adapter

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
kosterix

adapter

Post by kosterix »

I'm looking for a net adapter for my Novag Star Aquamarine. Any suggestions on price of these things including shipping? I live in the Netherlands.

Was looking on ebay (searching for netzteil and such) but no luck yet, there is one from spain but around 35 euro incl. shipping, is that reasonable?

TIA
Strive for avoiding anything flat that emits light. Love the unhackable chess computer with real pieces and a tactile feel. I do not collect, I live.
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

I avoid adapters whenever possible, I had some problems with it in my computers in the past, so I use mainly recheargeble batteries.

But if you want to buy one, avoid the cheap Chinese ones, pay attention in the nominal voltage (V) and maximum current (mA). Only buy regulated ones, i.e. they don't vary voltage according to the load. If it is 9 V, it is 9 V. Non regulated ones have a higher voltage that drops accordind to the load.

I would prefer an adapter with a filter (that cylinder next to the plug).

I think 35 euros is a little bit high, but if it's a good one, it maybe worth it.

Cheers
paulwise3

Re: adapter

Post by paulwise3 »

kosterix wrote:I'm looking for a net adapter for my Novag Star Aquamarine. Any suggestions on price of these things including shipping? I live in the Netherlands.

Was looking on ebay (searching for netzteil and such) but no luck yet, there is one from spain but around 35 euro incl. shipping, is that reasonable?

TIA
Hi,

You can use any universal adapter, as long as you set it on 9V and negative center. They should not be that expensive.

Best regards, Paul
2024 Special thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12741
2024 Special results and standings: https://schaakcomputers.nl/paul_w/Tourn ... 25_06.html
If I am mistaken, it must be caused by a horizon effect...
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

CompDad wrote:I avoid adapters whenever possible, I had some problems with it in my computers in the past, so I use mainly recheargeble batteries.
interesting how folks can differ on this
personally I avoid batteries whenever possible and will only use an adaptor
I have seen far too many computers with corroded battery compartments due to leaked battery acid due to them being left there and forgotten

Wiki Leaks Regards
Steve
CompDad

Post by CompDad »

Steve B wrote:
CompDad wrote:I avoid adapters whenever possible, I had some problems with it in my computers in the past, so I use mainly recheargeble batteries.
interesting how folks can differ on this
personally I avoid batteries whenever possible and will only use an adaptor
I have seen far too many computers with corroded battery compartments due to leaked battery acid due to them being left there and forgotten

Wiki Leaks Regards
Steve
Yes, there is this disavantage using batteries, but as I don't have many computers (a little bit over 20) and use them regulary, I never had this kind of problem, but have bought one from ebay, a Saitek Centurion, with the batteries terminal completely corroded, but works good with an adapter (the only one of my computers that I use it).

On the other side, I have lost a couple of computers due bad adaptors.

Adapted for batteries regards