Revelation II Anniversary Edition CPU Upgrade:

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Scally

Revelation II Anniversary Edition CPU Upgrade:

Post by Scally »

Hi Guys,

Today my new Rev2 Anniversary Edition CPU upgrade arrived from Ruud Martin of Phoenix Chess Systems. Ruud had already emailed me upgrade instructions and a video link.

My Revelation II was on v3.25F and I had all emulations.
Here’s the before upgrade pictures (click on a picture for a bigger image):

Here I have placed my Rev2 upside down on a soft cushion and removed the 14 Allen screws before removing the cover:

And here are pictures of the inside of the Rev2, we are going to remove only the small CPU in the bottom right corner:

Having replaced the CPU, I quickly tested the Rev2 before replacing the 14 screws:

Here are the after upgrade pictures:

Note the Revelation II Anniversary Edition boot screen & that we are now on v3.33C

The Main Engines have been increased to 20, here’s the list:
Komodo 12.1
Fruit 2.1
Fruit 2.5
Toga 1.0
Toga 1.2
Shredder 13.1
Hiarcs 14.1
Baron 1.0
Zurichess 1.9
Vajolet 2.5
Robocide 1.0
Stockfish 10.0
Galjoen 0.37
Floyd 0.9
Wyldchess 10.6
Stockfish 9.0
CT800 1.33
Texel 1.7
Rodent 0.240
Sayuri 12.16

I couldn’t help noticing that the new Engines include the native DGT Pi engines, minus Arasan & Laser.

There are new books too, Stockfish, Varied, GM2600, Standard, Worldchamps, Anand, Closed, Flank, Fun, GM1950, GM2001, Indian, Korchnoi, Larsen, Open, Performance, Pro & Semiopen.

I have the same 24 emulations as before, but these are shown as 2 characters each instead of 3, leaving space for 8 more, interesting 😄

A big thank-you goes out to Ruud who helped me arrange this upgrade and allowed me to upload this thread.

Cheers,

Al.
Dave C

RevII AE

Post by Dave C »

Hi Al,

Thanks for an excellent summary of the upgrade process. This should calm some folks fears of opening their RevII and plugging in the new board.

Dave
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: RevII AE

Post by Steve B »

Dave C wrote:This should calm some folks fears of opening their RevII and plugging in the new board.
Au Contraire Dave
the thought of futzing around with 14 screws to replace a Cpu makes this a non-starter for me at any price..
first chess computer ever released for sale that required this type of upgrade..not to mention i lose the REV II .....which from a collecting standpoint is unacceptable
one thing I learned years ago in collecting..you don't fill one hole in the collection by creating a new hole
now I realize I can switch back and forth between Rev II and Rev II+ but I don't feel like having a screw driver handy every time I sit down to play chess

I don't see myself buying a full blown Anniversary Edition
I did make a suggestion in this thread for Ruud to offer a scaled down Anniversary edition without the pieces and perhaps a discount to Rev II owners but that fell on deaf ears I guess

now Looking ahead to a possible future Rev III
This will have to offer something other then more PC engines or a faster CPU...previous offerings from Ruud evolved from modules to a wooden board(Rev I) to a wooden piece recognition board(Rev II)
only thing I can think of that would ignite my interest would be a Robot...preferably armed.. but sliding pieces would be OK

Joe The Mechanic Send His Regards
Steve
Scally

Post by Scally »

Steve B wrote:the thought of futzing around with 14 screws to replace a Cpu makes this a non-starter for me at any price....

....now I realize I can switch back and forth between Rev II and Rev II+ but I don't feel like having a screw driver handy every time I sit down to play chess

Steve
Hi Steve,

It took me about 15-20 minutes to remove the screws, unclip the CPU, push in the new CPU and clip it down & do up the screws.

You need an Allen key not a screw driver, but the real pain is that the original CPU has to be returned, so you can’t switch between the Rev2 and Rev2+, something I’m not happy with having paid for the Rev2 and then the replacement CPU.

Al.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote:
Steve B wrote:the thought of futzing around with 14 screws to replace a Cpu makes this a non-starter for me at any price....

