Mephisto Chess Explorer question

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Reinfeld

Mephisto Chess Explorer question

Post by Reinfeld »

I don't own this machine. I have Explorer Pro, which is stronger. But recent threads by Four.nine have sparked my curiosity.

In theory, and in Wiki-elo lists, Explorer is a clone of GK 2000, just as Explorer Pro is a clone of GK 2100.

But both Explorers, created more than a decade after their predecessors, have stronger guts and more processing power. And Four.nine has demonstrated that Explorer Pro has secret options that appear to add strength.

I haven't seen the same demonstration with Explorer, but I'm guessing the secret options and the related strength increase might exist. If true, Explorer would (theoretically) register as stronger than GK 2000, and elevate its ranking. Has anyone looked into this?

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Mephisto Chess Explorer question

Post by Steve B »

Reinfeld wrote:I don't own this machine.
I haven't seen the same demonstration with Explorer, but I'm guessing the secret options and the related strength increase might exist. If true, Explorer would (theoretically) register as stronger than GK 2000, and elevate its ranking. Has anyone looked into this?

- R.

Well i did look into the Secret Options thingy

from the same thread where we first discussed the secret options in the Ex Pro:
http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 0743#70743

Been There Done That Regards
Steve
Reinfeld

Post by Reinfeld »

from the same thread where we first discussed the secret options in the Ex Pro:
http://www.hiarcs.net/forums/viewtopic. ... 0743#70743
Ha!

Thank you:)

- R.
"You have, let us say, a promising politician, a rising artist that you wish to destroy. Dagger or bomb are archaic and unreliable - but teach him, inoculate him with chess."
– H.G. Wells