A new Ratings list

Designed for posting all types of tournaments and Games (e.g. Man vs. Machine, Computer vs. Computer and basement matches.)

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

A new Ratings list

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Dylan Sharp

Re: A new Ratings list

Post by Dylan Sharp »

Deep HIARCS 12 v Zappa Mexico UCI 63.5-36.5 (+42-15=43)
HIARCS 11.2 MP v Zappa Mexico UCI 59.5-40.5 (+34-15=51)
Zappa Mexico under-performs under these quick time controls.

I think a new rating list for reference is a good idea, though I'm not fully convinced of Chessbase book learning (if it's the one that plays the most played moves, not necessarily the best ones) but I'm looking forward for the results.

Hiarcs 12 is doing very good!
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

The average of these first five tests gives Hiarcs 12 MP a rating of 70 elo higher than Hiarcs 11.2. Not bad... :-)
fallstalk

crumbs from the table

Post by fallstalk »

:roll: what does this mean? :idea: Deep HIARCS 12 v Rybka 2.3.2a UCI 51-49 (+32-30=28)
Dylan Sharp

Re: crumbs from the table

Post by Dylan Sharp »

fallstalk wrote::roll: what does this mean? :idea: Deep HIARCS 12 v Rybka 2.3.2a UCI 51-49 (+32-30=28)
Hiarcs 12 won 32 games, lost 30 and tied 28 for a total of 51 points over Rybka's 49.
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

In the Rybka match, was Rybka in 64-bit and using the same number of cores as Hiarcs?

EDIT: Sorry, I should have read the match conditions first: "both processors used, 32-bit".
Vinvin

Post by Vinvin »

To the hiarcs team : Could you update the chart here please : http://www.hiarcs.com/hiarcs_info.htm

Thanks !
Vincent
Krazyken

Post by Krazyken »

This at least gives an indication of the relative strengths of these programs and there books when they are playing at full strength.
I've been wanting to see such a list for quite some time. (but that should be their books)
Ray

Post by Ray »

Surprisingly, there are no rating lists which test the complete chess program (engine+book) at blitz or rapid time controls. The SSDF and Selective Search rating lists do test this at tournament time controls of 3 minutes a move but as a result these lists take some considerable time to play enough games to rate a program.
Yes you're right, there is a gap there and it would be good to see it filled. I've been intending to run own book matches myself as an exercise on the side.

The other popular internet rating lists of the CEGT and CCRL do not allow engines to use their opening books and disable any position learning capabilities which handicaps programs like HIARCS which have learning features for positions and their books.
I don't see how you can get a reliable ratings list with learning turned on. For example, did Hiarcs play Rybka as it's first match with no accumulated learning, or did it play Rybka last and then have the benefit of accumulated learing at that point, and therfore get a better result ? The sequence in which you play games could affect the rating significantly, couldn't it ? Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's a question not a criticism

It's a pity that you're not using a 64-bit O/S, because programs like Rybka are severely handicapped on a 32-bit platform. Still, you can argue that it is a common platform, equal for all, and you'd be right, but it's a platform that will ensure Hiarcs gets a better result comparatively by not letting the 64-bit engines show their prowess. Fork out £50 for XP X64 and start again :wink:

Still good to see though.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

I think very few customers have a 64bit OS and it will stay that way for a long time. I think many now have a dual core system but very few other than us Computer Chess geeks are running a 64bit os - so for the majority of customers 32bit results are more interesting. Surely the main purpose of any ratings list is to show what you can expect on the average hardware of most customers not the geeks.
Ray

Post by Ray »

I would think that most of your customer base are chess geeks, and most of them have 64-bit O/S. But who knows - you presumably don't have the information either as to what your customers have. So it's an unknown. But one thing is for certain, you won't see Rybka competing in major tournaments with 32-bit :wink:

Any comment on the learning issue I raised ?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Ray wrote:I would think that most of your customer base are chess geeks, and most of them have 64-bit O/S. But who knows - you presumably don't have the information either as to what your customers have. So it's an unknown. But one thing is for certain, you won't see Rybka competing in major tournaments with 32-bit :wink:

Any comment on the learning issue I raised ?
Your wrong about 64bit very few are interested in it, at the moment. If an author like Mark or Stefan spend time working on learning it should be used - if the other authors dont implement it it is their problem. If you load the engine at home learning is on - if you load it on playchess learning is on.

So your ratings list is based on rybka in tournaments? That wont help a customer at home decide with his 1 or 2 cpu 32 bit machine.
Ray

Post by Ray »

It's your list and you choose the conditions for it - no problem with that at all. It's very useful 32-bit or 64-bit and a welcome addition.

I don't think any list out there can predict tournament performance and none claim to. Too many variables in those - different hardware, bigger hardware, special books, it makes them exciting and interesting and nail-biting. Paderborn went down to the wire and what a result !!

I really only wanted a comment on this, to increase my understanding, which you haven't given yet
I don't see how you can get a reliable ratings list with learning turned on. For example, did Hiarcs play Rybka as it's first match with no accumulated learning, or did it play Rybka last and then have the benefit of accumulated learning at that point, and therfore get a better result ? The sequence in which you play games could affect the rating significantly, couldn't it ? Please correct me if I'm wrong, it's a question not a criticism
Mark Uniacke
Hiarcs Author

Post by Mark Uniacke »

Hi Ray,

The SSDF have been testing with learning for 15 years and I certainly would NOT question the reliability of their rating list - I think it is very reliable.
Best wishes,
Mark

https://www.hiarcs.com
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Ray has a good point though Mark.

Even if a rating list is constructed by one sole tester, engines accumulate learning at different rates.
When a new engine gets added to such a rating list, then it plays with no learning as yet against engines which could have months or years of accumulated learning.

Then if you have more than one tester involved in constructing such a list, the learning accumulated by an engine on one tester's computer is different to the learning accumulated by the same engine on the computers of other testers.
Testing with learning off circumvents this problem.

It's a tricky issue.

Regards, Graham.

PS - thanks for Hiarcs 12 and keep up your efforts. 8)