000 core computers. Maybe you have to wait 5-10 years when they become available.

Just like IBM in the past this could be a Marketing ploy to push new generations of computers our way.

OH btw... by then all the amateur programmers will have figured out the same and you will have loads to choose from again for analysis. Since playing them will remain a waste of time unless you like the pain of losing for ever.

Best regards
2000 core computers are not available, but do not forget, it is still possible to get these kind of supercomputers with many cores. Johnny engine used 2400 cores at WCCC tournaments.