HIARCS 12 Learning...

Get your specific HIARCS/Junior support questions answered here as well as up-to-the-minute news!

Moderators: Watchman, Mark Uniacke, mrudolf

Shaun Brewer

HIARCS 12 Learning...

Post by Shaun Brewer »

H12 is installed in the F11 GUI running on Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I was running an experiment with learning on 'Engine match' (or trying too)

However when I checked in

C:\Users\Shaun\AppData\Roaming\HIARCS Chess

after a a decent number of games there was no learning file and the book last updated date/time was not updated?

Have you seen this before?

I think it may be due to installing H12 but not loading it only running an engine match?

As at some point the learning file was created and book updated - I think this coincided with me loading the engine and re-checking the settings?

Shaun
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Re: HIARCS 12 Learning...

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Shaun Brewer wrote:H12 is installed in the F11 GUI running on Vista Ultimate 64-bit

after a a decent number of games there was no learning file and the book last updated date/time was not updated?

I think it may be due to installing H12 but not loading it only running an engine match?

As at some point the learning file was created and book updated - I think this coincided with me loading the engine and re-checking the settings?

Shaun
I suspect it is the fact that your running an engine match and the engine is never unloaded until after the last game when the file should be written.
Andrew

Post by Andrew »

I've definitely seen what Harvey suggests, the learning file gets updated
when the engine is unloaded (Shredder seems to update it immediately)

I suggested to Mark some time ago that it be possible to vary the learning to make it add results more often (eg every move) or less often, the former
would be very useful for analysing positions or specific openings. Hopefully
this can eventually happen!

Andrew
Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

Harvey Williamson wrote:
Shaun Brewer wrote:H12 is installed in the F11 GUI running on Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Shaun
I suspect it is the fact that your running an engine match and the engine is never unloaded until after the last game when the file should be written.
Thanks Harvey - so I must avoid Fritz GUI 'Engine matches' if I want to see Hiarcs learning...

Do you happen to know if I set up a tounament with just 2 engines in the Fritz GUI if it will avoid the problem?
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Shaun Brewer wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:

Shaun
Thanks Harvey - so I must avoid Fritz GUI 'Engine matches' if I want to see Hiarcs learning...

Do you happen to know if I set up a tounament with just 2 engines in the Fritz GUI if it will avoid the problem?
Hi Shaun,

I think the file is still being created in memory but not written to the hd till the match ends. I tend to use tournaments for all my beta testing as I like the engines to be reloaded for each game - this is for learning off games mainly as I do not want retained hash to be carried to a new game.

In a tournament the file will be written to on the hd at the end of each game.

Best wishes,
Harvey
Shaun Brewer

Post by Shaun Brewer »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Hi Shaun,

I think the file is still being created in memory but not written to the hd till the match ends. I tend to use tournaments for all my beta testing as I like the engines to be reloaded for each game - this is for learning off games mainly as I do not want retained hash to be carried to a new game.

In a tournament the file will be written to on the hd at the end of each game.

Best wishes,
Harvey
I will use tournament mode to ensure the learning is recorded for any learning tests

thanks again

Shaun

P.S. Are there any tools/plans to be able to combine learning files