ESB Modular Board

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

spacious_mind wrote:
Steve B wrote:hi Nick

its interesting to see the serial number on your Mephisto 1 module

i dont think i even have a serial number on my Mephisto I
it must have fallen off after all of these years

conversely I am thinking that these labels can also be removed and replaced onto other computers as well by a previous owner?

:shock:
Hmmm Regards
Steve
Steve,
My Mephtisto I, Mephisto II and Mephisto III have Serial Numbers on the module and on the Housing and each one matches against the other.

The user manual (the photo from yesterday) has this Ein/Aus switch here is the pic a close up from the photo, my Mephisto I housing has exactly the same switch.
You know that your Mephsito II and III has 3 words on the bottom and 3 on the top of the left switch. Do you know of any other housing that just have the 2 words Ein/Aus?

So I have a user manual that matches my machine a housing that is dfferent to Mephisto II or III and matching serial numbers. There is too much consistancy here for someone to make swap outs... Besides I only bought it for a few $'s from someone who was not a collector.

So for me I still have an unexplained mystery in my hands :D

I think you can clearly see just the Ein/Aus switch on the left image.

ps. Overtom also has exactly what I have so I am not alone in this.

All the head scratching best
hi Nick

i have several briketts with different combinations of words as follows:

i have a Mephisto III in III Brikett and there are only two words ..aus/ein on the bottom and no words on the top of the left hand switch

another is the ESB II in the ESB Brikett and again...only two words on the bottom of the left switch

I have a Mephisto I in I Brikett with three words only on the bottom nothing on top

a Mephisto III in III Brikett with 3 words top and bottom

a finally a Mephisto II in Mephisto II Brikett only two words on the bottom nothing on top

i am not certain this means anything special in particular

Best
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote: hi Nick

i have several briketts with different combinations of words as follows:

i have a Mephisto III in III Brikett and there are only two words ..aus/ein on the bottom and no words on the top of the left hand switch

another is the ESB II in the ESB Brikett and again...only two words on the bottom of the left switch

I have a Mephisto I in I Brikett with three words only on the bottom nothing on top

a Mephisto III in III Brikett with 3 words top and bottom

a finally a Mephisto II in Mephisto II Brikett only two words on the bottom nothing on top

i am not certain this means anything special in particular

Best
Steve
Hi Steve:
Thanks a lot! That has answered my questions on the housing, I knew you would have a million of these things :)

Is there anything you can share on user manual with the 2 switches? Is it also a common manual front?

All the best and sorry for pestering you with all these questions, I am trying to break it down to your suggested possiblity that the serials were switched, because if that is all that is left then I will mark it down as such and not wonder about it anymore everytime I pull it out to play :D
Nick
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

of course you are not pestering me with these questions!

this is our hobby and if we dont discuss these things between us then i am forced to talk about it with my wife which believe me is no pleasure for her or me
:P

for my manuals:
Mesphisto I manual(German) showing three words on bottom of left switch
Mephsito II manual(English) showing two words on bottom of left switch
Mephisto III manual(German) showing no photos on the front page

Switch Hitting Regards
Steve
spacious_mind

Post by spacious_mind »

Steve B wrote:of course you are not pestering me with these questions!

this is our hobby and if we dont discuss these things between us then i am forced to talk about it with my wife which believe me is no pleasure for her or me
:P

for my manuals:
Mesphisto I manual(German) showing three words on bottom of left switch
Mephsito II manual(English) showing two words on bottom of left switch
Mephisto III manual(German) showing no photos on the front page

Switch Hitting Regards
Steve
Well that tells me they were all over the place with their units. My manual page 7 for Mephisto II German also shows two words bottom left switch but the unit itself has 3 words bottom left.

So perhaps they were just as liberal with what they used as a housing for Mephsito I's at some period in the past.
As I mentioned earlier Overtom has the same as mine and I remember Alain also telling me that Gandarff54 or something like that in France has the same. So there are one or two people with the same liberal housing.

Best regards
Nick