8th Freestyle Tournament 2008

This forum is for general discussions and questions, including Collectors Corner and anything to do with Computer chess.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, Steve B, Watchman

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the fen tag before the upgrade.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

8th Freestyle Tournament 2008

Post by Harvey Williamson »

The qualifying tournament is in its final round. The link below will be updated with the scores. There have been several GM draws in the last couple of rounds - people making sure they qualify for the final.

http://80.237.188.74/rooms/freestyle_B.htm

see also: http://freestylechess.com/
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

A nice report on the qualifying tournament http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=4577
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

The Freestyle final is in play at the moment. I will post the final results here. Interestingly Vas rajlich was knocked out in the prelims. His wife Iweta, nickname Rybusia, got to the final. Strangely she is playing in the Freestyle tournament while she is also playing in a tournament in Bulgaria. So I guess she has passed her login to her defeated husband!?

I am told this is the relevant rule - i am sure someone will translate it?

(4) Es ist nicht gestattet, das Turnier mit mehr als einem Account (Spitznamen, Handle,virtueller Identität usw.) zu bestreiten. Der Turnierleiter ist zur Überprüfung berechtigt,die IP-Adressen der Spieler zurückzuverfolgen. Es ist nicht gestattet, dass verschiedene Spieler sich unter derselben IP-Adresse einloggen. Für den Fall eines Verstoßes sind alle betroffenen Accounts unverzüglich vom Turnier auszuschließen.

This was being played live at the same time:

Erdo posted this on the CSS German foum:
Also lieber Reporter !

Nur zu deiner bescheidenen INFO, die Iveta spielt gerade selber bei den "Plovdiv/Bulgaria" Turnier mit. Und wenn du noch zeit findest kannst du ihr Spiel noch Live mitverfolgen im Übertragungsraum ;-)

Bye €rdo

[Event "EICC 2008"]
[Site "Plovdiv/Bulgaria"]
[Date "2008.04.25"]
[Round "5"]
[White "IM Rajlich, Iweta(POL)"]
[Black "GM Hoang Thanh Trang(HUN)"]
[Result "*"]
[WhiteElo "2411"]
[BlackElo "2477"]
[PlyCount "122"]
[EventDate "2008.??.??"]

1. d4 f5 2. Bg5 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Qd2 Bg7 5. O-O-O h6 6. Bf4 Nf6 7. f3 c6 8. h4
Be6 9. Nh3 Nbd7 10. Nf2 Qa5 11. e3 b5 12. a3 Nb6 13. Nce4 Qxd2+ 14. Nxd2 O-O
15. Nb3 Nfd7 16. Na5 Rac8 17. g4 fxg4 18. Nxg4 Bxg4 19. fxg4 e5 20. dxe5 Nxe5
21. g5 h5 22. Bh3 Rce8 23. b3 c5 24. Nb7 d4 25. Nxc5 dxe3 26. Bxe3 Ng4 27. Bxg4
Rxe3 28. Be6+ Kh7 29. Rhf1 Re8 30. Bd7 R8e5 31. Na6 Nd5 32. Bc6 Nc3 33. Rd3
Re1+ 34. Rxe1 Rxe1+ 35. Kd2 Re2+ 36. Kc1 Re6 37. Nb8 a5 38. Bf3 b4 39. axb4
axb4 40. Nd7 Na2+ 41. Kd1 Nc3+ 42. Kd2 Nb5 43. Nc5 Bc3+ 44. Kc1 Re1+ 45. Rd1
Nd4 46. Rxe1 Bxe1 47. Bd5 Bxh4 48. Ne4 Kg7 49. Kd2 Nf3+ 50. Kd3 Nxg5 51. Nxg5
Bxg5 52. c3 bxc3 53. Kxc3 Bd8 54. Kd3 g5 55. Bf3 Kg6 56. Ke2 g4 57. Kf2 Kg5 58.
Bd1 Kf4 59. Kg2 Ba5 60. Be2 Bb4 61. Bd1 Bd6 *
Vempele

Post by Vempele »

Two accounts must not share an IP.

