Fritz 1 questions

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Fritz 1 questions

Post by Fernando »

Yesterday I played a long game against Fritz 1 in my faster computer after a long time without playing nothing. What I realized was -but not sure, so I ask you here-that the program lack almost completely of even a shadow of strategic acumen so in middle game I already had it in a losing position and then with some tactical shots I won two pawns, only, later, due to my weakening of concentration and interest and of course due to the tactical power or Fritz, the machine recovered one pawn and then -still I had the best chances to win- I completely lost view of a three times repetition maneuver and it was a draw.
Now, my questions:
a) Is SO weak strategically this program OR was just one of those things?
b) Is this the program used for the engine of Travel master?
c) which is the Elo of Fritz 1? My guess; no more than 1900 Elo

Fern
Festina Lente
scandien

Post by scandien »

hello fernando

fritz 1 was an agressive and tactical program with godd knowledge ins strategy ( compared to program of that era).

It is quite agressive ( but can weaken his position to get attacking chance), but less than the GK2100 (a vesion of fritz 2 i think) which was the more agressive engine .

It have some problem with calculation power ( like many program of this time).

One version of fritrz 1 was use with the GK2000?

i guess the level is 1850-1950 Elo (FIDE)

best regards
TracySMiller

Post by TracySMiller »

The rating of Fritz 1 is 1941, per the SSDF, running on 486/33 Mhz hardware:

https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... php?t=4819

Of course, the strength will vary based on what hardware you're using, and also which emulator you are running it with. For example, Qemu runs about 50% faster than DOSBox. You could refer back to Spacious Mind's thread about the relative ELO gains for various processors, and make a decent judgment. For example, if you're playing on hardware that is the equivalent to a Pentium 200 MHz, you could add about 170 ELO to the 1941.

But really the best way to gauge is for someone with an establish ELO rating to play many games against it (at least 20, but 100 is better) and do the usual ELO math. Do you have a FIDE rating?
Fernando
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by Fernando »

TracySMiller wrote:The rating of Fritz 1 is 1941, per the SSDF, running on 486/33 Mhz hardware:

https://www.schachcomputer.info/forum/s ... php?t=4819

Of course, the strength will vary based on what hardware you're using, and also which emulator you are running it with. For example, Qemu runs about 50% faster than DOSBox. You could refer back to Spacious Mind's thread about the relative ELO gains for various processors, and make a decent judgment. For example, if you're playing on hardware that is the equivalent to a Pentium 200 MHz, you could add about 170 ELO to the 1941.

But really the best way to gauge is for someone with an establish ELO rating to play many games against it (at least 20, but 100 is better) and do the usual ELO math. Do you have a FIDE rating?

No, I do not. Just the guess of GM Morovic and IM Letelier that I was around 21000 or so, plus a win in a tournament of mediocre players., etc...My guess is that in a good day I am perhaps 2000 and in a bad day 400...

Fern
Festina Lente
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Just finished Fritz 1 game in my tourney DB - P90 speed.

Guess what Fritz 1 played here as White to move:

[fen]8/8/8/R4K2/1p6/1k6/8/8 w - - 0 51[/fen]

regards
Nick
Cubeman

Post by Cubeman »

spacious_mind wrote:Just finished Fritz 1 game in my tourney DB - P90 speed.

regards
Only 2 moves win Ke4 or Kf4, I remember that Fritz 1 was quite weak in endgames so guess some rook move?
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Cubeman wrote:
spacious_mind wrote:Just finished Fritz 1 game in my tourney DB - P90 speed.

regards
Only 2 moves win Ke4 or Kf4, I remember that Fritz 1 was quite weak in endgames so guess some rook move?
Yep you got it. Fritz 1 played Ra7? and draws instead of winning. :cry:

Quite sad... regards
Nick