....now I realize I can switch back and forth between Rev II and Rev II+ but I don't feel like having a screw driver handy every time I sit down to play chess

Steve
Hi Steve,

It took me about 15-20 minutes to remove the screws, unclip the CPU, push in the new CPU and clip it down & do up the screws.

You need an Allen key not a screw driver, but the real pain is that the original CPU has to be returned, so you can’t switch between the Rev2 and Rev2+, something I’m not happy with having paid for the Rev2 and then the replacement CPU.

Al.
Thanks Al
didn't realize you have to return original Rev II CPU
not good for collecting purposes
if you elected to keep original CPU any idea how much more it would run you?

Allen Town Regards
Steve
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Steve,

I’m just guessing, but I don’t think it’s down to money.

Yes, we are collectors and would like to keep the original CPU safe so as to have a Rev2 and a Rev2+, like swapping over Modules in a Mephisto board. But imagine if the original CPU got into the wrong hands, theoretically anyone with a Rev2 could swap the CPU and gain all the emulations.

Speculative Regards,

Al.
Rhglomb

Post by Rhglomb »

As long as everyone only expresses his dissatisfaction, but in the end buys everything at Ruuds conditions and prices, nothing will change here.

I have decided not to buy anything from ruud or dgt at these conditions. As much as I would like to have the update, I don't like to be taken for a ride.

and although I could afford an update or a second revelation ii ae without problems, i can also afford to do without the products of Ruud or dgt,DGT, as long as they consider me a cow that can be milked and not a customer.

„Sending back the old GPU“ is one of many other things i canˋt accept at this price.

Ralf
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote:Hi Steve,

I’m just guessing, but I don’t think it’s down to money.
you could be right...
somehow though.. I imagine for the right price ....

Its Always The Money Regards
Steve
Dave C

Post by Dave C »

Steve B wrote:
Dave C wrote:This should calm some folks fears of opening their RevII and plugging in the new board.
Au Contraire Dave
... i lose the REV II .....which from a collecting standpoint is unacceptable
….only thing I can think of that would ignite my interest would be a Robot...preferably armed.. but sliding pieces would be OK

Joe The Mechanic Send His Regards
Steve
Hi Steve,
Points well taken. I particularly resonate with the collecting position. I would not want to have a RevII A.E. at the expense of losing the original RevII. However, I have to say that Rudd has fulfilled his promise of future upgrades to the original hardware which will be well received by most folks. Too bad his original design did not allow for plug-in module upgrades, ala: Saitek Renaissance, etc.

Upgraded...regards,
Dave
paulhuk

Post by paulhuk »

Hi Al,

Thanks so much for posting those technical details. Really helpful and its great that there will now be 20 programmes to choose a good thrashing
from :shock: . I imagine that the king emulations now run at the correct 30mhz? I can see the dilemma for the collectors and initially the thought of returning my precious board to Ruud was ruling out the upgrade. The customer refit option however is brilliant and means i can go ahead and purchase the new chip :D

Many thanks,

Paul
Josef

Post by Josef »

Great! Thank you for your upgrade report!!
Steve B
Site Admin

Re: Revelation II Anniversary Edition CPU Upgrade:

Post by Steve B »

Scally wrote:
I have the same 24 emulations as before, but these are shown as 2 characters each instead of 3, leaving space for 8 more, interesting 😄
Hmmmm

i wonder if this could fill one of the 8 empty spaces....

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10261668@N05/46962788021/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJcE1yf ... e=youtu.be

I am more excited about a Robot Adversary emulation then i am to have the latest and greatest Stockfish or Komodo Engine

not to mention it would be the first NRA i owned that didnt break within the first 2-4 Hrs.of playing time(and i owned 3)

Amazing Regards
Steve
Mythbuster

Post by Mythbuster »

Yep, this will fill one space ... Ruud wrote, it will come without extra costs ... and I also know the second free slot ... :wink:

Fast V2 Regards,
Sascha
Scally

Post by Scally »

Hi Guys,

Yes both are now mentioned on the Phoenix Chess Systems site: http://phoenixcs.nl

Al.
Steve B
Site Admin

Post by Steve B »

Well if the NRA can be emulated...
Can a Rev III Robot be far behind??

Rise Of The Robots Regards
Steve