(you're not allowed to use more than one account, but IPs seem to be the only thing used for detection).
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

3 rounds to go today and the current standings can be seen here http://80.237.188.74/rooms/freestyle.htm

Komodo withdrew from the tournament after only 3 games played so according to FIDE rules as less than 50% of the games were played all his games count as losses.

The leader Ultima is Eros Riccio a strong correspondence player from Italy.
Lukas

Post by Lukas »

Harvey Williamson wrote:The Freestyle final is in play at the moment. I will post the final results here. Interestingly Vas rajlich was knocked out in the prelims. His wife Iweta, nickname Rybusia, got to the final. Strangely she is playing in the Freestyle tournament while she is also playing in a tournament in Bulgaria. So I guess she has passed her login to her defeated husband!?

(4) Es ist nicht gestattet, das Turnier mit mehr als einem Account (Spitznamen, Handle,virtueller Identität usw.) zu bestreiten. Der Turnierleiter ist zur Überprüfung berechtigt,die IP-Adressen der Spieler zurückzuverfolgen. Es ist nicht gestattet, dass verschiedene Spieler sich unter derselben IP-Adresse einloggen. Für den Fall eines Verstoßes sind alle betroffenen Accounts unverzüglich vom Turnier auszuschließen.

This was being played live at the same time:

Erdo posted this on the CSS German foum:
Also lieber Reporter !

Nur zu deiner bescheidenen INFO, die Iveta spielt gerade selber bei den "Plovdiv/Bulgaria" Turnier mit. Und wenn du noch zeit findest kannst du ihr Spiel noch Live mitverfolgen im Übertragungsraum ;-)

Bye €rdo

[Event "EICC 2008"]
[Site "Plovdiv/Bulgaria"]
[Date "2008.04.25"]
[Round "5"]
[White "IM Rajlich, Iweta(POL)"]
[Black "GM Hoang Thanh Trang(HUN)"]
[Result "*"]
[WhiteElo "2411"]
[BlackElo "2477"]
[PlyCount "122"]
[EventDate "2008.??.??"]

1. d4 f5 2. Bg5 g6 3. Nc3 d5 4. Qd2 Bg7 5. O-O-O h6 6. Bf4 Nf6 7. f3 c6 8. h4
Be6 9. Nh3 Nbd7 10. Nf2 Qa5 11. e3 b5 12. a3 Nb6 13. Nce4 Qxd2+ 14. Nxd2 O-O
15. Nb3 Nfd7 16. Na5 Rac8 17. g4 fxg4 18. Nxg4 Bxg4 19. fxg4 e5 20. dxe5 Nxe5
21. g5 h5 22. Bh3 Rce8 23. b3 c5 24. Nb7 d4 25. Nxc5 dxe3 26. Bxe3 Ng4 27. Bxg4
Rxe3 28. Be6+ Kh7 29. Rhf1 Re8 30. Bd7 R8e5 31. Na6 Nd5 32. Bc6 Nc3 33. Rd3
Re1+ 34. Rxe1 Rxe1+ 35. Kd2 Re2+ 36. Kc1 Re6 37. Nb8 a5 38. Bf3 b4 39. axb4
axb4 40. Nd7 Na2+ 41. Kd1 Nc3+ 42. Kd2 Nb5 43. Nc5 Bc3+ 44. Kc1 Re1+ 45. Rd1
Nd4 46. Rxe1 Bxe1 47. Bd5 Bxh4 48. Ne4 Kg7 49. Kd2 Nf3+ 50. Kd3 Nxg5 51. Nxg5
Bxg5 52. c3 bxc3 53. Kxc3 Bd8 54. Kd3 g5 55. Bf3 Kg6 56. Ke2 g4 57. Kf2 Kg5 58.
Bd1 Kf4 59. Kg2 Ba5 60. Be2 Bb4 61. Bd1 Bd6 *
Sometimes things are different than they look at first ;)
I think, Larry's last post in this thread is quite interesting:
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... pl?tid=388
:shock:

Best wishes,
Lukas
Mars

Post by Mars »

Harvey Williamson wrote:The Freestyle final is in play at the moment. I will post the final results here. Interestingly Vas rajlich was knocked out in the prelims. His wife Iweta, nickname Rybusia, got to the final. Strangely she is playing in the Freestyle tournament while she is also playing in a tournament in Bulgaria. So I guess she has passed her login to her defeated husband!?

I try to be as precise as possible (German rule texts are rarely expressed elegantly..).

Ít is not allowed to play the tournament with more than one account (nick, handle, virtual identity etc.). For verification purposes the tournament director is allowed to track back the IP addresses of the players. It is not allowed for different players to log in using the same IP address. In the case of a breach of the rules all relevant/concerned accounts are to be disqualified immediately.

The IP bit appears to be rather strange since Iveta and Vasik wouldn't be allowed to play using the same internet connection (assuming that they live in the same house). But this can't be meant - it seems that the IP is just thought of as a tool to identify breaches of the first sentence - which implies that it is not allowed for one person to play for different accounts. The problem of course is that you usually can't enforce that even if you had access to all IPs (you could use different anonymizers for example).

In my humble opinion, however - assuming that the "tournament" consists of both the prelims and the final - it is a clear breach of this rule if Vasik played under one account in the prelims and under a second one in the finals. Under the aforementioned assumption the rule is pretty clear about that.

Martin
turbojuice1122

Post by turbojuice1122 »

Mars wrote:
The IP bit appears to be rather strange since Iveta and Vasik wouldn't be allowed to play using the same internet connection (assuming that they live in the same house). But this can't be meant - it seems that the IP is just thought of as a tool to identify breaches of the first sentence - which implies that it is not allowed for one person to play for different accounts. The problem of course is that you usually can't enforce that even if you had access to all IPs (you could use different anonymizers for example).
All agreed up through this point.
Mars wrote:
In my humble opinion, however - assuming that the "tournament" consists of both the prelims and the final - it is a clear breach of this rule if Vasik played under one account in the prelims and under a second one in the finals. Under the aforementioned assumption the rule is pretty clear about that.
I think that here we must talk about such things as "at the same time". Basically, I disagree that the term "tournament" here can apply to the prelims and the final because it is regular practice that teams who didn't make the finals are added to some of the teams who did make the finals. This has always happened and always will happen. There is nothing wrong with this. If this becomes against the rules, I would say that the spirit of Freestyle is dead, and that the tournaments should no longer occur.
Mars

Post by Mars »

turbojuice1122 wrote: I think that here we must talk about such things as "at the same time".
There is no such expression in the above cited rule. It refers to "the tournament".
turbojuice1122 wrote:Basically, I disagree that the term "tournament" here can apply to the prelims and the final because it is regular practice that teams who didn't make the finals are added to some of the teams who did make the finals. This has always happened and always will happen. There is nothing wrong with this.

Well, if this is the case and everybody agrees then there would be no problem with someone playing for team A in the prelims, to be kicked out and to play for team B in the finals. But then the rules should be more clear about that which they are not at the moment.
turbojuice1122 wrote:If this becomes against the rules, I would say that the spirit of Freestyle is dead, and that the tournaments should no longer occur.
Not sure about that. The point to play preliminary rounds is to eliminate players who are too weak to stand against the best. If you allow them to reincarnate under a different nick this becomes impossible.

In a football tourney (like the European Chapions League or UEFA Cup) it is not allowed to let players play for different clubs. If you're a player of a team which lost then you're out. You cannot change the team and turn a loser into a winner. But maybe the difference is that this is real sports.

Martin
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

http://80.237.188.74/rooms/freestyle.htm Freestyle is all over congratulations to Eros Riccio my Correspondence Chess team mate in the Champions League 2007 Fast Track Group.
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

Hetman

Post by Hetman »

Mars wrote: In a football tourney (like the European Chapions League or UEFA Cup) it is not allowed to let players play for different clubs. If you're a player of a team which lost then you're out. You cannot change the team and turn a loser into a winner. But maybe the difference is that this is real sports.

Martin
Freestyle has nth to the any League or sport. It is the wild monster. Teams are having an unequal hardware, support etc. Everything is allowed. The IP issue looks here as the nonsense.

It is better to stop the fire ;-) before the forums match, is not it ?
Rgds
Hetman
Harvey Williamson
Site Admin

The games of the Freestyle can be downloaded here http://f23.parsimony.net/forum50826/messages/181085.htm